Punkbuster, BF2 and Windows 7 Doesn't Work

Erik550c

Nov 30, 2009
I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64 and tried to install a fresh bf2 copy, patch and play online. I guess PunkBuster wasn't working with Win 7 betas, but I have the final release and they are supposed to support it now form what I hear. So I tried a lot of the work arounds online where people suggest to run the PnkBstrA and B.exe in compatibility mode, but after fresh installing Battlefield 2 it doesn't put a PnkBstrA.exe or PnkBstrB.exe on my computer hence the lack of the service running. The manual update of the BF2 Pb files works fine, but I get kicked from the servers for not having the Pb service running. How the heck do I get the service running when the files don't even get put on my computer? I've checked the C:\windows\syswow64 folder and all over the place. Any ideas?

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I had that happen with Vista once out of the blue a couple months back, but since I installed 7 64 bit it ran fine from the start.

Erik550c

Nov 30, 2009
"Manually update pb and install patch 1.51"
I did both of these. It manually updated fine and the patch installed fine.
(my quotes in response to the two things i did, did not show up sorry).

"Run BF2.exe as admin"
I did this as well. PnkbstrA and B are not even on my computer after the manual update or the installation of BF2. Seems to me the BF2 installer is not installing the service right. Tried running it in Vista compatibility mode and XP with no change.

Last edited:

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Are you running BF2 as admin? I had this same issue with Joint Operations and to get it fixed you have to run JO as admin, then in game have it update by logging onto a PB enable server and quickly going to console and typing in the command for a security update.

Erik550c

Nov 30, 2009
Are you running BF2 as admin? I had this same issue with Joint Operations and to get it fixed you have to run JO as admin, then in game have it update by logging onto a PB enable server and quickly going to console and typing in the command for a security update.

it won't let me quickly switch to console when i go into a pb enabled server. bf2 kinda freezes up and then kicks right away when you go into a pb server without the right pb crap. i tried running as admin on my shortcut and on the actual bf2.exe executable... also tried vista compatibility mode. so frustrating, can't figure this one out!

Erik550c

Nov 30, 2009
Did you try running the BF2 installer as admin?

yup, tried that one. after the point in the set up where the voice communication screen comes up and i click save settings it closes it and hangs (i wouldn't have noticed anything either than the set up not continuing like normal had i not checked the task manager and terminated the voice set up). the installation continued and finished seemingly correct.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
I just did this yesterday! The BF2 disc will not install the current version of the Punkbuster services on your machine (obviously, it's from 2005!).
PBSetup does not install the PnkBstrA & B services on your machine (at least, it didn't for me).
Find and run PBSVC.exe (or something like that) on the Evenbalance site. Run that first. This installs the services. Then verify that the services are running in the task manager. Perhaps run PBSetup again. Then go play!

PS. If the services are running and you are still getting kicked with Punkbuster communications failures, look to see if you have Windows Firewall running, and temporarily disable it. If it runs fine after that, look for instructions on how to set the firewall to not interfere with Punkbuster.

Last edited:

Erik550c

Nov 30, 2009
I just did this yesterday! The BF2 disc will not install the current version of the punkbuster services on your machine (obviously, it from 2005!).
PBSetup does not install the pnkbstra & B services on your machine (at least, it didn't for me).
Find and run PBSVC.exe (or something like that) on the Evenbalance site. Run that first. This installs the services Then verify that the services are running in the task manager. Perhaps run PBSetup again. Then go play!

PS. If the services are running and you are still getting kicked with punkbuster communications failures, look to see if you have Windows Firewall running, and temporarily disable it. If it runs fine after that, look for instructions on how to set the firewall to not interfere with Punkbuster.

thanks! this is exactly what is going on here... When I find the link I will post it here

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I watched a team of people play BF2 this weekend at PDXLan 15. Some of them were running Win7 and all were using punkbuster, so it's possible.