Pulsing fan on visiontek gf3ti200, and is visiontek still in business

fongpee

Oct 12, 2001
my visiontek chipset fan is pulsing, making an annoying noise...i felt the airflow, it's pulsing also. This used to happen only when i turned on my computer when it was cold, ie off for over 30 seconds or longer. I could get rid of it before by shutting of my computer, then powering it back on after a couple seconds...the sound would disappear, but that method no longer works. (yes, i was lazy and didn't bother with actually fixing it).

Do you think it's because of a faulty fan? Or because of the faulty electric current? I have a spare fan that I could swap it out with, but that would void the warranty.

So that leads to the next question... is visiontek still in business? should i expect anything from the warranty?

any suggestions?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
you can try to plug the fan header into a different header on your mobo, but my guess is the fan is dying or is dirty.

As for VT honoring its lifetime warranty, there were mixed signals lately. One guy said he got 3 after he RMA'd his gf3 ti200, people after him said they just never returned his calls. Another person mentioned VT is still in existence, they just filed chapter 11 and aren't in the video card business anymore. Wouldn't hurt to try and contact them, but don't waste too much time. If you can't, then there's no harm in replacing the fan yourself as voiding a non-existent warranty won't mean much :(

Chiz

pcmax

Jun 17, 2001
The ThermalTake Blue orbs fit this card just fine for less than $15 shipped if you don't want to try the RMA route.

fongpee

Oct 12, 2001
thanks guys, I filed tech report for it, but haven't received any word back...so i'll just use a new fan.