Public Worker Fired After Securing Gun

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...ired-after-finding-gun-on-the-job-20120514-ms

foxdetroit said:
John Chevilott found a gun, secured it, brought it back to the road yard in Westland, which is Wayne County property, before he turned it into police. That seems to be where the problem lies because right now in Wayne County there is not a policy describing what to do if an employee finds a gun on the job.

This guy seems to be getting a raw deal. But at least his union seems to be on his side and trying to help.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Moral of the story: always leave bad juju where you find it, even if it fucks someone else.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What is a guy supposed to do, have to side with the Union on this case. An injustice must be corrected.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What is a guy supposed to do, have to side with the Union on this case. An injustice must be corrected.

I'd cut him a break too but when a gun is found it's a potential crime scene. He should not have touched it.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That is fucked up. A lot of people in Detroit would have kept it or tried to sell it for quick cash. Wayne County PD and the school should be hailing this man as an example of civic responsibility.

His mistake was in waiting for the LEOs, not actually calling them and saying "Hey, my crew and I just discovered a loaded gun in the grass, could you please come and grab this we don't want any kids to find it and kill someone. You guys might already be looking for this as evidence, we will make sure no one touches it."

Should he lose his job over it? Hell no!

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
That is screwed up. So much for attempting to do the right thing.

Either calling the cops to take possession of the gun or doing what he did were the right options for him to consider and/or do.

But the company firing him and the two other "charges" on his employment record; that's 100% grade A bullshit. They need to take a huge PR hit for this as well as give him his job back.

The fact that he was two years from retirement and got termed for this incident is also pretty stinky as well. "Hey, he's two years from retirement. Let's term him and save some bucks on his retirement and pension."

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Foolish decision on the part of his superiors. This sort of case illustrates the need for unions, yes, even in the public sector. Who's going to stand up for him otherwise?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Big surprise! Wayne county, run by corrupt Democrats. Typical and amusing.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Foolish decision on the part of his superiors. This sort of case illustrates the need for unions, yes, even in the public sector. Who's going to stand up for him otherwise?

Looks like the citizens and news media stood up for him.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...red-after-finding-gun-on-the-job-20120514-ms#

Here's an update report stating pressure from outraged citizens toward the county resulted in the county offering this worker his job back--under the idiotic presmise that he'll be suspended rather than fired.

I see. Strange that the union's involvement on his behalf isn't mentioned further. Seems like it would be good for their profile to help this guy out.

And this guy took his complaint to the union, so he apparently values them...

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
I see. Strange that the union's involvement on his behalf isn't mentioned further. Seems like it would be good for their profile to help this guy out.

And this guy took his complaint to the union, so he apparently values them...

I'm sure the union would try to help him out, at least I would hope so. Still doesn't change the fact that this really does not illustrate any "need" for a union. Here's what we don't know: This guy's history of employment, his relationship with his superiors, and yes, the fairness of his superiors in meting out discipline. There is 27 years of backstory we don't know about. Maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe his corrupt democrat overlords really are assholes. Don't know, don't care. One thing is sure, unions are necessary for slackers and fuckups.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Call the cops and his\her supervisor about the location of the gun. I would never bring a gun to work.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I'd cut him a break too but when a gun is found it's a potential crime scene. He should not have touched it.

It's what I'd do if I found a firearm like that. Call the cops and have them come out and pick it up. I'm not saying I support the County in this, they're a bunch of idiots.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Call the cops and his\her supervisor about the location of the gun. I would never bring a gun to work.

I'd say it wasn't a smart move. I wouldn't have fired the guy but people generally don't just lose a gun. I'd immediately suspect that there might be an illegal act responsible for out being there and consequently wouldn't want to disturb anything. I would have thought that the obvious way to handle the situation would be to contact the authorities.