Public DNS? Adelphia's are REALLY BAD!

DNS has been down for hours. I'm absolutly sick of their halfassed server setup.
Anyone have a LAN or know of any DNS servers I can use?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you talking about DNS for your internet connection, or DNS for your web site? If it's for a site, the best is http://www.zoneedit.com. If it's for you connection, I think you can pretty much use any ISP in your area.

Russ, NCNE

DNS for my website? What?
If you mean if I hosted a website. If that was the case, I would have no problems, my DNS and BIND would be flawless.

My connections DNS is absolute crap, they have like a 386 serving all the DNS requests for all of western NY.

tkdkid

Oct 13, 2000
Well, I know that you can set up linux to be a dns server. Anybody know of free dns server software for windows?

You're not running windows 2000 server by chance, are you?

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Just start looking up records for ISPs in the area. Going all the way across the country would be slow. 205.152.0.20 and 205.152.0.5 are bellsouth's here in Atlanta, when they're up. I've actually put in a friend's linux box as a tritairy <sp> address in my router because Bellsouth seems to sometimes have a hard time keeping those up. He uses bellsouth's servers as well, but keeps a cache so he doesn't have to lookup addresses everytime (and can still feed me a few domains when Bellsouth's servers are down).