ptz garage door opener

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by markcamp, Feb 10, 2013.

1. markcamp

markcamp Junior Member

maybe someone familiar with ptz cameras and dvr can help me. I have a 8 channel dvr with cameras installed. None of my cameras are ptz. but I wanted to use the ptz control on my dvr to control my garage door opener. is there any way to use the rs232 port on the dvr to make a relay switch to contol my remote garage door opener switch. i have an app on my phone to view cameras and control the ptz. since Im not using the ptz control for the cameras I thought I could build a switch to control the garage door opener. Any suggestions. I am not familiar with how to set up a ptz camera

2. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Sounds like a complicated project. What kind of DVR do you have, and what kind of phone do you have? There are easier ways of doing it, if you don't mind running a second app to handle the garage door portion of it. For example, My Door Opener for iPhone uses an Arduino-based system:

http://mydooropener.com/

The Arduino system receives signals via the built-in Ethernet port, and then hands them off to a relay board. The iPhone app sends the signal to control door open/door close. And since it's all pre-made, the bulk of the work is already done for you. Tutorial here:

http://mydooropener.com/downloads/MyDoorOpener-Instructions-2.pdf

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Remember, the garage door opener sends only a pulse. A pure on/off will burn it up. Been there - done that! :)

4. markcamp

markcamp Junior Member

I have an android phone. thanks kaido for the link. Ive looked at that project before. I will go that way if I have to. I dont have to have anything that tells me the status of the door since I can see the garage door with my phone from my security cameras. I planned to use my wireless garage remote to open the door. Ive already wired into the switch on it so all I need is some type of relay to close the switch. Thanks for your help. any other help is appreciated.

5. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

What kind of DVR do you have?

6. markcamp

markcamp Junior Member

Its an off brand I purchased through ebay. it is china made and the instructions are a joke. it is h264 if that helps. I use vmeye app on my phone to view cameras.

7. markcamp

markcamp Junior Member

I actually was incorrect. the port on the dvr is rs-485. not rs-232