Psychotic Engineer at Work

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
warning: no cliffs notes

There is a guy I work with (Engineer, mid 40's, unmarried). I will refer to him as Nutjob. Anyway, Nutjob is a quiet guy with an ?odd? personality.

Since I?ve worked with Nutjob, I?ve learned many things:

1. He becomes extremely offended if anyone says ?good morning? or ?how are you doing.? He says it is immoral to ask someone those types of questions. He cursed at and slammed a door (then locked it) in a lady?s face when she said ?good morning.? He was written up for that the other day.

2. He called in sick 2 days in a row a while back. When my boss asked him about his illness and if he was ok, he became belligerent and said he didn?t want to discuss it.

3. He was put on some kind of medication. For a while, he was acting normally. Nutjob stopped taking the pills and he?s back to his psychotic self.

4. Several years ago, he had a verbal altercation with another employee. Nutjob, in the presence of a supervisor and 5 or 6 coworkers, threatened to kill everyone in the building. I don?t know the entire story, but the supervisor claimed to have amnesia and Nutjob got away with the verbal threat.

5. He refuses to shake hands with clients, my boss or anyone else. I?m certain it has nothing to do with germs.

The entire building has been sent a memo stating that we are not allowed to talk to Nutjob. We cannot say hi, hello, good morning, have a nice day, what's wrong with you, etc. We are not even supposed to go near his work area. Something is very wrong with this man. Everyone is scared that he will come to work and start spraying bullets. The department acts as though he?s fine. They refuse to do anything.

Anyone else work with severely antisocial psychos? How does/did your company handle it?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
LOL that guy does sound nuts... and he's still working there?

Never met a nutty person at work. Only complaints i have are people that SMELL.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
We have no one like that here but we do have one employee who's very unstable due to an illness. Management is making all kinds of exceptions to the rules for this guy. While I feel bad for the guy I (and everyone else) am quite annoyed at how far their putting us out to make up for his inabliity to do his job.

They need to move him to a less critical job and hire a replacement, but they won't.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Your HR dept is obviously a bunch of wussies if they let a memo like that circulate. Hell, if they put out something like that where I worked I would go out of my way to "accidentally" say something to him.

Oops, sorry Bob. Didn't mean to spill that open can of tuna fish all over the floor in your area. :evil:

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl
warning: no cliffs notes

There is a guy I work with (Engineer, mid 40's, unmarried). I will refer to him as Nutjob. Anyway, Nutjob is a quiet guy with an ?odd? personality.

Since I?ve worked with Nutjob, I?ve learned many things:

1. He becomes extremely offended if anyone says ?good morning? or ?how are you doing.? He says it is immoral to ask someone those types of questions. He cursed at and slammed a door (then locked it) in a lady?s face when she said ?good morning.? He was written up for that the other day.

2. He called in sick 2 days in a row a while back. When my boss asked him about his illness and if he was ok, he became belligerent and said he didn?t want to discuss it.

3. He was put on some kind of medication. For a while, he was acting normally. Nutjob stopped taking the pills and he?s back to his psychotic self.

4. Several years ago, he had a verbal altercation with another employee. Nutjob, in the presence of a supervisor and 5 or 6 coworkers, threatened to kill everyone in the building. I don?t know the entire story, but the supervisor claimed to have amnesia and Nutjob got away with the verbal threat.

5. He refuses to shake hands with clients, my boss or anyone else. I?m certain it has nothing to do with germs.

The entire building has been sent a memo stating that we are not allowed to talk to Nutjob. We cannot say hi, hello, good morning, have a nice day, what's wrong with you, etc. We are not even supposed to go near his work area. Something is very wrong with this man. Everyone is scared that he will come to work and start spraying bullets. The department acts as though he?s fine. They refuse to do anything.

Anyone else work with severely antisocial psychos? How does/did your company handle it?

I've worked with a crazy like that.

What we did was we assigned a person to be the guy to jump him if he whipped out a gun. We always kept an eye out for duffel bags as that is a sure sign something might be up.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Sundog
Your HR dept is obviously a bunch of wussies if they let a memo like that circulate. Hell, if they put out something like that where I worked I would go out of my way to "accidentally" say something to him.

Oops, sorry Bob. Didn't mean to spill that open can of tuna fish all over the floor in your area. :evil:

:thumbsup:

He obviously doesn't belong there, you just need to help encourage management to get rid of him. :evil:

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
He must be a hell of an engineer if you guys are stil keeping him around

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Sundog

Heh. This memo was an "internal" thing. It only went to people in my section. Our main office is not involved, yet.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Mo0o

Not really. It's a government agency, so it's damned near impossible to get rid of a permanent employee. If they wouldn't fire his ass for threatening to kill everyone, then I'm sure they won't give a sh!t about his most recent activities...

[edit for spelling]

captains

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2003
1. forwarded email to your local news station
2. investigation begins
3. ?
4. profit

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I'd stay clear of him. When the axe does fall, do you want to be the person who annoyed him when he decides to "visit" his old workplace? ;)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
I'd stay clear of him. When the axe does fall, do you want to be the person who annoyed him when he decides to "visit" his old workplace? ;)

That's why I'm nice to him...

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

Not really. It's a goverment agency, so it's damned near impossible to get rid of a permanent employee. If they wouldn't fire his ass for threatening to kill everyone, then I'm sure they won't give a sh!t about his most recent activities...

Make sure you make a list of all the measures you took to protect yourselves in the event your survivors sue the company (gov't) for your death.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Not really. It's a goverment agency, so it's damned near impossible to get rid of a permanent employee. If they wouldn't fire his ass for threatening to kill everyone, then I'm sure they won't give a sh!t about his most recent activities...
And this is why my coworker is still around.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
The supervisor who "forgot" that he threatened everyone would be just as liable as the company if he does something. They're wide open for a lawsuit.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: broon
The supervisor who "forgot" that he threatened everyone would be just as liable as the company if he does something. They're wide open for a lawsuit.

He'd probably be sheltered by our legal department. I'm just hoping Nutjob doesn't go berserk...

vec

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Send email to your supervisor and HR regarding the potential unsafe environment this person is creating. Make copies of this email and their responses and give them to your family.

If he ever goes postal and kills anyone, your family (or others) will have a nice paper trail to prove negligence on your department.