Question PSU under $100

Aditya Kumar

Oct 16, 2018
I am looking for new PSU as my current Corsair VX550 PSU lasted 12 years. I need semi modular or fully modular. I think I should get wattage between 500W to 750W.

I am using :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (95W)
Motherboard : Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
RAM : 2 X 8GB A-Data XPG 3200Mhz CL16
SSD : Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 Gen 3
GPU : Zotac GTX 1660 Twin Fan (125W)
Cabinet Fans : 3 (120mm)
* No LED strips or RGB.

I might buy a new GPU like RTX 3060 or 3060ti in future once price gets back to normal. So even my next GPU won't suck more then 200W. Also my current PSU didn't had 4pin EATX12V for extra power to CPU. I looked some models today but they also don't have that connector. Does it come only with high end PSU?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found some models under $100 can you recommend 2-3 from these or you can also add your choice if you know any better model.

I checked PSU tier list on these sites.

MODEL - TIER

Antec HCG750 Bronze - C
# Antec HCG750 Gold - A
~ Antec EA750G PRO 80 Plus Gold - A
Antec Neo Eco NE550M V2 - D
Antec Neo Eco NE650M V2 - D
ANTEC ARES AP550 - D
ANTEC ARES AP650 - D
Corsair CX650M - C
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 V2 Full Modular MPE-6501-AFAAG - B
# MSI MPG A650GF 80 PLUS GOLD - A
# Deepcool DQ650-M-V2L 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold - B
# Deepcool DQ750-M V2L 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold - C
Silverstone 750W ‎SST-ST75F-GS-V3 - B
Silverstone 750W Gold ET750-HG - B

Label -
~ 7 years warranty
# 10 years warranty
Rest are 5 years warranty

PS : Sometimes it's tough to figure out so there could be error in my list.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah, off of that list, if I was buying one I'd probably pick that one as well.
Ha! I was going to pose a speculation or question. Somewhere there was -- and may still be -- a list of all the manufacturers and the actual origins of their badged and branded products. At least a few of the models in the OP's list are likely rebadged Seasonics.

I've bought units in the last five years that weren't Seasonic and which were priced under $100. But when I build a system for myself, I don't limit the budget for a PSU. True, I suspect that my recent down-for-repair situation with my sig system is due to the PSU going south after 4 years, but I don't think it was just a defect in the PSU that caused it. I think it is related to my vaping-pen disaster that borked my motherboard last January. I suppose I won't feel guilty sending the PSU in under RMA for replacement, but like I said, I think it's a longer-term outcome of my vaping-pen disaster. Well -- s*** happens . . . .

I buy Seasonic Titanium fully modular units. Yes, they cost between $150 and $250, but with 10-year warranties, Seasonic reputation and personal experience, I believe it's the wisest choice I can make.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Ha! I was going to pose a speculation or question. Somewhere there was -- and may still be -- a list of all the manufacturers and the actual origins of their badged and branded products. At least a few of the models in the OP's list are likely rebadged Seasonics.

I've bought units in the last five years that weren't Seasonic and which were priced under $100. But when I build a system for myself, I don't limit the budget for a PSU. True, I suspect that my recent down-for-repair situation with my sig system is due to the PSU going south after 4 years, but I don't think it was just a defect in the PSU that caused it. I think it is related to my vaping-pen disaster that borked my motherboard last January. I suppose I won't feel guilty sending the PSU in under RMA for replacement, but like I said, I think it's a longer-term outcome of my vaping-pen disaster. Well -- s*** happens . . . .

I buy Seasonic Titanium fully modular units. Yes, they cost between $150 and $250, but with 10-year warranties, Seasonic reputation and personal experience, I believe it's the wisest choice I can make.

I think I recall the list you are referring to, and it probably was one of the first two links below. Neither of those have been updated in a long time. The third link is more recent, but I don't know exactly how up to date it is either as it isn't dated (though it does reference a lot more recent model PSUs):

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm not sure about US prices, but I bought a Seasonic Focus GX 650 for myself in March and I've been very happy with it. It runs fanless until it has a significant load.

Reactions: aigomorla

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think I recall the list you are referring to, and it probably was one of the first two links below. Neither of those have been updated in a long time. The third link is more recent, but I don't know exactly how up to date it is either as it isn't dated (though it does reference a lot more recent model PSUs):

There was a time, perhaps five years ago, when I had plenty of time to do this casual research for things like "PSU factory origins".

These days, it's hard to keep up so much. I'm getting old; slowing down, providing care to two disabled people.

I've mentioned elsewhere that my sig computer went down for the second time this year, after almost 5 years of stellar service. I can't upgrade and replace as often as I used to, under the circumstance of always building my own. This focuses the mind and will marvelously if you've grown dependent on a computer for practical things, like accounting, banking, document archival, communication and all general information. I think the unit waiting for repair likely needs a new PSU, because damage may have been done when I had my static charge accident in late January. It was up and running tip-top until July, when I had symptoms that would suggest insufficient power to the PCIE connections -- particularly the graphics card. There had been a graphics malfunction and crash just a week before that. But I swapped the GFX card with a new identical one, with the behavior persisting in such a way that my attention is on the PSU.

Because I've made sure to keep a running household server and I've got two backup computers to do the accounting and banking, I've put my "Baby" aside so I can get some other things done before I give it full attention on a clean workbench. There isn't any single part on that system for which I don't have the required spare part. But we'd like to diagnose and test to find the offending part early in the game, and the PSU looks like it might be the culprit. It was a Seasonic Titanium PSU -- less than 5 years old with a 10-year warranty, but I've been informed that the accident I had in January could cause some internal component to degrade slowly over time.

I guess I'll find out.

Reactions: legcramp