PSU for new Antec P182 build

DoggerCW

Jan 10, 2008
Hey all,

Just a quick question on a good power supply for this case. Mostly my concern is about the fit of the PSU in this case and also having cables long enough to reach everything since alot of what I have read so far indicates that the power supply being installed in the lower chamber results in cable being too short to reach some areas of the computer.

So far my build will include the following:

PSU = ???

CSU = E8500 (when they come out) w/ Tuniq tower or Theraltake 120

MOBO = 780i or maybe 790i (depending on release and availability.)

GPU = 8800 GTS 512 G92. (Would like the ability to SLI later hence the reason for my mobo choice.)

2 x Raptor 150 gig hard drives in Raid 0

Haven't decided on RAM yet but will definetly be looking at DDR3

24inch LCD Dell Widescreen monitor. ( My current system with 7950 in it is having problems with the size of this monitor. It's ok for surfing and what not, but gaming is killing my video card with this size of monitor.)

This machine will definely be used for messing around and learning more about overclocking. But primarily for gaming only since my current system will be my web surfing etc. rig. I don't think I will be doing any water cooling but I chose a case that will accomodate this if I decide to give it a try later on. I just need to make sure I get the right power supply the first time out. Probably looking for something in the 750 range for PSU. I just want to make sure all the cables are long enough.

Thanks in advance.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Antec earthwatts I recently received has the cables from hell- long and lots of 'em. Also uses the crossflow design, which is probably best in a case like the p182.

Premium aftermarket psu's generally have long cables, and cable length specs are often available on the manufacturer's site...

DoggerCW

Jan 10, 2008
Hmmmm well the Earthwatts model only goes up to 500w from what I can find on Newegg. I am thinking I will want at the very least a 650w PSU maybe even a 750w. I am sure this is overkill but I am more of a mind to have too much, as opposed to just enough. And thanks for your quick response.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
None of the Earthwatts models will support dual GTSs. For your system and to support the upgrades you want then you need 500W or better. Now Corsair's HX520 or 620 would be good options if you want modular cables. All of Corsair units have more then long enough cables to support most any case you want to use. If modular cables are not your cup of tea then go with there VX 550.

DoggerCW

Jan 10, 2008
What is the benefit of modular cables versus non-modular?? Or downfall, as I am completely PSU ignorant. And yes I did read the PSU guide but that left me more confused than when I started.

swind

Dec 12, 2006
with modular cables you can remove all the cables you don't need to use to keep your computer cleaner, they are there basically for cable management

DoggerCW

Jan 10, 2008
So I take that to mean that the modular cables all plug into the PSU as opposed to being hard wired?? Hmmm will need to research this more now.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The 24pin main and the P4/EPS connector are hard wired to the units and all other cables are modular. They plug into the side of the PSU. Some PSUs also have the PCI-e connectors hard wired. But if you don't need all the connections a PSU offers then having a Modular PSU allows you to take those unused cables out and not have to worry about bundling up those cables somewhere out of the way in the case.