PSU for Dell Dimension 4600 Tower

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
A friend of mine needs a replacement PSU for his Dell Dimension 4600, so he can add in a new graphics card. At his request I am delegating this question to the experts in our glorious Power Supplies subforum.

From what I've gleaned, the Dimension 4600 uses some sort of non-standard shape of power supply, though I'm fairly sure all the internal connections are the same (standard ATX motherboard 20 pin, molex etc) but is there anywhere that sells PSUs compatible with this other than getting in touch with Dell for a different one?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance :).

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
PC Power and Cooling

Although considering they list some current models as compatible, which I thought used standard PSUs....maybe the 4600 uses a standard PSU, I don't know

Here is Dell's pinout, the arrangement for the motherboard connector looks standard, but I don't know about the keying or the CPU power connector.

http://support.dell.com/suppor.../sm/techov.htm#1084976

edit: nevermind, I didn't read your post closely enough, you said shape, not pinout. Though like I said PC P&C lists their PSU as compatible for the 4600 and a ton of other models, even going into the current models.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the reply, there's a load of FUD going around on the internet about nonstandard PSUs breaking your motherboard and the PSU if you try and replace your Dell standard one, and I'm not sure how much if any of it is reliable. I am fairly sure it has a standard pinout but I thought I'd ask in here just incase. Anyway, I think I'm going to recommend he either gets one of those PCP&C ones or another Thermaltake one they say is specifically compatible.

Anyone else's thoughts or input is still appreciated!