PSU For Antec P280

Tomerv32

Mar 21, 2015
Hey,
I'm having trouble replacing PSU for my P280.
I can't find 500W- long enough cables PSU. (I don't need more power and I want to keep it cheap as possible.)
I bought the SeaSonic Eco 500W which has 55cm eps cable,
and not long enought molex cable for fan controller at the top.
Should I replace it or buy extension cables? (1 or 2 of 10cm)

I saw the corsair CX430M which is 65cm and half modular (maybe long enought if fan face down),
is it a good option?

I don't live in the USA so your recommends may not be relevant for me.. (price/availablity)

My PC:
i5 760
Intel DH55PJ
Geforce GT440

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I use that case with a Silverstone 850W ST85F-P

Works very well but an extension cable is absolutely essential due to the size of the case

Tomerv32

Mar 21, 2015
Okay, anyone else?
I just ordered simple extension cables from ebay,
and I still want to know if I should stay with the ECO 500W or switch to another one,
like the S12ii 430W/Corsair CX430M/anything else in this budget.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I'm not sure what anyone can say regarding this. Not everyone needs a high end power supply. Seasonic makes great power supplies. Yours in on the low end of efficiency. I'm not sure that buying another one helps you out as you'll most likely never recoup the cost in power savings. However, if you think you need a better PSU then you could always save your current one to use for testing should the need arise in the future. I use a Seasonic 860W Platinum power supply with that case and the cable lengths are tight for the 12v 8-pin connectors that power the CPU, but still reach everything I need. If your current PSU is adequate for your needs and you've already ordered some cable extensions then I would stay with that. You'll know after you've tried out the extensions whether that will work for you long term.

20150323_143343_zpso02bqcyu.jpg

20150323_143204_zpsbqtw1rqt.jpg

Tomerv32

Mar 21, 2015
Thanks.
I know the ECO is fine for me,
but I saw the corsair CX430M has 10cm longer cables and it may save me using 1 extension cable then 2,
and it's half modular, so it can be better.
And if not, maybe there's another PSU (maybe the S12ii) that is generaly better (quiet, efficient, quality,sleeved..)?

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
And if not, maybe there's another PSU (maybe the S12ii) that is generaly better (quiet, efficient, quality,sleeved..)?

I have the S12II in my file server. Great PSU. Replaced a S12 (version I) that crapped out after 6 years. Just pay for what you need. If you want higher efficiency, modular cables or whatever then make the purchase. If your current PSU is adequate then just stick with that. I never cheap out on the power supply. It's the heart of your system.

Tomerv32

Mar 21, 2015
After years of cheaping out and HDD lost (I think it was the PSU fault) I just want to buy the right one.
I can choose from almost anything in this budget (S12ii 430W~ECO 500W price) from Antec, Seasonic and Corsair.

I want black PSU with long cables (for my P280), but I don't think such thing exist,
so I ordered extension cables.
Now I consider buying one which is semi modular, and maybe sleeved.
I think it worth to mention that I need the 4 pin ATX connector and not the 8 pin one.

The only option I've seen so far is the Corsair CX430M, which includes everything,
but is it good as the Seasonic S12ii 430W/ Eco 500W?
or maybe the Antec HCG 400/520W (Modular or not..)??
Is the Corsair a good PSU? Should I buy more then 400/430W for the future (despite I don't have any plans upgrading..)

and the cable length doesn't matter despite it's longer,
because it's still not long enough..

Tomerv32

Mar 21, 2015
I thought it can make problems with the voltages,
But I now understand that it only relevant to very long cables.

So now the I need to decide which psu the extension will be connected to..

As I said -
Corsair cx430m
Seasonic eco 500w
Seasonjx s12ii 430w
Antec HCG 400w/520w

Is 400w enough in these days for maybe future upgrade? (I don't plan anything but you can never know..)

The corsair seems like the best option (modular, sleeved, black, 430w, longer cables (less extensions maybe),
Is he good as the seasonic?

I've just been told I could get the corsair cx430 (non M version, without the 80 bronze thing) for free,
Been used for a year.
Should I just take it?

Tomerv32

Mar 21, 2015
I can replace him for another one with no problem.
I prefer something black, maybe modular and maybe better. (and longer if there is)

Now I got the option I wrote or get the cx430 used from friend (older version not the new one).