PSU fan at 100% all the time.

boing

Sep 13, 2001
I've got an Antec SG-650 which is about 9 years old now but not showing any signs of problems other than the fact that it started running its fan at 100% from startup a couple of days ago. On a few occasions it has settled after 10-15 minuts on others it just ran and ran.

I opened HW-INFO and saw nothing on any temps (I don't think it has a dedicated PSU temp reading though) but on a few occasions I saw 'GPU memory errors' up at 55 billion and when the fan settled I opened it again and they were reset to 0 however this morning the fans running flat out and memory errors are at 0.

Other than that I've checked MB connections and run a hoover over the cooling slots but haven't taken it apart yet, any ideas on what could be causing it? or any software that could check PSU tems to see if a sensor's on the blink?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
I disconnected the power connections to the PSU and it still ran the fan up, although after slapping the PSU in frustration the fan is now idling again....

Reactions: billw

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It sounds like your PSU is on its way out. 9 years of use, and the issues you describe, you might want to check its output voltages.

And no, there is no way to read PSU temps with a utility. Although I think the Corsair HXi have that capability.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
What am I looking for in the Voltages? a drop off or fluctuations?

Both. You want to see if your rails are too low, too high, or have high fluctuations.

That unit came with a 5 year warranty, and you've almost doubled that time. Things like capacitors age and can swell over time, so that would be the first thing I would look at based on what you have described.