PSU causing differential breaker trip

AlexMasse

Jan 6, 2016
Hey all,

I just finished assembling my first custom loop after alot of problems and am ready to fill it up with demineralized treated water to start testing it for leaks and clean it at the same time using the Sys Prep provided with my tubing.

I used a brand new Antec HCG-750M psu I received recently and used some small wire to short-circuit the motherboard's 24 pin connector's black and green wires together to bypass the motherboard and connect only the D5 Vario PWM pump also leaving its 4 pins connector unplugged. When I plugged and turned on the PSU, the differential breaker of my kitchen's outlet instantly triggered. When I tried turning on the PSU again, but without anything plugged in the same thing happened again so I'm not sure what's the cause of all this. I red that some devices must be plugged in to power on the PSU safely, but I also red a pump would be enough. I briefly tested the PSU afterward and it seems to be working, but I couldn't find any way to safely test the pump because it's inside my computer's loop.

Please help me I can't figure out what I should do.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
there is probably something wrong with your power supply.

try a different outlet just to be sure though.

or you've somehow plugged your pump in wrong.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
What kind of Corsair PSU is it? Even if you've shorted a rail, it shouldn't trip a breaker. Is the breaker a GFCI and you are not actually tripping the breaker but are tripping the GFCI? If so, you could have an issue with the PSU. Some GFCI's are pretty finicky though, and you might just have to try the PSU somewhere other than your kitchen (or use an extension to a standard socket).

Last edited:

AlexMasse

Jan 6, 2016
Thank you very much for your fast answers.
I've tried the power supply alone (no pump or anything plugged in) again in a regular outlet and it seemed to be working fine.
It is indeed the GFCI that's tripping and not a breaker, sorry for my bad english.
Since it seems to be working fine in my other non GFCI outlets, I don't know if the PSU is faulty or if something is wrong with my GFCI outlets, but I've used those same outlets to power a toaster, coffee machine and water boiler without any problems so far...
I'm not sure if it's safe to use this PSU to power on my brand new pump now.

edit: I made a mistake in my first post, the PSU is a Antec HCG-750M. I'll edit first post to be more accurate.

Last edited: