PSP going for $249, who's buying one?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
God I'm such a whore for toys.

I wasn't gonna get a DS but I got one of those (and have since sold it). Now tonight I buckled and got a PSP. Liking it a lot more than I thought I would so far.

liquidblue

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: ondarkness
hey Skoorb,
For a car payment you can get yourself a PSP.
wooh! go nuts!

and play all those AWESOME games from the PS2, which are shinny games from the PS1.
WOOH!

no thanks.

I think you're confusing it with the nintendo portables and their re-re-re-^ 99-releasing old titles from the first nintendo after every version of their portable hits the market since their prior is missing something that should've been there in the first place (like, duh!, backlight).

Wow. Run-on sentence.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: liquidblue
Originally posted by: ondarkness
hey Skoorb,
For a car payment you can get yourself a PSP.
wooh! go nuts!

and play all those AWESOME games from the PS2, which are shinny games from the PS1.
WOOH!

no thanks.

I think you're confusing it with the nintendo portables and their re-re-re-^ 99-releasing old titles from the first nintendo after every version of their portable hits the market since their prior is missing something that should've been there in the first place (like, duh!, backlight).

Wow. Run-on sentence.

Got mine at midnight... holy smokes this thing is impressive...
this is not just a portable... its a portable media station... the resolution and screen are incredible...
USB- PC flawless
Wireless to internet flawless
games look and play insane on it...
it looks better than the games on the PS2 display box at gamestop and its tiny it fits in your pocket...

until you see one and play movies or games on one.. dont write it off... this thing is years ahead of the DS.. the DS is a toy compared to this... the screens on the DS arnt even in the same league as the PSP... the screen is incrdible....

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
if u buy a big memory card and jump through a few hoops u can encode a dvd i guess. what exact format of mpeg 4 or h264 whatever i dunno.

its a lot of trouble for some entertainment while u poo

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Dunno why but I was at Best Buy at 6AM waiting to get a PSP. Noticed they had a USB cable for sale, it comes with some software. I talked to a dude who works there. he said I don't need the software, but it would make the PC-PSP functionality better (or something like that) I'm not about to spend another $15 bucks just to find out the software is totally useless. Anyone have it and care to comment on what it does? I'm on Sony's site seeing if this is a free download, but apparently it's not, either that or I'm just stupid and can't find it.

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Well as you can tell from my sig I'm a nintendo fanboy, however I own a Xbox, and a PS2 and a Gamecube. (In fact I own 99% every system ever made, I'm a collector).:cool:

Anyway here's the deal I can't wait for the emulation scene pick up on this because it has already been dicussed that software can be run from the memory card. :D

With the specs of the PSP it will be able to handle several consoles that it could emulate perfectly. for instance:

N.E.S.
S.N.E.S.
Genesis
All ATARI consoles
TG-16
Sega Master System.
And several others
INCLUDING the Gameboy Systems (GB, GBC, GBA, GBSP)

AND my personal favorite (not a console),
M.A.M.E.

Oh and before you flame me, Yea if I do use roms it's because I probally own the original game. I own several thousand games (Carts/CDs)

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: QueBert
Dunno why but I was at Best Buy at 6AM waiting to get a PSP. Noticed they had a USB cable for sale, it comes with some software. I talked to a dude who works there. he said I don't need the software, but it would make the PC-PSP functionality better (or something like that) I'm not about to spend another $15 bucks just to find out the software is totally useless. Anyone have it and care to comment on what it does? I'm on Sony's site seeing if this is a free download, but apparently it's not, either that or I'm just stupid and can't find it.

all you need is a cable...
i used the one from my MP3 player
XP detected the PSP and mapped a device for it
its drag and drop items from there.. works great

the media encoding software is nto yet availible to turn your DVDs into watchable by PSP but its coming...
supposedly Sonys compression is better than regular MP4

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CVSiN

the media encoding software is nto yet availible to turn your DVDs into watchable by PSP but its coming...

Why would you even need a cable though? Doesn't the PSP have wireless 802.11b capabilities? Also what about memory stick readers for the PC?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
After staying up all night and playing Darkstalkers, Ridge Racer and Wipeout I am SERIOUSLY considering one. It makes more sense than a console because I'm at bschool all day and hardly ever spend any time in the apt. It makes less sense, however, because I AM at bschool...and besides most of the games I like to play are multiplayer.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
For $250.00 hell no. Why the hell would I want one? Plays only proprietary DVD roms, does not have an internal harddrive, the games out right now arent that great, no internet browser, 32mb of ram, etc..... You know for a little more money you could have a *gasp* laptop? Besides, I dont even own a laptop cause I dont travel much and I dont run into many situations where owning a portable gaming system would be ideal (unless I am bored at work, I love mah-johng), I would rather talk to my friends rather than sit around and play with myself. I am going to the store and pick up a case of miller highlife tonight instead.

liquidblue

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MetalMat
For $250.00 hell no. Why the hell would I want one? Plays only proprietary DVD roms, does not have an internal harddrive, the games out right now arent that great, no internet browser, 32mb of ram, etc..... You know for a little more money you could have a *gasp* laptop? Besides, I dont even own a laptop cause I dont travel much and I dont run into many situations where owning a portable gaming system would be ideal (unless I am bored at work, I love mah-johng), I would rather talk to my friends rather than sit around and play with myself. I am going to the store and pick up a case of miller highlife tonight instead.

Hahaha.

Sorry, immature joke... but still.

And you can't get a laptop for "a little" more. Are you insane? Even if, the cheapest laptop hardware couldn't probably handle heavy graphics. Not to mention a laptop won't fit in your pocket.

"No, no, no no... this doesn't add up at all!" /family guy

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

Hahaha.

And you can't get a laptop for "a little" more. Are you insane? Even if, the cheapest laptop hardware couldn't probably handle heavy graphics. Not to mention a laptop won't fit in your pocket.

I see what your saying, but if someone were to buy this thing as a portable media center they would be a sucker. The media capablities are limited and there are better things out there for cheaper. Now, if they came out with a bad ass FF game, something like FF tactics (not FFTA, that game sucked) then I could see it, they also need to lower the price a little. 250.00 just seems like too much money.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001

Hahaha.

I see what your saying, but if someone were to buy this thing as a portable media center they would be a sucker. The media capablities are limited and there are better things out there for cheaper. Now, if they came out with a bad ass FF game, something like FF tactics (not FFTA, that game sucked) then I could see it, they also need to lower the price a little. 250.00 just seems like too much money.

PSP-Linux Is the answer. Firefox on my PSP? Hell yes! Plus like Epoman said, say hello to playing every single game released before PS2/Cube/Xbox.

BTW: I bought mine this morning and the screen is gorgeous.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Yes UNTIL you see in in REAL LIFE in action you will not believe what it can do. The screen is stunning.

Koing

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: CVSiN

Why would you even need a cable though? Doesn't the PSP have wireless 802.11b capabilities? Also what about memory stick readers for the PC?

you cannot connect to a PC with 802.11b.. its only for going out to the internet and looking for updates and games and other PSPs...

you have to have a cable or a card reader to put stuff on your PSP

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I was never really into handheld games. Most are crappy versions of the console/PC releases...although there are a few exceptions. Not worth $250 though.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I played the PSP today at Best Buy. I wasn't even thinking about getting one but seeing the screen and functionality, and perhaps future Linux port I am going to sell my Dell Axim to get one.