PSP going for $249, who's buying one?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
i'm pretty much broke right now because of this new computer i'm building

maybe in june, when i finish this year of school

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
I too was interested, but $250 is ridiculous. Xbox2 and other crap is around the corner.

Burrens78

Oct 19, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Nope. I've never paid that much for ANY console. I bought the SNES as close to release as I could, and still only paid $182.xx (of course that was 14 years ago)

You do realize that the inflation rate in the US from Jan 1991 to Jan 2005 is about 41%. So in terms of 2005 money, you clearly paid more than $250.00 for that SNES.

Burrens78

Oct 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Burrens78
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Nope. I've never paid that much for ANY console. I bought the SNES as close to release as I could, and still only paid $182.xx (of course that was 14 years ago)

You do realize that the inflation rate in the US from Jan 1991 to Jan 2005 is about 41%. So in terms of 2005 money, you clearly paid more than $250.00 for that SNES.

Oops, just realized that somebody pointed this out already. Sorry.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
screw that... i was never a PS guy and have yet to find any games that can only be found for PS that are totally awesome...

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
They've only sold 800k in Japan to date? I thought they were hotter than this.

They have sold more then that and each week it sells more then the DS in Japan.

Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
I'm tempted. Give me something to do during break at work. I find it interesting it comes with Spiderman 2. What format are these disks? Is it something that we might be able to buy blanks and make our own disks?

The 'movies an games' are on a special discs called UMD (Universl Media Discs). No you won't be able to burn your own movies to it anytime soon.

They give a 32Mb MS Duo Pro which is MORE then enough for 'gaming'. The PS2 has a 8mb memory card! You can stick quite a few pictures on it and 4 songs or so. BUT for movies and video clips you will want at least the 256mb or the 512mb card.

When you buy a digital camera they give you a 32mb when you have a 5MP camera! It is no different. BUT 32MB is more then enough for 'gaming' on. But if you want to use the other features to their potential you are going to have to buy a bigger card.

Koing

CHfan4ever

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2004
Not me.Spending that much money for a simple portable machine, no.I got my hdtv to satisfy my gaming need, and if i need a good portable machine, ill buy a gbSP, whic have an amazing library

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Grr now I kinda don't want to buy the psp no more...

Its worth it imho. Sony is probably loosing 75-100.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
hehe I'm so lucky I COULD get the U.S. verison early. As I know the distributors in Seattle will get it on Friday... hehe

suse920

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
They've only sold 800k in Japan to date? I thought they were hotter than this.

they had supply problems. Couldnt make enough for the demand. Only a million will be shipped to the us on the 24th. This is the next "ipod" type gadget. I'm going to get one with ridge racers and wipe our pure.

Ape

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
I am getting one as well, mainly because I have the ?sickness? (gaming). The battery life is a problem but then again, you can?t have everything. I like the fact that there are some original titles coming out at launch or soon after, and not just a ton or PS2 ports.

Ape Out.
:thumbsup:

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
i just spent $229 for one months heat

wtf I can play solitaire on my computer,
or have my G/F come over and play with her! ;)

those game systems are a bigger waste of time than neffing here in ATOT. :|

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
$229 for one months heat?!

I'd tend to agree cavemanmoron but when you commute it kills the time!

Koing

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
I am tempted. I wonder what the line is going to be like at Best Buy on Thursday. ;)

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
I would like to buy one but I don't play games that much anymore. Its just a fad with me. I have most of the systems right now, If I buy the PSP, it will go on ebay.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
My pre order for WipeOut Pure shipped today :)

My uncle should be getting my other bro a PSP value kit, Lumines, Mercury and MGA for us from the states = cheaper then uk and hella early before here!

Koing