PSA: You can't get what you don't ask for.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
My Dad always told me growing up "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and it's damn true.

The wife and I had a big mix up with our two checking accounts and as a result ended up bouncing about 12 purchases/checks before we even realized the error, it was a total of $258 in overdraft fees alone! plus the negative money owed. My wife was all upset and was just ready to eat the cost but I said to her "lets go to the bank and just ask nicely if they'll refund us some or all of the overdraft fees" so we went there, spoke with the location manager and after looking at our good history with them, refunded us the majority of the fees and ended up costing us a total of $100 instead of $258.

Moral of the story:

You can't get what you don't ask for.

Speak up sometimes folks!

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you today by: Common Sense, give it a try sometime!

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
See you took the nice route and only saved $158

IF you had your wife storm into the bank in pajamas screaming at the top of her lungs while pointing a wooden mixing spoon at the tellers, you would have saved $258

:D

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
See you took the nice route and only saved $158

IF you had your wife storm into the bank in pajamas screaming at the top of her lungs while pointing a wooden mixing spoon at the tellers, you would have saved $258

:D

Hum...

I may have to give that method a try next time :p

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You should've asked for a steak and a BJ instead.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: leftyman
so which one of you messed up the checking account?

She meant to pay a number of expensive bills from our shared account we got when we got married but accidentally payed from her personal checking account from the same bank.

We've already taken the steps to faze out that account and use just the one so it's not an issue anymore, we had plenty of funds if it would have been taken from the correct account :p

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: lokiju
Originally posted by: leftyman
so which one of you messed up the checking account?

She meant to pay a number of expensive bills from our shared account we got when we got married but accidentally payed from her personal checking account from the same bank.

We've already taken the steps to faze out that account and use just the one so it's not an issue anymore, we had plenty of funds if it would have been taken from the correct account :p

I hope you admitted your error and apologized to your wife ;)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
That's not being a squeaky wheel.

The squeaky wheel is asking them to remove the charges completely. If they don't you talk to the bank manager and threaten to move all your assets to a competitor's bank unless they eat the insanely high overdraft fees. If they still don't remove the charges, you follow through on your threat and notify the bank manager's superiors all the way up the food chain.

Disclaimer: The longer your history with and the more money you have tied up in one bank, the more they're likely to cave.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Last time I have a lot of stupid fees, I went in and they were more than happy to remove htem.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I hear it more that, "The squeaky wheel gets replaced." ;)

depends on where you are i guess. the squeaky wheels got the grease and the kitchen sink at my last job