PSA: Windows 7 Critical Battery stuck at 98% resolved for APC branded UPS

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I was messing around with my power options last night and had forgotten my Critical Battery Level was stuck at 98%, which basically made my PC shutdown every time the power goes out almost instantaneously. Doing a Google search lead me to several other people posting on forums with the same problem.

My UPS model is a Back UPS XS 1000, and although this XS line wasn't listed on the software page, my model works fine with the PowerChute PE v3.0.0, which was just released on 10/18/2010. This might be old news for some, but for me it has allowed me to be able to properly configure my UPS once again. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Link to download - http://www.apc.com/tools/download/software_comp.cfm?sw_sku=SFPCPE30&id=129&swfam=129

Background forum post - http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/ab5df6cf-a1ba-4086-bcd5-e0be496c02cc

Also, none of the solutions I came across in the technet thread worked for me, but installing the PowerChute v3.0.0 software seems to replace the default Windows 7 HID UPS device driver with an APC HID Battery driver in the device manager. The software also allows for monitoring your wattage used and it logs adverse power events as well.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
Yeah I noticed I couldn't properly adjust the Power Options either (in Win7) until I installed the APC software. I'm using a much older one though, 2.1.1. Most of the power options disappeared from the Windows Power menu, which I assume means it's defaulting to the APC software (which is what I wanted). Anyway it was tested by the infamous MD power outage during the summer (timed perfectly with the Starcraft2 launch) - and it properly hibernated after 2mins of battery.

I've always used the APC software though, even on XP, so it was pretty seamless.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Yeah I noticed I couldn't properly adjust the Power Options either (in Win7) until I installed the APC software. I'm using a much older one though, 2.1.1. Most of the power options disappeared from the Windows Power menu, which I assume means it's defaulting to the APC software (which is what I wanted). Anyway it was tested by the infamous MD power outage during the summer (timed perfectly with the Starcraft2 launch) - and it properly hibernated after 2mins of battery.

I've always used the APC software though, even on XP, so it was pretty seamless.

Yeah, during the install it stops the built-in Windows power management service and the APC software takes over all the duties. I also like the APC software much better. It's really nice being able to monitor wattage used without a kill-a-watt meter plugged in.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Good find.

I've been using version 2.2 for the longest while now. I like how you can now see energy usage in the control panel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us