PSA: The Forbidden Kingdom is a Kids movie

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Saw it last night. Watched zero trailers, read no synopsis, went solely on the fact that it had Forbidden Kingdom in the title and had Jet Li and Jackie Chan in it. Squirmed through the entire thing.

Jet Li sounds wierd when he speaks english -_-

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I went to a screening of it last week and was also disappaointed. Besides the numerous fairy tale stories they combined to come up with the plot, it is a kids movie for ages 6 thru 12. Anybody else will be bored.

Barrak

Jan 8, 2001
It is another rendition of the Monkey King story. I was extremley disapointed because in all the previews I saw, they never even hinted at this. I was hoping for something original..

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
I started looking at this movie months ago, and the first trailer had the kid from Transformers in it. Then I noticed that all of the advertising material was seemingly void of his character, almost as if they didn't want you to remember that he was in it. The latter trailers focused specifically on Jackie Chan and Jet Li. That right there was a huge alarm bell for me, and although I have yet to see it I'm sure there's one or two things about it I'll like, but overall it'll be not worth the admission.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I actually liked it.:eek:

I never watched any of the earlier Monkey King movies and I thought this was an accessible (to Americans) introduction to elements from Chinese mythology.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Sphexi
I started looking at this movie months ago, and the first trailer had the kid from Transformers in it. Then I noticed that all of the advertising material was seemingly void of his character, almost as if they didn't want you to remember that he was in it. The latter trailers focused specifically on Jackie Chan and Jet Li. That right there was a huge alarm bell for me, and although I have yet to see it I'm sure there's one or two things about it I'll like, but overall it'll be not worth the admission.

He wasn't the kid from the Transformers movies but he did have a strong resemblance to him.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I liked it, Jackie Chan was fantastic, he keeps getting better and better at making american movies.

Jet Li somehow forgot how to speak english since his last american movie, he just sort of vomits engrish out in dry heaves. It was very hard to understand him. They should have really gave him a silent role.

The Jackie Chan vs. Jet Li fight scene was fan-fucking-tastic. I will rewatch this movie many many times just for that fight scene.

The white kid angle was totally unnecessary, only put in there to give the American audience something to relate to. If this was a chinese movie with a chinese kid in it instead of some white kid it would have made this movie an instant classic kung fu movie.

The romantic interest chick was great. Dont know who she is but good acting and good fighting, she might have a real future in movies as the "asian chick".

All in all Jackie Chan really shines in this one, and as a big fan of his its easy for me to like this movie because of that.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: randay
I liked it, Jackie Chan was fantastic, he keeps getting better and better at making american movies.

Jet Li somehow forgot how to speak english since his last american movie, he just sort of vomits engrish out in dry heaves. It was very hard to understand him. They should have really gave him a silent role.

The Jackie Chan vs. Jet Li fight scene was fan-fucking-tastic. I will rewatch this movie many many times just for that fight scene.

The white kid angle was totally unnecessary, only put in there to give the American audience something to relate to. If this was a chinese movie with a chinese kid in it instead of some white kid it would have made this movie an instant classic kung fu movie.

The romantic interest chick was great. Dont know who she is but good acting and good fighting, she might have a real future in movies as the "asian chick".

All in all Jackie Chan really shines in this one, and as a big fan of his its easy for me to like this movie because of that.

Chan was the only thing that kept the movie from tanking even further. The romance parts were soooooooo cheesy. And yes, Jet Li cannot speak english. I was glad they let him speak some chinese so he didn't sound like a complete asshole the whole time. His voice is so high in english.