PSA: Some companies are indeed out to steal your drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems odd to me a company would want to steal a failed drive. Even if they get it going, it's basically enough to get the data off it, I would not trust it in production.

Definitely always have a backup though. Especially important stuff I just manually back it up somewhere manually immediately.

Reactions: Captante

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Question:
What is the date the "criminal evidence" was saved to the drive?
What is the date your emotions caused you to throw a fit and headphones, resulting in the drive failure?

Reactions: deadlyapp

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Seems odd to me a company would want to steal a failed drive. Even if they get it going, it's basically enough to get the data off it, I would not trust it in production.

Definitely always have a backup though. Especially important stuff I just manually back it up somewhere manually immediately.
The OP accusing them of theft is absurd.

If it is the 'criminal evidence' they are after, recover it, make a copy, and charge out the wazoo for recovery
If it is the 'criminal evidence' they don't want recovered, then just say it can't be recovered, and charge out the wazoo for attempted recovery.
If they are desperate for a drive, don't steal a broken one, steal a working model, or simply go buy a new one, they're pretty cheap, like <$25/TB.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
My own competence does render me complacent, slothful, lazy. Just like I didn't bother with supplements during my wisdom teeth extraction recovery but when my sister had to deal with it, then I'm telling her to swallow vitamin C, Zinc, L-arginine, cod liver oil to speed up the healing(hopefully)

The bitches made themselves look professional. But the Indians and or Arabs on board are anything but that. https://diskdoctors.com/

You just had to talk about your teeth. Ban this kook.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The OP accusing them of theft is absurd.

If it is the 'criminal evidence' they are after, recover it, make a copy, and charge out the wazoo for recovery
If it is the 'criminal evidence' they don't want recovered, then just say it can't be recovered, and charge out the wazoo for attempted recovery.
If they are desperate for a drive, don't steal a broken one, steal a working model, or simply go buy a new one, they're pretty cheap, like <$25/TB.

It sounds more like the company is just incompetent. I've had that before where they just ghost you. Ordered stuff from a site once, it was medical stuff and was legit, but they just would not answer my emails, since a month+ and I never heard anything from the order. Going through Mastercard lit a fire under their ass though. Might be what OP needs to do.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It sounds more like the company is just incompetent. I've had that before where they just ghost you. Ordered stuff from a site once, it was medical stuff and was legit, but they just would not answer my emails, since a month+ and I never heard anything from the order. Going through Mastercard lit a fire under their ass though. Might be what OP needs to do.
It would be incompetence...if they didn't me tell they finished the work and said only a partial recovery could be done. They then told me they would be sending an email with the file list. Nothing arrived. No link to files that were recovered. This was on June 20, 2022.

I called and emailed on July 14, 2022, requesting the return of the drive but left the demand open-ended in the email. In the call, the blocked with the excuse "they were only taking calls today". Fucker, the guy obviously cooked it up in response to the email because I sent the email first. Today, i sent a request demanding response by the end of the week. They made a shipping label real quick. However, I'm still waiting for the package to enter USPS's system, as it is only at the "Created Label" stage.

Back in Feb and March, they were giving me the "we need more" because things are going slowly shitck. If this lame ass operation is running offices in 50 states....well they have to be able to sustain business...

I emailed on March 3, 2022, simply stating "what is the status of my drive". I received crickets.

I suspect they, bare minimum, swapped all the "elite" parts in my Gold drive to repair more "valuable" client drives and might have cannibalized some crappy ass Blue heads or whatever if I get a drive back(just because a label is made DOES NOT MEAN the drive is coming). I wasn't a total fool. I did write my last name in Sharpie on the exterior side of the drive with the label, but not on the label.

And dodging my state's taxes isn't incompetence either. I reported that to the Comptroller because the Comptroller's field enforcement division is supposed to enforce the business license laws. The Comptroller isn't going to help me but maybe lost money to the state might interest them. I do not expect much more than a slap on the wrist.

Oh, and yeah, the contract has an arbitration clause. This means either they've been following the Supreme Court or they did hire a competent attorney to draft that. The quote expires in 72 hours(I sent it on the fourth day). A clause that "more time is needed in some cases". But there is also an "if the media is unclaimed in 30 days, we can dispose it any way we wish". When it comes to the contract, not incompetent at all.

I must emphasize that arbitration clause. Due to our illustrious lawyer's orgy called the Supreme Court, it is interpreted as the law of the land and whatever intuitions of judicial fairness you think you have DOES NOT APPLY to arbitration clauses. And this expansion is not necessarily correlated with justices being on a political side.
You being a Canadian might not be aware of that.
My drive is too small for them to want arbitration, so I escaped it.

In business, politics, and law, Hanlon's razor does not apply. It's always, "we're trying to take your shit or violate your rights, and if you don't enforce the rules yourself, we're getting it".

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I suspect they, bare minimum, swapped all the "elite" parts in my Gold drive to repair more "valuable" client drives and might have cannibalized some crappy ass Blue heads or whatever if I get a drive back(just because a label is made DOES NOT MEAN the drive is coming). I wasn't a total fool. I did write my last name in Sharpie on the exterior side of the drive with the label, but not on the label.
GET MENTAL HELP. ASAP. You're straight-up having delusions.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
GET MENTAL HELP. ASAP.
This company held on to my drive for 7 months and even stated they were able to do a partial recovery. But then they never gave me the list of files they said they would over email or access to download and inspect the supposed recovered files. But they also didn't charge my credit card. If they couldn't do the shit, then just freaking tell me and I'll gladly pay the return shipping and I can dump the drive to Micro Center. Drived arrived in their Georgia office on Dec 21, 2021. I emailed a signed contract on Dec 28, 2022, but the bitch gave me silence. So then I faxed it via Faxzero on the 29th and then they acknowledged it.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They could have found the criminal activity on the drive and contacted the authorities. Right now the feds are carefully going through the data and making sure to have enough evidence for charges to stick. They are asking the data recovery company to stall until the charges are made.

Quick, find a racist friendly country without an extradition treaty and move there!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
If you think everyone else is a racist asshole out to get you... then maybe it's YOU!
Reading comprehension fail. What is normal in this country, is the license for businesspeople and government to exploit laypeople. That arbitration clause is not insignificant; it's everywhere because it can be, even your appliances or furniture. Class-actions can be stopped by that clause, and then issues can only be resolved individually.

I take it you don't have Medicare Advantage plans by United Healthcare. Legalese through the moon. Denials that need to be appeal. Heck, even when it was my Medicaid MCO, they denied the first claim by the doc but my doc appealed and got it. I didn't have to worry but my doc had to file paperwork.
There is a grievance and appeal system. But when someone's out with chemo drugs...chances of not submitting necessary paperwork is basically 99% if the chemo patient does not have a competent person with time to battle for them. I was that competent person, and I can say a few days of my life are gone thanks to the bullshit.

There's also car accidents. Every one tries to weasel out of payment, including the companies themselves.

There's also various forms of "trustee abuse" or analogous situations where one entity or person is supposed to "care" for another but in actuality the "caretaker" is making bank with no regard to whom or what they are taking care of. Government loves its conservatorships and guardianships. Someone can even test poorly for CEA but then they can flip the script and get the police to block even blood relatives from seeking further medical care without the state's permission.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
See, this is why I keep my most important shit in the cloud. IDGAF if they want to scan it to give me more personal ads.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
They could have found the criminal activity on the drive and contacted the authorities. Right now the feds are carefully going through the data and making sure to have enough evidence to place charges on you that will stick. They are asking the data recovery company stall until the charges are made.

Quick, find a racist friendly country without an extradition treaty and move there!
The criminal activity is my house being burglarized. The other, which helped precipitated me tossing my headphones because I spent an entire afternoon reviewing the footage, was related to my mom being assaulted and tossed to the ground, but the state's attorney dropped the charges.

The state has charged two people related to the burglary, but I had video to show there was a third involved. The charges are not accurate and the police just took the easy targets to charge. The sergeant also did his best to appear uninterested and standoffish when we to the station. He only took a look to avoid internal affairs reprimanding his conduct. He even tried to misspell the email address.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
They could have found the criminal activity on the drive and contacted the authorities. Right now the feds are carefully going through the data and making sure to have enough evidence for charges to stick. They are asking the data recovery company to stall until the charges are made.

1657937590297.png

Didn't I say if someone ticked me off, I'd even doxx myself. Yeah, that would you Adam. Go fuck yourself.

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
See, this is why I keep my most important shit in the cloud. IDGAF if they want to scan it to give me more personal ads.

that's what i thought about everything i stored on bbzzdd

figured it would be there forever
321gk9f.png

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It would be incompetence...if they didn't me tell they finished the work and said only a partial recovery could be done. They then told me they would be sending an email with the file list. Nothing arrived. No link to files that were recovered. This was on June 20, 2022.

I called and emailed on July 14, 2022, requesting the return of the drive but left the demand open-ended in the email. In the call, the blocked with the excuse "they were only taking calls today". Fucker, the guy obviously cooked it up in response to the email because I sent the email first. Today, i sent a request demanding response by the end of the week. They made a shipping label real quick. However, I'm still waiting for the package to enter USPS's system, as it is only at the "Created Label" stage.

Back in Feb and March, they were giving me the "we need more" because things are going slowly shitck. If this lame ass operation is running offices in 50 states....well they have to be able to sustain business...

I emailed on March 3, 2022, simply stating "what is the status of my drive". I received crickets.

And dodging my state's taxes isn't incompetence either. I reported that to the Comptroller because the Comptroller's field enforcement division is supposed to enforce the business license laws. The Comptroller isn't going to help me but maybe lost money to the state might interest them. I do not expect much more than a slap on the wrist.

Oh, and yeah, the contract has an arbitration clause. This means either they've been following the Supreme Court or they did hire a competent attorney to draft that. The quote expires in 72 hours(I sent it on the fourth day). A clause that "more time is needed in some cases". But there is also an "if the media is unclaimed in 30 days, we can dispose it any way we wish". When it comes to the contract, not incompetent at all.

I must emphasize that arbitration clause. Due to our illustrious lawyer's orgy called the Supreme Court, it is interpreted as the law of the land and whatever intuitions of judicial fairness you think you have DOES NOT APPLY to arbitration clauses. And this expansion is not necessarily correlated with justices being on a political side.
You being a Canadian might not be aware of that.
My drive is too small for them to want arbitration, so I escaped it.

In business, politics, and law, Hanlon's razor does not apply. It's always, "we're trying to take your shit or violate your rights, and if you don't enforce the rules yourself, we're getting it".
The criminal activity is my house being burglarized. The other, which helped precipitated me tossing my headphones because I spent an entire afternoon reviewing the footage, was related to my mom being assaulted and tossed to the ground, but the state's attorney dropped the charges.

The state has charged two people related to the burglary, but I had video to show there was a third involved. The charges are not accurate and the police just took the easy targets to charge. The sergeant also did his best to appear uninterested and standoffish when we to the station. He only took a look to avoid internal affairs reprimanding his conduct. He even tried to misspell the email address.

pile.gif

OP: You seem to have a lot of issues with lots of people. You also throw some wild claims about people as well that could very well be used as liable at some point.

Maybe if you tried to be a little calmer when dealing with people, you might get better results.

In the end, if you didn't throw headphones at the only hard drive you had this video evidence on, you likely wouldn't be neck deep in this shit show of a thread.