PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Discover is offering 5% cash back for all amazon.com, walmart.com, and target.com purchases in October, November, and December. That's actually going to come in handy for Christmas shopping!

Nov 8, 2012
Discover is offering 5% cash back for all amazon.com, walmart.com, and target.com purchases in October, November, and December. That's actually going to come in handy for Christmas shopping!

Thats pretty typical. In the last 3 months usually 2 out of the 3 5% category cards do this (Chase Freedom, Discover, and Citi Dividend)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm going to keep my CSR card in hopes I can start traveling again next year. It's still the best luxury travel card IMO when used combined with other Chase cards like Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.

CSR combined with Charles Schwab checking debit card with no fee ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world make the best travel card combo.

I would like to add another no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee card to my travel collection. PayPal Cashback Mastercard with 2% CB looks tempting with no foreign transaction fee but customer service is said to be really lacking with that card. So I'm going to pass on that card for now.

I'm thinking about opening Apple Card since that has no foreign transaction fee and 2% CB when used with Apple Pay. And I like that Apple Card is issued by Goldman Sachs. I trying to get credit card issued by different bank than Chase and Citi for diversification. It's not so good to rely on one major bank for credit cards. If something happens with your relationship with that bank, then all your credit cards can be closed. It's also the reason why I don't keep checking account or money with any bank I have credit card with. If something happens and you can't pay your credit card, the bank can withdraw money from your checking/savings account to pay your credit card debt if it's with the same bank you bank with. So my rule is never have any credit card and check/savings with the same bank.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm going to keep my CSR card in hopes I can start traveling again next year. It's still the best luxury travel card IMO when used combined with other Chase cards like Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.

CSR combined with Charles Schwab checking debit card with no fee ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world make the best travel card combo.

I would like to add another no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee card to my travel collection. PayPal Cashback Mastercard with 2% CB looks tempting with no foreign transaction fee but customer service is said to be really lacking with that card. So I'm going to pass on that card for now.

I'm thinking about opening Apple Card since that has no foreign transaction fee and 2% CB when used with Apple Pay. And I like that Apple Card is issued by Goldman Sachs. I trying to get credit card issued by different bank than Chase and Citi for diversification. It's not so good to rely on one major bank for credit cards. If something happens with your relationship with that bank, then all your credit cards can be closed. It's also the reason why I don't keep checking account or money with any bank I have credit card with. If something happens and you can't pay your credit card, the bank can withdraw money from your checking/savings account to pay your credit card debt if it's with the same bank you bank with. So my rule is never have any credit card and check/savings with the same bank.

No foreign transaction fees is really a dime a dozen now.

My Citi Costco card gives me that with no annual fee, 4% on Gas, 3% Restaurants + Travel, 2% on Costco, 1% all else.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
No foreign transaction fees is really a dime a dozen now.

My Citi Costco card gives me that with no annual fee, 4% on Gas, 3% Restaurants + Travel, 2% on Costco, 1% all else.
I have Citi Costco. But it's 1% all else. I'm looking for 2% for all else with no foreign transaction fee. I have CSR for 3% restaurants and travel with no foreign transaction fee I will use over Citi Costco since I value Chase points over cash. I'm looking for 2% card with no foreign transaction fee for everything else to complement CSR. So far, the only card I've found is the Paypal Cashback card with 2% everything but like I said, customer service is supposed to be lacking with that card. Which is why I'm thinking Apple Card since Apple Pay is starting to pick up acceptance worldwide.

Nov 8, 2012
I have Citi Costco. But it's 1% all else. I'm looking for 2% for all else with no foreign transaction fee. I have CSR for 3% restaurants and travel with no foreign transaction fee I will use over Citi Costco since I value Chase points over cash. I'm looking for 2% card with no foreign transaction fee for everything else to complement CSR. So far, the only card I've found is the Paypal Cashback card with 2% everything but like I said, customer service is supposed to be lacking with that card. Which is why I'm thinking Apple Card since Apple Pay is starting to pick up acceptance worldwide.

How often are you out of the country to find both 2% AND no foreign transaction fees to be of help? My main fault is the 2% cards... are 2%... but I would rather have higher amounts on items that I KNOW I'm going to use a lot such as restaurants and gasoline.

I entirely understand if your case is different though.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
How often are you out of the country to find both 2% AND no foreign transaction fees to be of help? My main fault is the 2% cards... are 2%... but I would rather have higher amounts on items that I KNOW I'm going to use a lot such as restaurants and gasoline.

I entirely understand if your case is different though.
Since I'm retired and have all the free time in the world now, I plan to travel and live outside the US often once coronavirus is under control. So no foreign transaction fee is very important to me. I have CSR which will cover travel and restaurant at 3%. I have Citi Costco which will cover gas at 4%. I need 2% card or something close for everything else. Everything else is big category. I can't use cards like Citi Doublecash 2% or Chase Freedom Unlimited 1.5% outside the US because both cards have 3% foreign transaction fees.

If I take my wife to Paris flagship Hermes store and buy Birkin or Kelly bag, that can be $15k single purchase. Buy couple bags and it can easily be $30k. 2% card would be nice to use over 1% in cases like this.

Nov 8, 2012
Since I'm retired and have all the free time in the world now, I plan to travel and live outside the US often once coronavirus is under control. So no foreign transaction fee is very important to me. I have CSR which will cover travel and restaurant at 3%. I have Citi Costco which will cover gas at 4%. I need 2% card or something close for everything else. Everything else is big category. I can't use cards like Citi Doublecash 2% or Chase Freedom Unlimited 1.5% outside the US because both cards have 3% foreign transaction fees.

If I take my wife to Paris flagship Hermes store and buy Birkin or Kelly bag, that can be $15k single purchase. Buy couple bags and it can easily be $30k. 2% card would be nice to use over 1% in cases like this.

Understandable.

Sometimes I forget what a baller you are. Thank you for your service /salute.

... Also, fuck Hermes, but yourself a nice Zegna suit and some baller Allen Edmonds shoes.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Capital One Quicksilver 1.5% cash back does not have foreign transaction and it does work outside the US. I did try it in Asia and it worked fine.

Not sure any 2% cash back card would not have foreign transaction surcharge..

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
TBH I'm a bit surprised at the switch for luxury cards between Chase and Amex. Chase had been the clear front runner for a while now IMO with a lot of benefits being added to their Sapphire line of cards. That all seemed to change in march with Amex adding a bunch of enhancements to the Platinum card like $320 in cell\streaming credits, $100 dell credit etc in addition to their airline credit while Chase's response has been somewhat anemic in comparison.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Also just for $500+ for free I signed up for the Bank of America Premium Rewards. It also gives me Global Entry credit. Not a half bad card, the annual fee is ~$100 - but also gives a $100 "incidental" or airline credit per year.

I believe there is a $50 grocery\restaurant credit with that card too right now

Nov 8, 2012
TBH I'm a bit surprised at the switch for luxury cards between Chase and Amex. Chase had been the clear front runner for a while now IMO with a lot of benefits being added to their Sapphire line of cards. That all seemed to change in march with Amex adding a bunch of enhancements to the Platinum card like $320 in cell\streaming credits, $100 dell credit etc in addition to their airline credit while Chase's response has been somewhat anemic in comparison.
It's all covid-related though.

I guess AMEX figures a large chunk of their card-holders won't use the $200 airline credit, so they are trying to make up for it.

Their $200 incidental airline credit is also starting to become a pain in the ass to use. Can't get gift cards anywhere anymore. Even booking flights themselves - for a Southwest it has to be a flight/charge that is < $100.

So this year I had to find, book, and cancel 2 flights for southwest that came out to ~$98 after taxes/fees.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It's all covid-related though.

I guess AMEX figures a large chunk of their card-holders won't use the $200 airline credit, so they are trying to make up for it.

Their $200 incidental airline credit is also starting to become a pain in the ass to use. Can't get gift cards anywhere anymore. Even booking flights themselves - for a Southwest it has to be a flight/charge that is < $100.

So this year I had to find, book, and cancel 2 flights for southwest that came out to ~$98 after taxes/fees.

Sure it's all COVID related but Amex offered up an easy $470 in extra credits beyond their other benefits like the traditional Amex offers, airline credit etc. And the airline credits have always been a bit of a hassle with various things working and then not working before working again. I can't speak for all the options but Travel bank funds from United are working atm though which is pretty easy if you have United set up as your airline. So yes the Reserve's $300 credit is easier to use especially right now but Amex offered the $470 on top of their travel credit. The Reserve gave what - $60 in DoorDash credits?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
This is a downgrade from prior years which included target b&m. Second sunday in December target 10% off gift cards using discover 5% cb won't be as sweet.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
with the unlimited card getting so many more points now is anyone else thinking of dropping down to preferred?

I still have my original Freedom card, but definitely thinking of switching to Unlimited--the quarterly stuff with OG Freedom hasn't really been useful for me in more than two years now, and then downgrading to Preferred with the Sapphire.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I keep hoping and dreaming that the 100k CSR will come-back for me to sign-up... Hopefully one day....

Anyhow, here are my latest cards:
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant - Large annual fee ($450 I think?) card. Gives 1 free marriott night per year. Also gives $300 in Marriott expenses per year. Also gives Global Entry.... other benefits as well including 15 Nights given per year to my account
AMEX Business Bonvoy - Smaller annual fee ($95 I think?) card. Gives 1 free Marriott night per year. Also gives me 15 Nights stayed, so helps with Marriott status.

Main reason I got these 2 are partly for the 15 Nights per card. That's a total of 30 nights given to my account per year. I'm working on getting lifetime Platinum status and need something like 600 nights. Currently I have lifetime Silver and am working on Lifetime Gold.

Also just for $500+ for free I signed up for the Bank of America Premium Rewards. It also gives me Global Entry credit. Not a half bad card, the annual fee is ~$100 - but also gives a $100 "incidental" or airline credit per year.

I think that's about all I've done recently. Right now Chase sucks. Citi sucks. Discover sucks, etc.. etc... Waiting on better offers all around.

this reminds me, I really really really need to finish the Global Entry thing before I get around to downgrading the CSR. I just know I'm going to forget...

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
He "hired" me as his PR agent for the week. It's about time, too... he really is one of the unappreciated geniuses of this forum.

gdeANmm.gif

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He "hired" me as his PR agent for the week. It's about time, too... he really is one of the unappreciated geniuses of this forum.

I don't unappreciate him--he even wrote me a custom pome many years ago! It was in my sig for many years, but has been archived in my profile for now.

Reactions: brianmanahan

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I still have my original Freedom card, but definitely thinking of switching to Unlimited--the quarterly stuff with OG Freedom hasn't really been useful for me in more than two years now, and then downgrading to Preferred with the Sapphire.
groceries aren't useful to you?

i figure keep both regular and unlimited freedom cards (there's a 3rd one now that's kind of a cross between them as well). i carry the unlimited card for most purchases out and about and the CSR for dining. between regular freedom and discover i may carry one or the other depending on what's on bonus.

if i knew i was going to travel next year i think the CSR would still be worthwhile, not just for the redemption rates but because my usual airport has a lot of priority pass options. two restaurants and two lounges, all pretty easy to get to and from airside.

Nov 8, 2012
groceries aren't useful to you?

i figure keep both regular and unlimited freedom cards (there's a 3rd one now that's kind of a cross between them as well). i carry the unlimited card for most purchases out and about and the CSR for dining. between regular freedom and discover i may carry one or the other depending on what's on bonus.

if i knew i was going to travel next year i think the CSR would still be worthwhile, not just for the redemption rates but because my usual airport has a lot of priority pass options. two restaurants and two lounges, all pretty easy to get to and from airside.

Yar.

On a 3-month basis I have an automated task in my tasklog to make + tape on labels to my Chase Freedom / Discover / Citi Dividend to put the 5% categories on them. I carry them with me all the time. I use all 3 off and on and DEFINITELY use them for the Amazon (Chase currently), Groceries, Restaurants, Gas stations, Pharmacy etc....

I would definitely keep both. There isn't any benefit to you to switching products. You don't get a sign-on bonus. Why not just open a new one with the sign-on bonus, and you have the other card for categories in the future?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Wow, big update.

More ways to earn your Annual $300 Travel Credit
There are more ways to earn your annual $300 Travel Credit. Through June 30, 2021, gas station and grocery store purchases will count toward earning your Travel Credit. You’ll also earn points on these purchases. And, as always, after your first $300 in travel purchases, you’ll immediately start earning 3x points on travel. All with your Sapphire Reserve card.

Earn 3x points on grocery store purchases
You can now earn 3x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1–April 30, 2021, including pickup and eligible grocery store delivery services. It's automatic—no activation required.

The grocery earn is nice, especially combined with Pay Yourself Back, but low limit for a 7-month period. Is it still a "travel" card :D? Glad to see this though, as I've been pondering what to do with my CSR.