PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
havent followed this thread in a while. How are you guys getting companion passes? And purbeast, why did you open up the chase ink card on top of the Sapphire reserve?

Meeting two Southwest credit card spending promos when the are 50k+ (and maybe needing some additional spending depending on the promo), Getting a ton of Marriott points and transferring over as part of their 7 day vacation packages, or getting a targeted offer for it in CA

Reactions: Aharami

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Links To Chase’s Guide To Benefits For Each Credit Card
Chase makes their ‘guide to benefits’ available online for each of their credit cards at https://www.chasebenefits.com. The annoying thing is that Chase asks you to refer to the insert, letter or e-mail for details regarding your specific card. If you’re anything like me, you usually lose/throw this out almost immediately. I’m also trying to review all of the Chase cards at the moment and read these guide to benefits is extremely helpful for those reviews so I thought I’d put together a list of links for each Chase card. This list is based off Rapid Travel Chai’s list from 2014 with my own additions, please list any links we’re missing in the comments below.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/links-chases-guide-benefits-credit-card/

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
FYI, you can get 10,000 for each friend you send to Chase and he/she gets a new CSR card. The maximum is 5 friends or 50,000 points each year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yo if anyone gives a crap, the Southwest 50k deals are back. Just got my wife the Plus card and will apply for the Premiere one in like a week or so because I'm concerned if I do it immediately it will be denied. Although, she hasn't opened a credit card in years and the only credit she has built is with our mortgage and her car that is now paid off. Her credit score is 771 I just checked. Anyone think it's worth trying to apply right now or is waiting a week good, or should I wait more?

Here's links to the offers for those interested:

Plus ($69 annual fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/50kinflightplus?CELL=667K
Premiere ($99 annual fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/50kPremierNonAEP?CELL=6RHZ

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Yo if anyone gives a crap, the Southwest 50k deals are back. Just got my wife the Plus card and will apply for the Premiere one in like a week or so because I'm concerned if I do it immediately it will be denied. Although, she hasn't opened a credit card in years and the only credit she has built is with our mortgage and her car that is now paid off. Her credit score is 771 I just checked. Anyone think it's worth trying to apply right now or is waiting a week good, or should I wait more?

Plus ($69 annual fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/50kinflightplus?CELL=667K
Premiere ($99 annual fee) - https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/50kPremierNonAEP?CELL=6RHZ
Do either of those give priority boarding?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Just got my wife the Plus card and will apply for the Premiere one in like a week or so because I'm concerned if I do it immediately it will be denied.

The rule used to be only two chase credit card applications in a 30 day window per person and I don't think that has changed. (You could sometimes get around that with 2 personal and 1 business)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The rule used to be only two chase credit card applications in a 30 day window per person and I don't think that has changed. (You could sometimes get around that with 2 personal and 1 business)
Do you think there is any benefit to waiting a week or so versus just applying for it now? I did some googling the other day and it seemed that basically it depends on how good/bad your credit is as to whether you will be approved or not. The only reason I would want to do it sooner than later is so that the 50k offer doesn't go away before I get the 2nd card.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Do you think there is any benefit to waiting a week or so versus just applying for it now? I did some googling the other day and it seemed that basically it depends on how good/bad your credit is as to whether you will be approved or not. The only reason I would want to do it sooner than later is so that the 50k offer doesn't go away before I get the 2nd card.

It hasn't typically mattered in the past for Chase as long as you're under the 5/24 rule and 30 day rule. I also did some quick googling and don't see anything that would make me think differently. If it were me I would go ahead and do the second card. Depending on her first credit limit you may get a pending or denied message meaning she'll need to call in and ask to lower that credit line on the first card so they will approve on the second card (or give you a reasonable limit on the second)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It hasn't typically mattered in the past for Chase as long as you're under the 5/24 rule and 30 day rule. I also did some quick googling and don't see anything that would make me think differently. If it were me I would go ahead and do the second card. Depending on her first credit limit you may get a pending or denied message meaning she'll need to call in and ask to lower that credit line on the first card so they will approve on the second card (or give you a reasonable limit on the second)
The first credit card was approved at $24k. She literally has no other credit cards either. I've made sure to handle her finances because she had issues years ago with running up a CC. This card too is going to be the one that I'm using and will just put all of our monthly spending on it for everything other than mortgage so we'll rack up the spending limit to get the bonus pretty easily.

If I tried and she did get denied, would that mean I have to wait like 30 days to try again and apply? If so, then I guess it doesn't matter if I do it now or in a month. As mentioned her credit score is pretty good at 771 too and our household income is high enough I'd think she should get approved for another CC.

I may just give it a try tonight when I get home. I don't know her SSN off the top of my head so I can't do it now.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The first credit card was approved at $24k. She literally has no other credit cards either. I've made sure to handle her finances because she had issues years ago with running up a CC. This card too is going to be the one that I'm using and will just put all of our monthly spending on it for everything other than mortgage so we'll rack up the spending limit to get the bonus pretty easily.

If I tried and she did get denied, would that mean I have to wait like 30 days to try again and apply? If so, then I guess it doesn't matter if I do it now or in a month. As mentioned her credit score is pretty good at 771 too and our household income is high enough I'd think she should get approved for another CC.

I may just give it a try tonight when I get home. I don't know her SSN off the top of my head so I can't do it now.

If she gets denied she can call the reconsideration line and talk to them about why. If its credit limit they should be able to move some around to approve the card. Historically I've called in as soon as I get the 'application pending' to deal with that (since I was at 'Bank Limits' for a couple banks) but it seems that recommendation has changed a bit. Now it seems more along the lines of 'wait 5-7 business days and then call'. For my wife's recent Ink application we waited 4 business days and then it was approved automatically

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

If only Southwest flew out of the airport closest to our house :(

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If only Southwest flew out of the airport closest to our house :(
Luckily for me, SW flies out of all 3 major airports that are within 40 minutes of me, 1 of them being a hub. And they fly to a lot of the Caribbean destinations I like to go to, as well as Vegas and San Diego, and soon to be Hawaii.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just applied for the SW Premiere card for my wife and got instantly approved for the same $24k amount, so we'll have a companion pass again!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have a question for some of you CC gurus.

My wife was approved for the SW cards and we received the Plus in the mail. I added myself as an additional person who can use the account so they sent us 2 cards, one with my name, one with hers.

Her card has her RR number on it, while mine says "RR" on it but has no number next to it.

This may be a dumb question, but I just wanted to be sure - all purchases, regardless of which card is used to purchase stuff, will all have the points and purchases go towards her account and her RR account correct? Or do I have to use her physical card in order for it to work? The CC number on both cards is (obviously) the same though.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
This may be a dumb question, but I just wanted to be sure - all purchases, regardless of which card is used to purchase stuff, will all have the points and purchases go towards her account and her RR account correct?

Correct. If you are an AU of her CC Chase sometimes will count that against your 5/24 though. There are two ways you can deal with that:
1) Remove yourself from the CC account, log into Credit Karma and, for that card, select the 'I am no longer liable for this account' and wait till the auto dispute processes for the two credit companies Credit Karma works with
2) Call in and dispute the denial due to 5/24 when Chase denies you for you next card

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Correct. If you are an AU of her CC Chase sometimes will count that against your 5/24 though. There are two ways you can deal with that:
1) Remove yourself from the CC account, log into Credit Karma and, for that card, select the 'I am no longer liable for this account' and wait till the auto dispute processes for the two credit companies Credit Karma works with
2) Call in and dispute the denial due to 5/24 when Chase denies you for you next card
I'm already at the 5/24 right now really, so would that basically put me at the 7/24 lol? I'm not really concerned about that though. I don't think I'll be opening a card in the near future anyways.

I was just more concerned about using that card to make purchases and it not counting towards the bonus points on her account and that it would hinder us getting the companion pass. I just wanted to be able to use the card and not have any issues which is why I got one in my name. She's not even going to be using the card at all I'm just going to be using it for every day purchases and bills other than mortgage.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
For those of you with the Chase credit card duo remember to activate your Chase Freedom first quarter 5%
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/03/14/best-credit-card-pairs/

Using Android Pay I've been able to earn 5x points at a spa, restaurants, coffee shops, mass transit (bus/train), Trader Joe's, Walgreens, etc. Here's an example after purchasing a mass transit bus ticket from an automated kiosk, normally I would use CSR.
https://imgur.com/Hyh18xH

I haven't found that many places to use Apple/Android/Chase Pay.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
kroger takes it but their readers don't always work. HEB doesn't, walmart doesn't. whataburger does.

samsung pay is obviously the most widely available but holy crap is it insecure (and not part of the offer).

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I've been using Apple Pay but it's about 50/50 if places will take use/take it. It works at TJ's and Aldi but doesn't work at Home Depot, Walmart, or Publix.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
kroger takes it but their readers don't always work. HEB doesn't, walmart doesn't. whataburger does.

samsung pay is obviously the most widely available but holy crap is it insecure (and not part of the offer).

Yeah the place I go to the most would be Target and they don't take it. Most non large food chains don't take it. I used it to fill up my Starbucks app a few times but other than that I haven't been able to take advantage of it.