PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
Agreed. Domestic sucks, international is definitely better.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/10-best-international-priority-pass-lounges/

I don't have a Citi Prestige but love my Chase Sapphire Reserve and think it's the better of the two cards.

Do you also have a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? If you don't, why not? No annual fee and thanks to 5% rotating categories you can easily rack up the UR points:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/03/14/best-credit-card-pairs/

As you pointed out CSR has primary rental car insurance and the $300 annual travel credit is incredibly easy to earn, simple local mass transit bus/train tickets works for my wife and I. This makes our net annual fee only $150 which is a bargain for the benefits, UR earning potential, UR transfer partners, etc.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-reserve-vs-citi-prestige-card/
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017...-citi-prestige-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve.html
https://www.valuepenguin.com/chase-sapphire-reserve-vs-amex-platinum-vs-citi-prestige
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/battle-of-the-premium-travel-rewards-cards/
http://www.johnnyjet.com/comparing-citi-prestige-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve-vs-amex-platinum/

Finally if you're switching from hotels (Citi) to AirBNB (Chase) it codes as travel so you're earning 3x and saving $$$.

Thanks Rossman. Going to turn the prestige card into a basic card no AF card.

We should start a personal finance blog together or something. You are on top of your stuff lol.

Nov 20, 2009

We should start a personal finance blog together or something. You are on top of your stuff lol.
Why not start a Bro[mance] Card and have all the bro's using it for bro points?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

I'm keeping my Prestige. They charge me $350 annual fee - $250 flight credit and with the 4th hotel night free, that saves me so much money.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Interesting. I had been pondering how to best destroy my old card (since Gamestop so lovely leaked my number). When I got the replacement, it came with a postage paid, card stock weight envelope to return the old one for disposal with. I always burned my old plastic cards, but I guess this works.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Interesting. I had been pondering how to best destroy my old card (since Gamestop so lovely leaked my number). When I got the replacement, it came with a postage paid, card stock weight envelope to return the old one for disposal with. I always burned my old plastic cards, but I guess this works.

Hmmn I never considered how I'd destroy our metal Chase cards.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Well, I only wondered about it since I had a dead one due to yet another security breach. Instead of waiting for the inevitable, I preemptively canceled it. I know chase is good with fraud detection, but I am bad with keeping up with it myself and something could slip by.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Debating whether I should just cancel this card now. Was traveling a shit ton for work, but now not at all, at least till the end of the year as I'm in a full time field position. Also got a company CC, so can't even put my expenses on the card anymore for reimbursement. Doubtful I'll recoup the $450 fee. (Already got the $300 travel credit this year)

So only benefit now seems the 1.5x point value through UR. But if I transfer to travel partners, should be the same or better value. Actually shit, will have to transfer them before closing the card as the Freedom card doesn't have that ability. May just store my UR on the Freedom, then cancel and sign up when I'm eligible for the bonus again next year.

Just signed up for my 2nd go round of the Southwest credit cards as well. 60K SW points on both the Plus and Premier.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004

Why do you destroy your old cards?

Just curious, since I still have a small stack of my old ones that either expired or were compromised. Even with the compromised ones, I figure they don't work any more, so I never felt the need to destroy them.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Why do you destroy your old cards?

Just curious, since I still have a small stack of my old ones that either expired or were compromised. Even with the compromised ones, I figure they don't work any more, so I never felt the need to destroy them.

For the expired cards in particular, you generally just get a new expiration date. Not even the CCV changes. Sure, you could keep them securely in your home, but storing every single expired card that I have in perpetuity is not really a thing I am keen on.

For the compromised ones, they won't work anymore, and the number is completely dead. It's more habit than anything else. I can't think of a scenario where that card would be useful, but it doesn't hurt anything to destroy those too.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyone know the best way to find out if you have opened 5 cards in the past 24 months or not?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Anyone know the best way to find out if you have opened 5 cards in the past 24 months or not?

One thing to keep in mind is that business cards will not show up on your personal credit score but Chase can see in their system if you have gotten any Chase business cards and will use those towards the 5/24 rule. Their system also has trouble distinguishing between Authorized User and Account holder so if you were added as an AU to a card in the past 24 months and that puts you over their limit you'll need to call the reconsideration line and point that out to them.

If you don't know off hand then you need to look at a credit report. CreditKarma is probably the easiest and fastest.

Viper GTS

I learned its worth a look anyway. My wife should have been under 5/24 but got declined for that rule anyway. Pulling up her report I found out her Barclays card didn't show up as opened until 4 months after she started using it. As another run Late Reporting story I got a car loan and wanted to see how much it affected my score. My heart about stopped when I saw a 45 point drop. Digging into it a bit more my new mortgage hadn't reported until 6 months after origination and just happened to post the day after I got my car loan. For some strange reason scores don't seem to like it when it looks like you're going on a spending spree. After two months everything was back to normal but I was not amused by the 6 month delay.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

I have a CreditKarna.com and an Experian.com paid account. I think I'm at 4/24 or 5/24 still going to try and get 1/2 or 3 Chase cards (applying same day using browser trick).

i can't decide between the Chase Ink Cash (5x UR for cell phone, cable/satellite will also pay for other family members and they'll reimburse me) or Southwest cards Plus and Premier. With the Chase Ink Cash I can probably charge $300 per month x 12 months x 5 with CSR = 18,000 UR per year enough for a few interstate Southwest flights.

I'd love to have all 3 but there's no way they'd approve me and meeting the minimum spend would be challenging.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm looking at getting the Chase Ink Business card because it has like 80k reward points. I am almost up with my wife's companion pass on SW (it ends end of 2017) then I plan on getting the 2 SW cards in her name to start using Jan 1st next year and then I'll become her companion. The companion pass the past 2 years has saved us probably over $3k and I'm using it again in November to go somewhere in the Caribbean, probably Aruba since I love that place and the other places I wanted to are messed up by Irma.

Is there a trick to getting business cards without actually owning a business? Or is it just not possible?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Is there a trick to getting business cards without actually owning a business? Or is it just not possible?

Apparently if you apply as a sole proprietor, use your SSN instead of EIN and you sell stuff on ebay or do computer consulting that's sufficient.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/01/31/chase-ink-business-preferred-approval-tips/

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/01/20/how-to-get-approved-for-the-chase-ink-60k-offer/

https://www.mybanktracker.com/credit-cards/faq/can-anyone-get-business-credit-card-168521

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay cool thanks. I just signed up for Credit Karma and I have 4 open in the last 5 years. I had a 5th open in August of 2015 but that gives me a month of leeway. Going to try the Chase Ink Business Preferred and see what happens. I make apps for iOS and Android and have them on the app store, so maybe I can put "indie mobile app developer" as the business.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I have a CreditKarna.com and an Experian.com paid account. I think I'm at 4/24 or 5/24 still going to try and get 1/2 or 3 Chase cards (applying same day using browser trick).

i can't decide between the Chase Ink Cash (5x UR for cell phone, cable/satellite will also pay for other family members and they'll reimburse me) or Southwest cards Plus and Premier. With the Chase Ink Cash I can probably charge $300 per month x 12 months x 5 with CSR = 18,000 UR per year enough for a few interstate Southwest flights.

I think the Plus and Premier are still doing 60k points after $2k spend each which means its a simple way to get a Companion Pass on Southwest. Its a bit of a risk that the offer would be pulled but if you wait till mid-October to apply and don't hit the spending threshold on either card till January then you have the CP for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018. Two years of BOGO airline tickets is pretty great esp since you'll have a ton of points to use too. The Ink 80k offer has been around for a while so I'd go for the Southwest cards first.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think the Plus and Premier are still doing 60k points after $2k spend each which means its a simple way to get a Companion Pass on Southwest. Its a bit of a risk that the offer would be pulled but if you wait till mid-October to apply and don't hit the spending threshold on either card till January then you have the CP for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018. Two years of BOGO airline tickets is pretty great esp since you'll have a ton of points to use too. The Ink 80k offer has been around for a while so I'd go for the Southwest cards first.
Yeah I will probably apply for my wife's 2 cards around then. I just saw yesterday that they have 60k bonus points instead of 50k right now, which makes the companion pass even easier to get.

Previously I waited until Jan 1st 2016 to start spending because the 3k points you get from the $3k spent to get the 50k bonuses (once for each card) helped go towards the 110k points. After getting 106k points we just had to spend $4k more. But this time around, looks like you don't have to worry about that so you just need to get the 60k bonuses in 2018 to be good for the next 2 years.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just applied for the Chase Ink Business Preferred and put I'm an indie mobile app developer. I got the "we need more time to review the application" thing so we will see if it goes through or not.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Just applied for the Chase Ink Business Preferred and put I'm an indie mobile app developer. I got the "we need more time to review the application" thing so we will see if it goes through or not.

I'd call them. They probably want more information about your business financials. Amex gives zero fucks about business info when applying and approving (although they'l talk your ear off when activating) but Chase has gotten stingier.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/credit-card-reconsideration-line-telephone-numbers/