PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
153v2oh.jpg

Then something tragic happened.
what happen?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ah poo, I didn't know you could transfer points between family members. Should have had my wife apply and just close it after a year (or downgrade to Freedom).
I thought you had to pay a fee to transfer points between family members on the Chase cards?

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
what happen?

John Jardine himself (the man behind Valtro) called me back and berated me for 45 minutes for trying to buy that gun. He thought it was destroyed. I pleaded with him to build me a new one regardless of price, but no dice. He said he doesn't have long to live and has enough work to keep him busy till he dies.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
John Jardine himself (the man behind Valtro) called me back and berated me for 45 minutes for trying to buy that gun. He thought it was destroyed. I pleaded with him to build me a new one regardless of price, but no dice. He said he doesn't have long to live and has enough work to keep him busy till he dies.

I'm confused, was the person not technically or legally able to sell the gun? Who stopped the sale?

They just gave you your money back and that was that? Sounds pretty BS!!!

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I'm confused, was the person not technically or legally able to sell the gun? Who stopped the sale?

They just gave you your money back and that was that? Sounds pretty BS!!!

Jardine wasn't selling the gun to me. I found it at another store and called him about it. After a couple of weeks, he called me back. Apparently there were some Valtros that were "his" that he worked on and some he sent back to be destroyed.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Jardine wasn't selling the gun to me. I found it at another store and called him about it. After a couple of weeks, he called me back. Apparently there were some Valtros that were "his" that he worked on and some he sent back to be destroyed.

Ah, so whoever sold you the gun was supposed to have destroyed it. Sucks that you spent a few weeks believing you were going to own a pretty hot collector 1911 :(. Really unfortunate =(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
so..does that mean you get refunded the $5k, lose your points, and need to spend another $4k pronto?

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
You have to be semi-retarded and desperate to pay 2.5% fee just to get 3x UR points.
Meh, I do that with my property tax bill. Extra $40 per year in the bank and I don't have to mail/or go in person to pay the bill.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
You have to be semi-retarded and desperate to pay 2.5% fee just to get 3x UR points.

Booked a roundtrip flight to DC for a mere 8400 UR points couple weeks ago. That breaks down to a bit over one mortgage payment ($2800) with $70 in that 2.5% fees for that flight instead of $130 out of pocket.
I may be retarded and desperate but also saved some cash. What's in your wallet?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Booked a roundtrip flight to DC for a mere 8400 UR points couple weeks ago. That breaks down to a bit over one mortgage payment ($2800) with $70 in that 2.5% fees for that flight instead of $130 out of pocket.
I may be retarded and desperate but also saved some cash. What's in your wallet?
I don't have a mortgage so this wouldn't work for me. If paying fees for points works for you, have at it. My wallet is fat because I don't have to manufacture spending and pay fees to get some CC points.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I don't have a mortgage so this wouldn't work for me. If paying fees for points works for you, have at it. My wallet is fat because I don't have to manufacture spending and pay fees to get some CC points.

If you value the travel rewards why wouldn't you pay 2.5% to get 4.5%?

It's positive value even if you just take it as cash, though probably not enough to be worth the hassle/risk of pissing off Chase.

Viper GTS

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If you value the travel rewards why wouldn't you pay 2.5% to get 4.5%?

It's positive value even if you just take it as cash, though probably not enough to be worth the hassle/risk of pissing off Chase.

Viper GTS
The math works and I'm semi-retarded for dismissing it. My apologies to RossMAN as it's a solid deal. I just have aversion to paying any kind of fees. It took me long time to accept credit cards with annual fees can be worth it.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
The math works and I'm semi-retarded for dismissing it. My apologies to RossMAN as it's a solid deal. I just have aversion to paying any kind of fees. It took me long time to accept credit cards with annual fees can be worth it.

Eh I get it. Most of my friends can't believe I pay 2k plus in annual fees on my top tier cards but they also ask how I'm spending a month on vacation soon staying at the Park Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, and flying all for free and paid almost next to none in cash for it.

It's these little point bonuses here and there like with Plastiq is how it all adds up.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's not semi-retarded either way. The math works only if Chase classifies the Plastiq charge as travel, which it may or may not do. I also hate eating fees, so I personally wouldn't do it. (Actually had to really convince myself that it makes sense to eat the $450 annual fee in exchange for the bonus points and travel credits.)

I thought it'd be a problem spending $4k in 90 days, but 5 weeks in I'm not too worried about it. If anything, the challenge might be to not overspend lol.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Eh I get it. Most of my friends can't believe I pay 2k plus in annual fees on my top tier cards but they also ask how I'm spending a month on vacation soon staying at the Park Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, and flying all for free and paid almost next to none in cash for it.

It's these little point bonuses here and there like with Plastiq is how it all adds up.
I spend decent amount every year on personal spending so I can rack up decent amount of points without even trying. So I'm lucky in that regard. I will pick up points if I don't have to pay fees or jump through hoops. But I'm not really point chaser. If I really cared about points, I could ask my business partner to allow me to charge some business supplies and expenses to my cards. I could easily charge million dollars a year on my card if I really wanted to. But I usually let my partner charge everything to his personal Amex Black card so he can get the points. Past couple of years he's been averaging about 1.5 million points on his Amex. I know he has couple million points on his card.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I spend decent amount every year on personal spending so I can rack up decent amount of points without even trying. So I'm lucky in that regard. I will pick up points if I don't have to pay fees or jump through hoops. But I'm not really point chaser. If I really cared about points, I could ask my business partner to allow me to charge some business supplies and expenses to my cards. I could easily charge million dollars a year on my card if I really wanted to. But I usually let my partner charge everything to his personal Amex Black card so he can get the points. Past couple of years he's been averaging about 1.5 million points on his Amex. I know he has couple million points on his card.

Yeah most of us don't have a readily available source for a million points a year which is why we do this stuff.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I suffer from this same problem. :D