PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/maximizing-amex-premier-rewards-gold-card-2016/

Hmmn I might apply for this instead, I prefer the lower min spend $2k vs $5k however annual fee is $195 vs $95 but waived the first year.

If I plan on redeeming for flights I wonder if 50k MR or 35k SPG is more valuable? We usually fly economy and are not interested in Plat personal or business cards.

Hmmn now I'm back to square one, perhaps I'll apply for both? I need to find out if I can change Amex SPG to EP or downgrade to a no AF card.

https://www.milevalue.com/which-is-the-better-offer-50k-business-gold-card-or-30k-spg-business-card/
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/06/12/starwood-amex-vs-amex-premier-rewards-gold-card/
https://upgradedpoints.com/redeem-amex-membership-rewards-points-for-max-value/

I tried downgrading my AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card to one of their Blue cash cards, or frankly any no AF card, but you are locked out of doing it. The lowest you can go is their green card with the $70 or $90 or whatever AF. I cancelled, even though I had that card for 13 years. Sucks, but it was completely useless for me at this point. They won't let you downgrade an AF card into a non-AF card class.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I tried downgrading my AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card to one of their Blue cash cards, or frankly any no AF card, but you are locked out of doing it. The lowest you can go is their green card with the $70 or $90 or whatever AF. I cancelled, even though I had that card for 13 years. Sucks, but it was completely useless for me at this point. They won't let you downgrade an AF card into a non-AF card class.

You have to be in the same family of cards to product change. In your case you were trying to go from a charge card to a credit card.

Also note this applies to almost all credit card companies and products.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You have to be in the same family of cards to product change. In your case you were trying to go from a charge card to a credit card.

Also note this applies to almost all credit card companies and products.

Uh, what's the difference? a "charge card" is like a "traditional" AMEX that you are generally required to pay in full, every month, and has no official credit limit?

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Uh, what's the difference? a "charge card" is like a "traditional" AMEX that you are generally required to pay in full, every month, and has no official credit limit?

Correct.

And card companies usually only change cards within the same family. For example, I downgraded by Chase United card and they only thing I could change it to were cards that gave United Points and nothing of the Ultimate Rewards family.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
not surprising, according to SD many Chase retail bankers have appointments booked all of today for CSR applications lol.

Argh, want to order a Dell laptop from Microcenter but the card won't arrive for a few more days. :( Deal is probably dead by then.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I made this thread about 2 months ago (1/11/17) and if you wait until today and run into trouble, you have no one to blame but yourself. Unless you have a valid reason such as 5/24 constraint and such.

All of our Chase branches closed at 1 p.m. Central time today.

Reactions: RockinZ28

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
5/24 is done with month granularity, so anyone waiting until today for 5/24 reasons didn't need to. March 1st would have been sufficient.

Viper GTS

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I got into trouble paying myself with one of paypal accounts to another one of my paypal accounts to reach the $2000 spending requirement for the Amex Gold Premier Rewards. I paid a paypal account that used the same email address as the one tied to the account. Amex called me about it to tell me it's against their policy. It was fortunately just a warning. Lo and behold, I got my 50,000 reward points today!

Just as a word of advice to anyone doing paypaling themselves - send it to an account with a different email address than the one associated with your account. I've actually done that several times before in the past and never had any issues.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I got into trouble paying myself with one of paypal accounts to another one of my paypal accounts to reach the $2000 spending requirement for the Amex Gold Premier Rewards. I paid a paypal account that used the same email address as the one tied to the account. Amex called me about it to tell me it's against their policy. It was fortunately just a warning. Lo and behold, I got my 50,000 reward points today!

Just as a word of advice to anyone doing paypaling themselves - send it to an account with a different email address than the one associated with your account. I've actually done that several times before in the past and never had any issues.

People have had their cards closed and points clawed back in the past for doing this too often or gotten so called 'Financial Reviews'. Its likely fine for meeting minimum spending but I would avoid making a habit of it

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I didn't think so either. That is, until I needed a new engine for my car.
You could try to pay your rent with it?

hmm, if i could think of a way to rack up 4$k in 3 months i'd apply

but i don't think i can rack up that kind of spending even if i tried.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've used Plastiq once(~$1500) to pay a mechanic that doesn't take credit cards. It worked fine, save the minor delay of Plastiq demanding a copy of the invoice I was paying prior to actually sending the check. Not sure if that's a new customer thing or what, but if I had to do that every time I would likely be annoyed enough to stop using the service.

I am wary of trying to use them to clear MS requirements, but for occasional use when need arises I'd use them again. I doubt I'll ever need to though as that mechanic now takes PayPal.

Viper GTS

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I already have a Southwest Companion pass, have already gotten a Sapphire Reserve and Ultimate card, and have already gotten the United Mileage Plus card so I'm sitting on about 150k URP and 50k United, and I have like 20k SW left still as well as companion pass. My wife hasn't applied for a card in a while and since the Reserve one is over, what is the next card one would recommend?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I already have a Southwest Companion pass, have already gotten a Sapphire Reserve and Ultimate card, and have already gotten the United Mileage Plus card so I'm sitting on about 150k URP and 50k United, and I have like 20k SW left still as well as companion pass. My wife hasn't applied for a card in a while and since the Reserve one is over, what is the next card one would recommend?

Probably the Chase Ink 80k UR card. If not that then probably the Chase Preferred card as you can combine points with spouse and AUs. After that I would take a close look at the chase cards and see if they offer anything you are particularly interested in since they are the most restrictive when it comes to applications. Otherwise I'd take a look at where you want to go and who can get you there\pay for your hotels there. (although I'd shy away from AA cards as their award availability has been shit and the restrict the economy seats you can book when the availability is there. I've seen only middle seats available for awards on an otherwise empty 3-3 seat configuration plane. Want one of the 2 seat sections on a 2-4-2 seat layout plane? Sorry, only the middle 4 seats can be booked with miles.)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The Ink deal is now 100k if you apply in branch (started 3/12):

https://slickdeals.net/f/9808711-ch...ur-points-starting-mar-12-in-branch-only-ymmv

Though now that I look at it again it looks like most people will probably only be able to get 80k. Regardless, definitely the next one if you are under 5/24.

Viper GTS

Yeah you almost certainly need to have to be a 'Business Managed' account which means you need a specific manager tied to your account and $500k+ in revenue. No reports of successful 100k applications so far that I have seen and several reports of people only being able to get the 80k

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Ah poo, I didn't know you could transfer points between family members. Should have had my wife apply and just close it after a year (or downgrade to Freedom).

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004

153v2oh.jpg

Then something tragic happened.