PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Trip protections like delayed flights and lost luggage are not something I considered when using points reward bookings. So if you use UR points to completely pay for the flight, you're not protected with the Sapphire Reserve trip protection perks? If not, the optimal method if you want credit card protection is to use UR points but charge $1 dollar for the flight?

In their T&C they say this:

What is a Common Carrier Covered Trip?:
It’s also travel on a Common Carrier when free flights have been awarded from frequent flier or Rewards programs, provided that all of the miles or Rewards points were accumulated from a Rewards program sponsored by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its affiliates.

Haven't done that specifically (I have filed claims when paying only taxes and fees on award flights) but that reads to me like you're still fine.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
In their T&C they say this:

Haven't done that specifically (I have filed claims when paying only taxes and fees on award flights) but that reads to me like you're still fine.

Thanks for looking that up. I feel better now knowing my UR points bookings are covered.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
American Express is adding more perks to their Platinum card and raising the annual fee by $100 trying to stop the bleeding and combat Chase Sapphire Reserve. I know Chase is taking some high end business away from AmEx with the Sapphire Reserve card. AmEx is adding $200 free Uber rides and 5x points for flights booked through its travel portal or direct with the airlines for the Platinum card. It does make the Amex Platinum little more competitive but doesn't go far enough IMO. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...apphire-sweetens-perks-with-a-200-uber-credit

Competition is great.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
American Express is adding more perks to their Platinum card and raising the annual fee by $100 trying to stop the bleeding and combat Chase Sapphire Reserve. I know Chase is taking some high end business away from AmEx with the Sapphire Reserve card. AmEx is adding $200 free Uber rides and 5x points for flights booked through its travel portal or direct with the airlines for the Platinum card. It does make the Amex Platinum little more competitive but doesn't go far enough IMO. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...apphire-sweetens-perks-with-a-200-uber-credit

Competition is great.

I keep my plat for a wide variety of non point reasons. The concierge service is amazing compared to all of the other top cards. Hotel status is a biggie too. Anyways, an extra $100 for $200 back in Uber for me is extremely worth it.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I keep my plat for a wide variety of non point reasons. The concierge service is amazing compared to all of the other top cards. Hotel status is a biggie too. Anyways, an extra $100 for $200 back in Uber for me is extremely worth it.

Problem is AMEX points are so devalued--not worth it.

The AMEX Starwood is another story however. Great value there when travelling on vacation. Don't know how it'll be in the future though with the Marriott merger--we'll see.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Problem is AMEX points are so devalued--not worth it.

The AMEX Starwood is another story however. Great value there when travelling on vacation. Don't know how it'll be in the future though with the Marriott merger--we'll see.

I don't put my main spend on my Plat but for my own personal travel habits, UR > MR = TYP. UR is only ahead because of Hyatt redemption. Other than that they're all the same to me.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Latest news. Per today's Wall Street Journal, AE will increase the annual fee from $450 to $550 but add $200 Uber credit for its Platinum CC clients. The article also stated that AE is losing market share of the well to do clients premium credit cards (from over 25% a few years ago to about 21.xx% now.

Personally, I wish AE would increase the travel amount from $200 to $300 as Chase Reserve and loosen up the restrictions.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Latest news. Per today's Wall Street Journal, AE will increase the annual fee from $450 to $550 but add $200 Uber credit for its Platinum CC clients. The article also stated that AE is losing market share of the well to do clients premium credit cards (from over 25% a few years ago to about 21.xx% now.

Personally, I wish AE would increase the travel amount from $200 to $300 as Chase Reserve and loosen up the restrictions.

Yeah having to buy gift cards every year is annoying vs. auto credit from CSR.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Just went to a branch and confirmed that the 100k point bonus was still available. Applied and was instantly approved. "Yay."

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Just went to a branch and confirmed that the 100k point bonus was still available. Applied and was instantly approved. "Yay."

Cutting close, eh?

For those that do not know, Saturday, March 11, 2017, will be the last day you can apply for this card at a Chase bank branch. So go, go, go. Don't wait too late.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Cutting close, eh?

For those that do not know, Saturday, March 11, 2017, will be the last day you can apply for this card at a Chase bank branch. So go, go, go. Don't wait too late.

Yeah... I intentionally put it on my calendar and waited. I wanted to ensure that my 3-month initial spending window would include a period of time when I'll be traveling. ;)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Yeah... I intentionally put it on my calendar and waited. I wanted to ensure that my 3-month initial spending window would include a period of time when I'll be traveling. ;)

Yeah you cut it close but smart move, the 90 day period starts the day of your approval which isn't fair. We charged EVERYTHING to my CSR auto/home/umbrella insurance, cell phones, internet, food, groceries, gas, CostCo, public transit, car rental, groceries, taxes (small fee), EVERYTHING. We were able to hit the $4k mark in about 2 months.

Then my wife applied and we did it all over again. Fortunately my wife had some business travel, she used her personal cc, her employer re-imbursed her, easy $2.5k spend, yeah we probably hit $4k by now. Our points usually post within days of hitting the minimum $4k spend.

We should be at ~ 300,000+ UR points in a few weeks, the other 100k is from new CSP and purchases. 3x points on restaurants/coffee/fast food and even Uber/parking/tolls/city bus/train is freaking awesome. The CSP will probably be downgraded to a Freedom Unlimited, Reserve has better travel/shopping protection and once again 3x points on food/travel is awesome!

Here's a nice comparison of the CSP vs CSR
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

Let me know if you have any questions about the CSR.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I wonder how many "I wish I had seen this sooner" posts we'll see after this offer expires.

8 days left, last day is next Saturday March 11. YES this offer is still available at Chase B&M, if you're still not sure call and confirm first:
https://locator.chase.com/

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I unfortunately have no branches within 85 miles of me or else I'd go out with my wife this weekend and snag her a card.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I would love to open a card for my wife but she has zero credit history other than being authorized user on some of my cards so chance of her getting approved is pretty low.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

I was doing the same, finally went to my local Chase branch yesterday and got the card. I wanted to have the best available window to spend the $4,000 in three months. Also, now I have two months next year to reap the renewed annual benefits and have the chance to cancel before being billed the annual fee in March if I am not happy with the card.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Can I use my points to book travel solely for my spouse? She has to go to the East Coast for a relative's funeral, but I'll be at home with kids.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Can I use my points to book travel solely for my spouse? She has to go to the East Coast for a relative's funeral, but I'll be at home with kids.
I don't see why not. You're paying for the ticket with points so it's the same as you buying the ticket and paying with a credit card. It's actual purchase and not free rewards ticket. It's why you don't have to pay any junk fees or extra taxes unlike if you transferred points to an airline and booked rewards flight.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I just read about the terms of the $200 Uber credit on the Amex Platinum card. It's crappy and pretty pathetic. Amex is splitting up the $200 and only giving you increments each month. So you can't charge and use all $200 Uber credit at once. You get $15 Uber credit each month to use and $20 for December. The $15 monthly credit doesn't rollover and it's use it or lose it deal. So if you charge over $15 on Uber for the month, you only get the first $15 credit and have to pay the rest. That's pretty weak and slimy on part of American Express. Why even offer the $200 Uber credit when it's so hard to use? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dit-card-amex-platinum-battles-chase-sapphire

"Jackson, who doesn’t own a car, is excited about the Amex Platinum’s new $200 Uber credit, but one feature annoys him. The $200 is doled out at $15 a month (with an extra $20 in December). You use that credit each month or lose it. If Jackson doesn’t hail an Uber in April, there’s no way to claim that $15 in May or June."

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Got my card yesterday... they sent it next day UPS which was a nice touch.

I hadn't noticed this message when reading this thread initially. I was surprised to just receive a notification from UPS that Chase is sending my card by next day air... nice touch. I was expecting it to take a week or two (particularly after the branch banker I spoke with told me it would take 5-10 business days).

Reactions: Kalvin00

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I hadn't noticed this message when reading this thread initially. I was surprised to just receive a notification from UPS that Chase is sending my card by next day air... nice touch. I was expecting it to take a week or two (particularly after the branch banker I spoke with told me it would take 5-10 business days).

You will like the new card. It is heavier than normal credit card because it is made by metal. I have this card for a few months and so far, I like it, more than my American Express Platinum. This card's benefits are as good or better ($300 vs. $200 on travel credit) than the AE Platninum.

Last edited:

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

After you receive the card, do yourself a favor and immediately activate your Priority Pass membership. It's free and takes about 2-3 weeks to receive.

http://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...se-sapphire-reserve-priority-pass-membership/
http://travelsort.com/blog/chase-sapphire-reserve-priority-pass-select-lounge-access-and-faq
https://www.walla.by/blog/151933122259/reminder-activate-your-priority-pass-with-chase
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/all-about-priority-pass-program/

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Finally got my points today!

29ntcw8.jpg

Now what should I do with them?