PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
I ended up applying for the Sapphire Reserved on the 8th and had instant approval for 35k. I called and told them I was traveling and I had the card on the 10th. I actually also got the Chase Freedom Unlimited on the same day and did the same thing. I've had the same 3 CC for well over 10 years and I didn't have any 5/24 issues and I have no debt.

I had around $50k credit across 4 different chase credit cards and when I applied for the CSR I didn't get an instant approval. Had to call in and found that they need to transfer credit line from one of my other credit cards in order to approve it.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
whats the verdict on Venmo payments using CC? Does that count toward the $4K in 3 months?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Wouldn't a Venmo payment likely process as a MCC code that would trigger cash advance fees on your card?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Wouldn't a Venmo payment likely process as a MCC code that would trigger cash advance fees on your card?

You could call your card and ask that your cash advance limit be set really low - lower than your Venmo payment. If it does code as a cash advance the transaction will be declined

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Wow, the hoops you guys jump through to hit the $4k spending... How much do you guys normally charge a year? $4k a quarter is only $16k a year.

I usually charge about $4K per month. Not bad to get 2% of them back as cash back each month after I pay the whole balance in full before the due date.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I'm envious of all of you double dipping the promo points by opening credit cards in your wife's name.

Cases like this do make me wish I am married so I can make even more money/cash back/miles such as the 100K points from American Express Platinum Card a couple years ago. Oh well.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm kinda conflicted on should I get a credit card or not. I've had them in the pass and I've gotten rid of them because I was spending more money than I would if I used cash.

I'm currently following Dave Ramsey and he says no credit cards ever. Now, I don't agree with everything he says but when it comes to CC I might have to agree.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm kinda conflicted on should I get a credit card or not. I've had them in the pass and I've gotten rid of them because I was spending more money than I would if I used cash.

I'm currently following Dave Ramsey and he says no credit cards ever. Now, I don't agree with everything he says but when it comes to CC I might have to agree.
Sounds like a good idea if you don't like free money.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

You answer your own question right there.... "because I was spending more money than I would if I used cash".

If you can't control your own impluse/spending, then do not get more credit card(s). Very simple.

About D. Ramsey, I think he is ok but too simplified. You can't just apply rules EQUALLY for all situations for everyone in life.

For me and many others, the benefits of these cards are not just good but GREAT. For example, this card will pay for my 1 week trip to Las Vegas (round trip air fare and hotel) and round trip air fare from US to Asia AND I still do have more than a few UR points leftover. Not bad for $450 investment cost on my end. If I have to pay those costs out of my pocket, they will be a lot more.

Last edited:

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Score! Got rejected at first due to "max amount of credit" but I called them and had them transfer the credit line on the regular Sapphire card to the new CSR.
There's enough points and credits there to pay for the whole family airfare to Cancun this summer -- not free but it's $450 out of pocket vs $1500. This should be posted in Hot Deals.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Score! Got rejected at first due to "max amount of credit" but I called them and had them transfer the credit line on the regular Sapphire card to the new CSR.
There's enough points and credits there to pay for the whole family airfare to Cancun this summer -- not free but it's $450 out of pocket vs $1500. This should be posted in Hot Deals.

Technically $150 because you get $300 back in credit.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I haven't received my first statement yet or paid a cent but Chase has already posted the $300 travel credit and 100k points to my account. That's pretty cool. I thought I would have to pay the $4k spending first.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyone used the Global Entry perk for this card? Does it just add the $100 credit onto the card after you make the purchase, just like the travel credit comes on automatically?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Anyone used the Global Entry perk for this card? Does it just add the $100 credit onto the card after you make the purchase, just like the travel credit comes on automatically?
yes

9QQVM3x.png

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

If you ever needed more evidence that Dave Ramsey is an idiot, here it is.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

received my free priority pass in the mail last night; I guess global entry is the last perk that I need to initiate.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
received my free priority pass in the mail last night; I guess global entry is the last perk that I need to initiate.
Yeah last night I was going through and looking at all the free perks. I activated the priority pass yesterday so I should have it before I go to Aruba in March. There is a lounge at the airport there so I'll check that out on the way back. There is one on the way too but it looks like it's only open in the afternoon/evening and I'm leaving pretty early.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah last night I was going through and looking at all the free perks. I activated the priority pass yesterday so I should have it before I go to Aruba in March. There is a lounge at the airport there so I'll check that out on the way back. There is one on the way too but it looks like it's only open in the afternoon/evening and I'm leaving pretty early.

It took a little over 2 weeks for my pass to arrive, for whatever reason.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Just want to let you and everyone know, not all lounges are the same. Same are very good (international such as NRT) and some are just ok/decent (I am looking at you DFW). The one in DFW airport only has continental food, juice, and some wines. Nothing fancy at all.

FYI. You have to take a day off from work to do the Global Entry because most, if not all, of the locations only work from M-F during business hours and they are closed on all Federal holidays. That's why I haven't use it yet.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Just want to let you and everyone know, not all lounges are the same. Same are very good (international such as NRT) and some are just ok/decent (I am looking at you DFW). The one in DFW airport only has continental food, juice, and some wines. Nothing fancy at all.

Yeah thats a general International vs Domestic issue. With a few exceptions like Amex Centurion lounges or United Polaris lounge in Chicago, domestic lounges are pretty lackluster compared to most international offerings

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

FYI. You have to take a day off from work to do the Global Entry because most, if not all, of the locations only work from M-F during business hours and they are closed on all Federal holidays. That's why I haven't use it yet.
Yeah I saw the differences on the website that shows what amentities they have. The one in Aruba seems to have a lot compared to the one at BWI.
Do you apply for the priority pass through Chase website?
Yeah you do it through the link in the top right dropdown when you are logged into chase and viewing your account. Then you just click a button lol.

Reactions: Aharami

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Oddly enough, I've had access to lounges via Amex Plat, but have never taken advantage of it. Which leads to my question, do the lounges alert you to when your plane is starting to board? Or do you have to just go to your gate when you think they are going to board?