PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
update:

So my $700 "rent" to the GF, via Paypal charged to the CSR, went through without problems. Well, mostly. I didn't pay any kind of fee (I almost never use paypal, and this is the first time I ever charged a cc through it, so I didn't know what to expect) but it charged her ~$20 for the transaction. I paid as a service, because I wasn't sure that sending money to friend/family would qualify.

posted to CSR statement and I've now paid off the first group of charges on my balance.

HOWEVER--today I tried to buy some booze for ~$26 and the card was declined twice. Called them, and they had put a hold on my card due to the paypal transaction because they weren't sure if it was legit. I mean, not like they have a history of my purchases yet, but I would think that this would be a somewhat normal charge, thought it does show up as a charge to xxxxx@gmail.com.

Anyhoo, got that squared away. So just so you know, if the fee isn't a problem, you guys can likely charge rent via paypal, at least. I don't mind the Fee because it actually saves me far more money that I otherwise wouldn't want to spend. Now, I will be buying some cash cards--like Amazon and maybe Costco, but I don't want to put too much money in those. I already have some Costco cash cards that need to be spent down from the previous quarter(s) of the Freedom 5% back offer. grrrr.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
paypal is kinda annoying to use with CCs. % or flat fee i can never figure out what they are doing

my mom runs her own business and sold me 3500$ worth of nothing and wrote me a check - all i had to do was eat the CC %

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wow, the hoops you guys jump through to hit the $4k spending... How much do you guys normally charge a year? $4k a quarter is only $16k a year.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
meh i would have prob spent it anyway i just wanted to get it out of the way without having to think about it

I normally use my AMEX for most things - did about 9k on it last year and prob 3-4 on a diff rewards card

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Wow, the hoops you guys jump through to hit the $4k spending... How much do you guys normally charge a year? $4k a quarter is only $16k a year.

i only spend like 20-25$k all year and a lot of that is rent which i can't pay with a CC

so imma have to manufacture a little bit

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
so when do i get my points? ive spent my 4k

my GE still says pending review :/ - however im worried about this, i don't have any paper docs proving i live where i do, nothings in my name
If you go to the Ultimate Rewards website and go into your Reserve card, it will say "Earning XXX points on next statement." Can use that to confirm you've reached the spending requirement, as it should say 100,000 + whatever points you've accumulated from transactions.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I have a habit of not charging everything to my cc monthly....which I just realized is a thing, actually, and I like it. Heh.

But, rent/mortgage isn't something I'd put on a cc normally, so I would otherwise have to manufacture that ~$750/month additional in spending to make the ~1333/month average for this goal. That is basically what I put away in savings (after payroll), so it would just mean I don't save for 3 months.

That idea makes me feel itchy, these days. Dunno. So I'll probably do the rent/paypal one more month and eat the $20 fee, and then the 3rd month eat that savings with Costco/Amazon cash.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
hmm... should have got my wife one of these before the deal expired. We have 680,000 points currently and will blow them all on the trip to Hawaii I'm trying to book this week. The $300 travel credit and the 100,000 points was a no-brainer.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
hmm... should have got my wife one of these before the deal expired. We have 680,000 points currently and will blow them all on the trip to Hawaii I'm trying to book this week. The $300 travel credit and the 100,000 points was a no-brainer.

... have her go to a Chase branch and apply? The deal's still supposed to be good at branches for a couple of months, I believe.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Thanks OP for this thread. No brainer deal indeed. I got 60k pts from the regular Sapphire card and got my CSR application in at the branch last week. Guess I'm on the waiting list to find out. Got a couple trips coming up this year and this will come in very handy. Wish I found out about this earlier last year, would've gotten this one instead.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I ended up applying for the Sapphire Reserved on the 8th and had instant approval for 35k. I called and told them I was traveling and I had the card on the 10th. I actually also got the Chase Freedom Unlimited on the same day and did the same thing. I've had the same 3 CC for well over 10 years and I didn't have any 5/24 issues and I have no debt.

So I've been using only the Reserve since the 10th and I'm currently at $4,730, lol. But one issue was I booked a flight for the wife and I to Tokyo and stupid United screwed it up and then had to re-book the trip, but it tacked on an extra $1,600 that they are refunding. I'm really only around $3,100 spent. I still need to spend about $900 in the next 2 months to meet the 4k. Easy enough.

Basically I've purchase everything with the Reserve to meet the 4k spend. Now I'm only using it for Food and Travel, then using the Freedom for everything else for the 1.5 point return. The reserve automatically gave me the $300 travel, so it's worth the yearly cost as far as I'm concerned. I love to travel, guilty.

I went ahead and paid for the tickets and was planning on using the points on rooms since it's a 10 day trip, but now I'm probably just going to eat the cost of the entire trip and then use the points to take my wife and youngest son to Paris, Venice and/or Rome. TBD because everyone has their own opinion. lol. He's never been out of the country and the farthest he's gone is Hawaii, last year. I want to take him abroad and expand his horizons :D

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah the $300 credit posted right below my AirBNB purchase once it posted. Now to just wait for the 100k points.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks OP for this thread. No brainer deal indeed. I got 60k pts from the regular Sapphire card and got my CSR application in at the branch last week. Guess I'm on the waiting list to find out. Got a couple trips coming up this year and this will come in very handy. Wish I found out about this earlier last year, would've gotten this one instead.

How are you getting 60K pts ?? Is that 50K+5K authorized user and $4000 in spending ??

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I posted earlier in the thread that its probably not possible anymore.

Where did you hear that? As of Jan 20 they dropped pre-approvals at the branch but everything I have read indicates that offer is still available in branch. That should really only affect those over 5/24 (Although its supposedly temporary). I suspect that if it wasn't possible anymore there would be at least 1 post in the flyertalk offer thread

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

I'd also like to know where you heard this? I was at a Chase branch over the weekend and they were still offering 100,000 UR for CSR.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
How are you getting 60K pts ?? Is that 50K+5K authorized user and $4000 in spending ??

My bad. I should've been more specific. It was 50k + spending points + rollover pts in my Freedom account that I transferred over. UR pts are worth more in travel than cash back which rocks. And I love the heavy metal Sapphire card.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Just to give you a heads up if you think you can still get the 100K points at the branch.
I posted this on another forum.
When I got approval at the branch on the 10th, they checked my wife and she was pre-qualified too.
We didn't do hers because I didn't want to rush spending $8000 in 3 months. We went back today because I already spent the $4000 and she was no longer qualified for the CSR. The lady told me Chase stopped this at the branch and you would have to apply online.
So we ended up getting the CSP for my wife. Not a bad deal. 55K with NO annual fee for the first year

I posted this just a page earlier.
Sure they might still do the 100K at the branch but for a lot of us, we went to the branch because we are at 5/24 limit. Trying to apply at the branch is useless unless you were pre-qualified.
Once I saw that my wife wasn't pre-qualified for the CSR anymore, I didn't bother trying to apply for the CSR because we both tried it once already and were denied.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I posted this just a page earlier.
Sure they might still do the 100K at the branch but for a lot of us, we went to the branch because we are at 5/24 limit. Trying to apply at the branch is useless unless you were pre-qualified.
Once I saw that my wife wasn't pre-qualified for the CSR anymore, I didn't bother trying to apply for the CSR because we both tried it once already and were denied.

You can apply at a branch and get approved without being pre-qualified. It is unlikely to happen if you are 6/24 (some 5/24s have reported successes) but if you are under that and have a credit score 700+ (maybe 680+) you will likely get approved. I wouldn't say that going to a branch is useless by any means

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
You can apply at a branch and get approved without being pre-qualified. It is unlikely to happen if you are 6/24 (some 5/24s have reported successes) but if you are under that and have a credit score 700+ (maybe 680+) you will likely get approved. I wouldn't say that going to a branch is useless by any means

Did you carefully read what I posted ??
I used the word useless right after I made a statement about the 5/24 rule.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Did you carefully read what I posted ??
I used the word useless right after I made a statement about the 5/24 rule.

First of all your reply that I quoted (requoted above) was made in reference to someone who has made no claim about their 5/24 status. You can't tell someone its probably not possible anymore if you don't know the details of their credit score and # of applications.

Second, since you want to be pedantic, I'm not sure the value in making your text bold if you can't carefully read what I posted. I specifically mentioned that people had been approved if they were 6/24 and had no prequalified status - which completely negates your use of an absolute in your statement about 5/24.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Went in store yesterday and they still had 100k points. Literature was printed in January. Got approved.