PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Loved mine, got my $600 in delta gift cards (had no where to fly at the time, so got gift cards), and the 100k points I got about $1400 from my points buyer guy...so all in all, well worth the 495 yearly fee or whatever it was. Just cancelled it this morning, will see what else is up for chase :)

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Booked the Turks and Caicos trip. Nonstop Delta flight was 36k points per person. I found a cheap room at Blue Haven Resort so I booked it as placeholder while I search for better options. The property looked nice from pictures but it's away from most things and it's on a marina and not on a beach. But I'll rent a car and I normally like the bay more than the beach at Florida.

awesome... you'll love it

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got my card today in the mail. Came UPS Express even though it's been like 10 days or so since I applied lol. $34k limit.

Now to stop using my United card...

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Fucking sucks my wife didn't get approved, was indeed the 5/24 rule from the letter she received.

Just booked 4 business trips for the next month...would have made that 4k limit instantly.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah I'm in the middle of booking a trip to probably Aruba for next month. $4k will easily be hit.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Loved mine, got my $600 in delta gift cards (had no where to fly at the time, so got gift cards), and the 100k points I got about $1400 from my points buyer guy...so all in all, well worth the 495 yearly fee or whatever it was. Just cancelled it this morning, will see what else is up for chase :)

I would have at least applied for Global Entry, unless you already have it?

Even if you don't plan on international travel it includes TSA precheck benefits.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I would have at least applied for Global Entry, unless you already have it?

Even if you don't plan on international travel it includes TSA precheck benefits.

Global Entry is not valuable to me because I only travel for leisure and usually only with my family. So it does me no good unless all my family members have Global Entry as well. And I'm not paying $100 for each family member. Global Entry is such a scam.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Global Entry is not valuable to me because I only travel for leisure and usually only with my family. So it does me no good unless all my family members have Global Entry as well. And I'm not paying $100 for each family member. Global Entry is such a scam.

Just leave them behind to wait in the plebe line ;) Personally I am a fan of Global Entry. For example we were at the very back of a 747 earlier this month (back couple rows have two seats across instead of three) so pretty much all the ~400 other passengers were in front of us in line along with whoever else landed around the same time making the normal line quite long. No wait for the GE kiosks though. Walked right up and then right through passport control. Luggage arrived on the belt about 2 min after we got to baggage claim. Simple, easy, painless. Well worth the $0 I paid for it.

FWIW I've heard that CBP has been experimenting with a 'Mobile Passport Control' app for smartphones that most people can use (No GE required). Only at a few airports but I guess its so new that there is rarely a wait for it

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

At least get it for the TSA Pre-Check. If you book the ticket for your family, everyone will get Pre-Check.

Reactions: ponyo

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
At least get it for the TSA Pre-Check. If you book the ticket for your family, everyone will get Pre-Check.

That is not true. Its not a guarantee based on who books it as each passenger is individually evaluated by the TSA system in regards to whether that person gets pre-check or not. Even if you are enrolled in the program and your information is entered correctly it is not 100% guaranteed you will get TSA-PRE on your boarding pass for that flight. It it can happen frequently if you are on the same PNR as someone with pre-check but it depends on the airline and the current state of the TSA's managed inclusion program (And the TSA keeps changing how that program operates. They have wildly swung from one extreme to the other in the past). I've booked flights for my wife and I on the same PNR (we both have precheck) and had cases where one of us gets PreCheck and the other doesn't. I've also had cases where I've booked tickets for 4 people and 3 get precheck and 1 does not.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Ok, please forgive me if it's already been covered in this thread.

How would this compare to the Chase United MileagePlus Cards? I used to be a United card holder (my preferred airline) but got rid of it a while back when I stopped traveling. Recently, my GF and I have found ourselves on flights a lot more so I was thinking of singing back up with the United card.

Would the overall perks of the CSR card greatly outweigh the United MP card? 4K would be easy to hit in the timeframe, and I don't mind going to a chase bank to sign up for the card.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

How would this compare to the Chase United MileagePlus Cards? I used to be a United card holder (my preferred airline) but got rid of it a while back when I stopped traveling. Recently, my GF and I have found ourselves on flights a lot more so I was thinking of singing back up with the United card.

Would the overall perks of the CSR card greatly outweigh the United MP card? 4K would be easy to hit in the timeframe, and I don't mind going to a chase bank to sign up for the card.

Yes its better. Better earning potential and this way you're not locked into United Points. You can transfer Ultimate points to United easily. Unless a free checked bag every time you fly is super important to you.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008

Why not get both? Get the CSR in order to get the sign up bonuses, cancel within a year if it's not profitable to keep. I'd also get the United card at the same time to save on bag fees. There's no fee the first year, and one round trip with a companion would pay for the fees if you both have baggage. You're also eligible for the 30k miles + 5k per authorized user if it has been over 24 months since you got a new cardmember bonus.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You're also eligible for the 30k miles + 5k per authorized user if it has been over 24 months since you got a new cardmember bonus.

You might be targeted for a better offer. There is a link you can check here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...4-mileage-plus-explorer-card-2016-onward.html

Otherwise you might want to wait till its back to 50k given chase's restrictive application policy. I'd be surprised if they don't run a promo like that at least once this year (and they tend to stick around for a while when they are offered)

Reactions: SketchMaster

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
this is a stupid question but can i set a pin for the chip on the site or do i actually need to speak to someone on the phone? im not seeing the option on the chase site

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
no biggie, not all cards have implemented the pins yet. just wanted to make sure i wasn't just missing it in my current jetlagged state

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
no biggie, not all cards have implemented the pins yet. just wanted to make sure i wasn't just missing it in my current jetlagged state

Most (all?) US credit cards decided to use signatures instead of pins with the chips. The pin is only for ATMs.

They are better than swipe cards (total PITA in Europe), but they're still annoying for travel. I go to the UK a lot and almost every day someone is confused by the fact that I have to sign instead of entering a pin. The machines don't let you sign the displays, so you have to sign the paper receipt. One young girl at a store stared at the receipt for 30s, then signed it herself, not realizing the customer was supposed to be the one signing... hahaha. No one at stores or restaurants ever has a pen, so they spend 5 minutes looking for one. Sometimes they check your ID to see if your signature matches your card, and of course everyone in the US just scribbles some junk when they sign receipts. I've never had any problems at machines though (vending, train tickets, etc).

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
not all, my the Citi MC i have for work uses a pin and so does my AMEX, i think the llbean visa has one as well

debit card has one as well even when you run it as credit (at the places that force the chip) not everyone does

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Dammit I missed out on this. I just signed up for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card when they offered 50,000 points. I thought that was a helluva deal. This more than doubles it!

A easy way to hit the spending requirement is to have two paypal accounts and simply paypal the $4000 to yourself. You'll have to pay 3%, but that's pale in comparison to the signup bonus.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Dammit I missed out on this. I just signed up for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card when they offered 50,000 points. I thought that was a helluva deal. This more than doubles it!

A easy way to hit the spending requirement is to have two paypal accounts and simply paypal the $4000 to yourself. You'll have to pay 3%, but that's pale in comparison to the signup bonus.

holy shit that's a great idea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Hm, I may just do that.

By the way, this deal is not dead yet: you can go to a Chase bank until March ~12 and sign up in person for the full 100k point offer.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

holy shit that's a great idea

Heh, I eventually realized something today when trying to work out with my GF to Paypal her money charged to the CSR card, then have her bank transfer the money back to me--which, should just work, right?

We do direct BoA transfers every month because she pays mortgage, I basically transfer rent to her. ....This way, with Paypal, I should be able to effectively charge my rent payment to the CSR card and through Paypal transfer to her, qualify for spending, right? ...We can't do one of those 3rd party services for mortgage/rent spending because this place obviously isn't a rental property and neither of us are actually landlords, heh.