PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
It's not $1500 bonus - it is 100k rewards points. You can buy $1k in Amazon gift cards for that if you want. I do believe the $300 is bonus travel points I'm not really sure about that one to be honest, the 100k points alone is worth it to me though.

The best way to use the points for flights though is not through Chase Ultimate Rewards, it is to transfer them to United and find the "saver" United flights. The points go a lot further on United than they do directly through the rewards program. But if you don't want to fly United, then don't do that.

their portal is def hit or miss... my gf and I, made out well, for a flight to turks and caicos

delta charges around around 60k + some fees (not much)
united 35k (if you find the saver flight) + some fees (not much)
UR portal was 29k + no fees

I didn't really look into that many more places for mileage cost vs what I was going to pay through the UR portal... 29k was an insane deal and we hopped on it. In general the UR portal is fairly open in terms of available flights while most rewards flights are slim pickings

with all that said... the transfer partners make a ton more sense if you are trying to fly business class international. my gf plan on saving up our remaining points for an epic Europe trip next year

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I was surprised that the application response was instantaneous, based simply off 4 or 5 questions. I chose self-employed, plugged in a estimated annual income ;), clicked, and next screen was the decision. Is that typical of credit card applications? No wonder people get into CC debt!

All credit accounts are tied to your SSN, so its pretty easy for the CC companies to cross reference your income entries, etc., and to check your credit score off that alone.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
You do any banking with Chase? Approval was super fast for me as well, however I have 3 savings accounts, 2 checking accounts and 4 credit cards with Chase. They are well aware of my financial standing.

I don't bank with Chase at all. But my credit score is 830+ and I have no missed payments over a 20+ year credit history.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Obviously for ATOT millionaires, it's implied that you're supposed to drop $4k within 3 months without even trying. :p

I can spend $4k in 3 months easily. Heck - 3 months of daycare for my daughter is $3600.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
haha, I know. I'm actually strongly considering this as I pretty much pay everything through cc anyway, though cable and gas are still bank transfer. Still, with mortgage + bills + everything, I'm at about $1300-1500 total per month. Take out mortgage, I have to make up another ~$750-800 each month. yikes!

...though I might be buying some new computer components February-Marchish...but that's a lot to pin on the end of this cycle.
Whatever you're short, just buy $500 Visa gift cards. You pay a small fee, but no reason to force spending money on other things just to reach the $4k. If you shop at Amazon often, you could just load up your Gift card balance or buy gift cards for no fees as well.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Whatever you're short, just buy $500 Visa gift cards. You pay a small fee, but no reason to force spending money on other things just to reach the $4k. If you shop at Amazon often, you could just load up your Gift card balance or buy gift cards for no fees as well.

I was thinking about getting Amazon gift card for no cost but not sure what to buy at Amazon with $500 or more ($4K) and I could not find any decent vendor at Amazon GC section to spend $500 or more on a GC or GCs. I purchased $50 GC each for JC Penney and Regal Cinema during Christmas and I think I spend about $10 on each of them.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I was thinking about getting Amazon gift card for no cost but not sure what to buy at Amazon with $500 or more ($4K) and I could not find any decent vendor at Amazon GC section to spend $500 or more on a GC or GCs. I purchased $50 GC each for JC Penney and Regal Cinema during Christmas and I think I spend about $10 on each of them.
There's nothing forcing you to spend your gift cards immediately, or on crap you don't need. If you don't need an expensive item or rarely shop at Amazon, then it probably isn't a good choice to buy gift cards in large increments.

Me, I'll buy a $1,000 gift card and use it throughout the year on household goods until it runs out.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
their portal is def hit or miss... my gf and I, made out well, for a flight to turks and caicos

delta charges around around 60k + some fees (not much)
united 35k (if you find the saver flight) + some fees (not much)
UR portal was 29k + no fees

I didn't really look into that many more places for mileage cost vs what I was going to pay through the UR portal... 29k was an insane deal and we hopped on it. In general the UR portal is fairly open in terms of available flights while most rewards flights are slim pickings

with all that said... the transfer partners make a ton more sense if you are trying to fly business class international. my gf plan on saving up our remaining points for an epic Europe trip next year
That is good to know. I may be going back to T&C this year and was planning on using the points that I have either on united or with the card.

Reactions: Elganja

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Why do you have so many CCs from Chase? Just curious.

Do not cancel the card if possible. Downgrade the "expensive card, ie.. high annual fee" to a "cheaper...ie..lower annual fee" if you can help it.

Because Chase Ultimate Rewards points are useful. Freedom for the 5% quarterly rewards, Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% everything, Sapphire Preferred 2% and now Sapphire Reserve for the 3% travel and dining, and Amazon for 3% Amazon purchases. Sapphire Preferred is now redundant and no longer needed because of the Sapphire Reserve. But Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve make great trio because you can transfer earned Ultimate Rewards points between cards. I don't use Amazon card much since I rarely shop at Amazon now but it was helpful in the past when I used to.

If I close Sapphire Preferred, I'll be back down to four Chase cards. I know about small temporary credit hit for closing a card. That's inconsequential and doesn't bother me. My credit is excellent and I'm not trying for 850 credit score like some people here. My credit is mature and I've lot of large lines so the hit will be very minimal and my scores will recover after couple of months. It's no big deal. I don't need new credit.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You do any banking with Chase? Approval was super fast for me as well, however I have 3 savings accounts, 2 checking accounts and 4 credit cards with Chase. They are well aware of my financial standing.

I have a rule. I don't do banking with institutions I have credit card or lines of credit with. Banks can debit and seize the money in your account if something happens and you don't pay your cards.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Because Chase Ultimate Rewards points are useful. Freedom for the 5% quarterly rewards, Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% everything, Sapphire Preferred 2% and now Sapphire Reserve for the 3% travel and dining, and Amazon for 3% Amazon purchases. Sapphire Preferred is now redundant and no longer needed because of the Sapphire Reserve. But Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve make great trio because you can transfer earned Ultimate Rewards points between cards. I don't use Amazon card much since I rarely shop at Amazon now but it was helpful in the past when I used to.

If I close Sapphire Preferred, I'll be back down to four Chase cards. I know about small temporary credit hit for closing a card. That's inconsequential and doesn't bother me. My credit is excellent and I'm not trying for 850 credit score like some people here. My credit is mature and I've lot of large lines so the hit will be very minimal and my scores will recover after couple of months. It's no big deal. I don't need new credit.
If you close your Preferred, don't make any purchases for an entire statement period on that card prior to closing. Then request the credit limit on that card be transferred to your Reserve when you close. That's what I did, should have almost no impact on score if at all.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
haha, I know. I'm actually strongly considering this as I pretty much pay everything through cc anyway, though cable and gas are still bank transfer. Still, with mortgage + bills + everything, I'm at about $1300-1500 total per month. Take out mortgage, I have to make up another ~$750-800 each month. yikes!

...though I might be buying some new computer components February-Marchish...but that's a lot to pin on the end of this cycle.

same here, i am probably not going to apply because it'd cause me to spend money i don't need to just to hit that 4$k

in the end i'd likely end up with less money than if i didn't get the card, and just paid for my vacation travel like normal.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
same here, i am probably not going to apply because it'd cause me to spend money i don't need to just to hit that 4$k

in the end i'd likely end up with less money than if i didn't get the card, and just paid for my vacation travel like normal.
facepalm.jpg

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

Rent? Utilities? Groceries? Gas? I'd easily hit that $1333 a month on that alone.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Only things I can't do on CC is my mortgage/taxes and my car payments. Or I am guessing putting money into my Roth through vanguard, granted I've never tried that.

Everything else I pay with CC. Gas, utilities, fios, cell phones, netflix, gym, groceries, fun stuff, diapers, etc. It's really easy to hit $4k in 3 months. Probably hit it in like 7-8 weeks most likely.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Don't use their Amazon card. The Amazon only card is 5% back (and instant $50 in gift card credit on opening) instead of the 3% you get with the Chase card. Well, it's also the option of interest free for purchases $150 and up, but if you do that, you're carrying a balance and as we know, that's doing it wrong.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i snagged one as well,

it didn't tell me instantly that i was approved but it showed up at my house like a day later in an express mail envelope

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
For me, Chase UR points are so much better than AE Rewards points. I literally couldn't find anything I wanted to use AE Rewards points for. I ended up using it on some Neiman Marcus gift cards and gave it to the wife before closing my Amex card.

yea thats an issue with the AE points, i always just dumped them into amazon as it seemed easiest

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Got my card yesterday... they sent it next day UPS which was a nice touch.

Already spent plenty booking some travel on a trip to NYC. I'll probably keep the card just because of the added trip protection benefits and such.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Got my card yesterday... they sent it next day UPS which was a nice touch.

Already spent plenty booking some travel on a trip to NYC. I'll probably keep the card just because of the added trip protection benefits and such.

Agreed although I probably won't take advantage of them all. The travel protection is pretty comprehensive, I can use it instead of purchasing optional travel insurance.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/all-about-chase-sapphire-reserve-perks/

Trip delay reimbursement — If your travel on a common carrier is delayed for more than 6 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses (including meals and lodging) for up to $500 per ticket. With the Sapphire Preferred Card, you’ll receive the same amount of coverage, but only if your travel is delayed for more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay.

I wonder if weather delays are covered?