• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
i'm not talking america, i'm talking ATOT

i think it was alky who said that 100$k was like minimum wage around here, almost a decade ago
I live in the real world, not in make believe fantasy.

I think we need specifics. For those with 800+ scores. Are we taking 801 or 810,820,830 or more?
You worry too much about the score. As long as you have 760 or higher FICO, you are golden (best rates for CC, loans, etc.) . No need to worry about if your score is too low comparing to others.

For example, if you have an B average (3.0 GPA or better), it does not matter if your grade average is 3.01 or 3.49. It is all in the same range, Same as credit score.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I live in the real world, not in make believe fantasy.
in software dev forums, making less than 150$k straight out of college is now considered to be failure

and ideally one is making close to 500$k by the time they hit 30

according to teamblind.com and levels.fyi, total comp is love, total comp is life, total comp is everything

i don't live in silicon valley so i had to get a side job just to compensate for my low non-FAANG pay

Nov 8, 2012
in software dev forums, making less than 150$k straight out of college is now considered to be failure

and ideally one is making close to 500$k by the time they hit 30

according to teamblind.com and levels.fyi, total comp is love, total comp is life, total comp is everything

i don't live in silicon valley so i had to get a side job just to compensate for my low non-FAANG pay
Seriously though, what does a software dev get paid out of college?

I figure it's just like anything else in life - you're making breadcrumbs until you climb the ranks into project management, lead positions, etc...

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Seriously though, what does a software dev get paid out of college?

I figure it's just like anything else in life - you're making breadcrumbs until you climb the ranks into project management, lead positions, etc...
starting in smaller cities/companies seems to still be around 60-70k, not much more than it was a decade ago

starting at bigger cities/companies (but not FAANG) is looking to be around 80-100k now

starting at a FAANG (plus microsoft and a few high-flying startups) company is well over 100k. seems to be about 120k for salary and 50k for stock + bonuses. though with the startups, those stock options might end up being worth nothing or millions.

senior and lead positions top out at around 150k in smaller cities/companies, 200k in bigger cities/companies and like 400-500k at FAANG companies.

if you're really good and can get a "staff engineer" job (like an architect) at a FAANG company, those pull between 500k-1M.

Last edited:
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1
Nov 8, 2012
starting in smaller cities/companies seems to still be around 60-70k, not much more than it was a decade ago

starting at bigger cities/companies (but not FAANG) is looking to be around 80-100k now

starting at a FAANG (plus microsoft and a few high-flying startups) company is well over 100k. seems to be about 120k for salary and 50k for stock + bonuses. though with the startups, those stock options might end up being worth nothing or millions.

senior and lead positions top out at around 150k in smaller cities/companies, 200k in bigger cities/companies and like 400-500k at FAANG companies.

if you're really good and can get a "staff engineer" job (like an architect) at a FAANG company, those pull between 500k-1M.
Gotcha, thanks. So whats the probability of starting out a FAANG - I presume all these require residence in SF/Bay area?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Gotcha, thanks. So whats the probability of starting out a FAANG - I presume all these require residence in SF/Bay area?
i'm not sure... the forums/subreddits where they post about it are filled will kids whose lives are defined by getting into a FAANG straight out of college, and who will grind leetcode for hours a day to make sure they get in.

so it seems the probability is high there, but it's selection bias.

i will say that i know 5 or 6 people who got into FAANG companies or unicorn startups after 5-10 years in their careers (some software devs, some project managers). out of all those people, i would have thought only 1 would have what it takes to get in. so maybe the bar is not as high as i thought.

most are in SF but amazon and microsoft (an "almost-FAANG" company) are in seattle. plus amazon has centers all across the country, and i think google has a few cities like that as well. nobody i know is fully remote at any of those places.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyone know if you can "chain" companion passes?

What I mean is my wife is my companion for the rest of this year. She also has companion pass status but hasn't added anyone yet.

We are flying to Aruba in November with myself, her, my son, and my MIL.

Would it be possible for me to book my flight with my son, then add my wife as a companion, and then her add her MIL as her companion, if we designate her mother in law as her companion?

EDIT:

N/m, they say you can't do that on the FAQ.

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Anyone know if you can "chain" companion passes?

What I mean is my wife is my companion for the rest of this year. She also has companion pass status but hasn't added anyone yet.

We are flying to Aruba in November with myself, her, my son, and my MIL.

Would it be possible for me to book my flight with my son, then add my wife as a companion, and then her add her MIL as her companion, if we designate her mother in law as her companion?

EDIT:

N/m, they say you can't do that on the FAQ.
Yeah - I was going to say you can't do that. Best case scenario you would change your companion to someone else and you would have four tickets for the price of two.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah - I was going to say you can't do that. Best case scenario you would change your companion to someone else and you would have four tickets for the price of two.
Yeah but there are 2 problems with that.

1. We have a trip with my current companion to Puerto Rico in August and it says to switch companions you have to cancel your current companion.

2. It says it takes 21 days to take effect and I'd rather book the flight sooner than later.

So I'd have to wait until August 17th to make the change, which would put the day I can book them around September 8th. I don't want to wait that long.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Yeah but there are 2 problems with that.

1. We have a trip with my current companion to Puerto Rico in August and it says to switch companions you have to cancel your current companion.

2. It says it takes 21 days to take effect and I'd rather book the flight sooner than later.

So I'd have to wait until August 17th to make the change, which would put the day I can book them around September 8th. I don't want to wait that long.
I think you can only change your companion once a year, so maximum two companions in a year, which may also affect you. There's a reason why they build in some limitations like that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So since this was of recent discussion, I just wanted to let people know that changing your companion pass is instant.

The website says 21 days for processing and the new card being mailed out, but I just did it now on the phone and changed it to my son and as soon as I refreshed my account page, it showed him.

Then my wife could add her mom as her companion.

And I now just booked my flight with points and added my son as companion, and booked one on my wifes account with points and added her mom as her companion, all for $340 for a round trip to Aruba for my 40th in November/December.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
So since this was of recent discussion, I just wanted to let people know that changing your companion pass is instant.

The website says 21 days for processing and the new card being mailed out, but I just did it now on the phone and changed it to my son and as soon as I refreshed my account page, it showed him.

Then my wife could add her mom as her companion.

And I now just booked my flight with points and added my son as companion, and booked one on my wifes account with points and added her mom as her companion, all for $340 for a round trip to Aruba for my 40th in November/December.
this is with Southwest, right? Not CSR?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS