PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah as @Exterous said if you really want it asap, just call that number.

I applied for my United card on the weekend and didn't get auto approved. I called that number and had my card by Wednesday lol and booked my flights that same night to get the points + free baggage for 2.
I'm not going to sweat it. It's no big deal if I don't get the card. I'm not going to call them.

probably shouldn't have told them that you're unemployed now
3PfnvVk.png
lol. I didn't tell them that. Perhaps I should've. :D

Nov 8, 2012
So to bring this topic back full-circle to the Chase Sapphire Reserve - looks like there is a new sign-on bonus for 60k points.

It looks like the first annual fee might be waived as well?

Which at $550 annual fee - that definitely puts it in line as "close" to the same worthy as the 100k original sign on? Basically trading $550 for 40k additional points.

Also 80k for the Chase Sapphire preferred AND $50 statement credit - which seems odd to me... why is the cheaper lower AF giving a better bonus?

1615495171013.png

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
So to bring this topic back full-circle to the Chase Sapphire Reserve - looks like there is a new sign-on bonus for 60k points.

Which at $550 annual fee - that definitely puts it in line as "close" to the same worthy as the 100k original sign on? Basically trading $550 for 40k additional points.

Also 80k for the Chase Sapphire preferred AND $50 statement credit - which seems odd to me... why is the cheaper lower AF giving a better bonus?

View attachment 40940
Where do you see the waived fee? That would be a huge perk.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I got an email from Chase they approved my Southwest card for $13k+ line. But they didn't grant me additional credit but just reallocated and took some from my existing line. I have Chase Freedom Unlimited with almost $40k line and they took $13k+ from that card for the new Southwest card. This is the second Chase card in a row where they took some of the credit line from my existing cards for the new card. They did that when I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve as well. I guess this is Chase way of telling me they think I have enough credit with them, and they're uncomfortable granting me more without financial review of my docs like bank statements and tax records. That's fair. I don't bank with Chase so they don't know anything about me other than the info I put on my credit card application and my credit report.

I'm going to try to use this SW companion pass as much as possible before it ends 2/28/2022. I'll probably stick to domestic air travels until next year anyway because of the COVID restrictions so the SW companion pass should come in handy. Then next year I'll cancel this card before renewal as I plan to do lot of international travel next year so SW card will be pretty much worthless to me.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I got an email from Chase they approved my Southwest card for $13k+ line. But they didn't grant me additional credit but just reallocated and took some from my existing line. I have Chase Freedom Unlimited with almost $40k line and they took $13k+ from that card for the new Southwest card. This is the second Chase card in a row where they took some of the credit line from my existing cards for the new card. They did that when I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve as well. I guess this is Chase way of telling me they think I have enough credit with them, and they're uncomfortable granting me more without financial review of my docs like bank statements and tax records. That's fair. I don't bank with Chase so they don't know anything about me other than the info I put on my credit card application and my credit report.

I'm going to try to use this SW companion pass as much as possible before it ends 2/28/2022. I'll probably stick to domestic air travels until next year anyway because of the COVID restrictions so the SW companion pass should come in handy. Then next year I'll cancel this card before renewal as I plan to do lot of international travel next year so SW card will be pretty much worthless to me.
Not sure where you're located, but SW does fly some short leg international flights and Hawaii so the companion pass can absolutely get you to some beautiful places.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

View attachment 40940

wait, did you just say that you're circling back to something? :D

• Haha
Reactions: manly

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Not sure where you're located, but SW does fly some short leg international flights and Hawaii so the companion pass can absolutely get you to some beautiful places.
Definitely. SW flies to some places in the Caribbean and Mexico so that's definitely on my radar. But I don't think they fly to Hawaii from Atlanta yet. I think that's only for flights out of the West right now.

But there's lot of the US I haven't seen. I'll be happy just to travel the US. My wife and I are getting our second shot of the covid vaccine this week so we'll be good to travel soon. I'm going to try to get my daughter signed up for Pfizer vaccine so we can start traveling as a family again.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I will leave this here. American Express could revamp its Platinum card and it is not good for the consumer.

It is getting a bit harder to keep the card as I don't like the monthly credit chasing. That said I re-checked and replicating the medical evacuation coverage would cost ~$400 annually so that does cover a chunk of the annual fee for us and I do think the $200 credit for a prepaid hotel booking could generally be useful. As for the lounge access I'm considering finally forking over another $175 for an authorized user. Takes care of the guest access problem for us, has an enrollment offer of 20,000 MR points, likely grants the CLEAR access credit along with additional Amex offers but we'll see

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Ya Platinum is becoming harder to justify though I still manage to gdt the value back.

Just cleared out my Chase points booking 4x business class tickets on Emirates to Dubai and then onto the Maldives in December. Now to rebuild the stockpile. That was a 900,000 point hit though about $40k in flights otherwise.

• Wow
Reactions: zinfamous
Nov 8, 2012
There's also talks of Amex plat tossing on some more benefits but bumping the annual fee to 600 or 700 or something.

Unless the benefits really kick ass I'll have a hard time renewing AF next year and might just have to close it.

Though I'm due for bartering with them to reduce the annual fee since I paid in full this last year, so maybe I'll take another year if they cut the AF in half.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ya Platinum is becoming harder to justify though I still manage to gdt the value back.

Just cleared out my Chase points booking 4x business class tickets on Emirates to Dubai and then onto the Maldives in December. Now to rebuild the stockpile. That was a 900,000 point hit though about $40k in flights otherwise.
You have a business? How the hell you get that many points? Damn would love to fly to Maldives on an airline like that in first class lol.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
You have a business? How the hell you get that many points? Damn would love to fly to Maldives on an airline like that in first class lol.

I have my own law firm. There are a lot of litigation-related expenses on an annual basis.

Reactions: purbeast0

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
FYI gents, There is a new Ink card out, the Ink Unlimited. It has a high spend requirement ($7500 in 3 months) to get the bonus, but will return 75,000 UR points (as long as you have a UR card!), has no annual fee, and has 12 mo 0% interest. Not a bad card in general either, 1.5% cash back on all purchases. I looked at the numbers and for my business this card has better payback than the ink preferred and since I have other UR cards I can transfer to get the benefits of my CSR redemptions.

Nov 8, 2012
I went out and applied for the new promo for Chase Sapphire Preferred.

80k UR points for $4k spend in 3 months
1st annual fee waived IF you apply in-branch (sucks, but worth it).

Last 2 years my churning game has been so down that I'm well below 5/24 for both me and wife. Time to ramp those numbers up this year.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Question about how to use Southwest Airlines companion pass. I got my free companion pass from opening Chase Southwest card. So how do I use the companion pass? Do I just book 2 tickets like normal on Southwest website, pay for 2, and they then credit me back 1 ticket price? There's not really explanation how to use this companion pass.

It's too bad current high car rental prices will prevent me from flying to various US cities. Kind of makes this companion pass less useful since Southwest mainly flies in the US.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Question about how to use Southwest Airlines companion pass. I got my free companion pass from opening Chase Southwest card. So how do I use the companion pass? Do I just book 2 tickets like normal on Southwest website, pay for 2, and they then credit me back 1 ticket price? There's not really explanation how to use this companion pass.

It's too bad current high car rental prices will prevent me from flying to various US cities. Kind of makes this companion pass less useful since Southwest mainly flies in the US.
You need to setup your companion in your Southwest account. I don't remember exactly where that is under "My Account" but its always been pretty visible. Make sure you add their TSA pre-check info if they have that otherwise you'll have to manually enter it every time or they might not get pre-check. Once you do that book a ticket for just yourself. As soon as you book your ticket you'll get a confirmation screen with your booking reference number and a small "Add companion" link in the lower right. It'll autofill out pretty much everything else for you so you just put in your payment info for the taxes and fees ($5.10 per domestic direction. International is more based on whatever fees international destinations charge) and you're all set

Reactions: ponyo

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

Do you ever use Turo? I use them frequently and have always had good luck with the cars I've rented from people. Plus many times they will deliver to the airport or leave it in long term parking which can be easier and quicker than going through a rental agency.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You need to setup your companion in your Southwest account. I don't remember exactly where that is under "My Account" but its always been pretty visible. Make sure you add their TSA pre-check info if they have that otherwise you'll have to manually enter it every time or they might not get pre-check. Once you do that book a ticket for just yourself. As soon as you book your ticket you'll get a confirmation screen with your booking reference number and a small "Add companion" link in the lower right. It'll autofill out pretty much everything else for you so you just put in your payment info for the taxes and fees ($5.10 per domestic direction. International is more based on whatever fees international destinations charge) and you're all set
Ok. That seems simple enough. Thanks for the info! I found couple interesting fares to Hawaii and Costa Rica I might book but was confused how to use it.

Do you ever use Turo? I use them frequently and have always had good luck with the cars I've rented from people. Plus many times they will deliver to the airport or leave it in long term parking which can be easier and quicker than going through a rental agency.
Heard of Turo but never really looked at it. But I might give it a shot because US car rental rates are crazy stupid right now.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Ok. That seems simple enough. Thanks for the info! I found couple interesting fares to Hawaii and Costa Rica I might book but was confused how to use it.
You're welcome. I remembered one other quirk: If your companion has a Southwest account there is some level of linking between the companion you setup in your account and your companions SW account (Or maybe I entered her RR# when I booked her flight). This bit us for our trip to Aruba - my wife's companion setup in my account matched her passport information which has her middle name. She had created a Southwest account long before they flew internationally and had never entered her middle name for her account. When we went to checkin she couldn't so we had to see someone at the SW counter at the airport and they said her information didn't match her passport as it was missing her middle name. I'm a bit obsessive about that for this very reason and checked and her information was correctly setup in my account. At first they couldn't figure out what happened but, fortunately, there was an experienced agent who got called over who had seen this exact situation before. She was able to fix it for us but it took 45min and it likely would have been even longer if she hadn't been around. Oddly enough we'd done other international trips on Southwest and it hadn't been a problem then but moral of the story is to check your companion's SW account information and make sure it matches the passport info

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just booked ticket for two to Seoul, South Korea, for September. So excited to be able to go to Korea again! Korean embassy in Atlanta can't give me direct answer about the exemption of the mandatory 14 day quarantine that's supposed to take effect July 1 for vaccinated travelers, so I'm kind of booking this airfare blind without having the paperwork approval. But I trust they'll have the process figured out by September. I'm planning to fly to Jeju Island from Seoul and already booked my rental car and hotel on Jeju Island. I'm going to try to eat at this famous Tonkatsu restaurant on Jeju Island. It's one of the hardest restaurant reservation to get in the world. People used to camp out for days in line to get a table precovid. But due to covid, it's now online reservation for next day only. Reservation open up at 8 pm the night before and sells out in less than a minute. I'm going to try my best to get one of the reservation. The hotel I booked is right next to the restaurant and almost impossible to book as well. But I got lucky and was able to book the final room. It's a 2 star hotel catering to common people and foodies. So I'm going to fly halfway around the world at a chance to eat fried pork cutlet. :). Can't wait.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Got mail notice that annual fee for the CSR card will be $550 this next cycle. It’s getting tough to justify keeping the card being an occasional traveler. Is switching to Amex worth it?