PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Great if you travel a lot. If not, meh.. not so much based on your post.

Even if you do not travel at all, you still can make decent money from this card and the likes.

Let see, 100K UR points at least = $1,000 GC/Visa/Mastercard prepaid + $300 airline GC = $1,300 - $450 annual fee = $850 profit. Even if you have to spend some money to make the $4,000 spending within 3 months and sell the prepaid cards/GCs with a loss, you still make several hundreds dollars. Then cancel the card before the next annual fee.

Not too shabby and not meh in my book.

Last edited:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Damn you OP. I was hemming and hawing about getting this card for the past year. Quick painless approval since I do my banking with Chase.
Guess the United, Marriott and American cc's will get put off to the side for 2017 and this get used.
Not a fan of the $75 authorized user fee. Was going to get one for my wife but feel that fee is just asinine.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Damn you OP. I was hemming and hawing about getting this card for the past year. Quick painless approval since I do my banking with Chase.
Guess the United, Marriott and American cc's will get put off to the side for 2017 and this get used.
Not a fan of the $75 authorized user fee. Was going to get one for my wife but feel that fee is just asinine.
That's why you both get one, individually :).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Finally got around to getting this. Have some big purchases coming up that will meet the spend right when I receive it.

This plus some AMEX Membership Rewards points that we don't have a great use for should get us to HK and Australia on Singapore Airlines in first class later this year.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
It's irrelevant for the first year. Anyone that qualifies for this card should get one, unless you simply don't want a free $1,150+. After that cancel before the anniversary.

is the $450 waived the first year?

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
lol that 100k points could have probably flown you internationally in business class

So? It's an experience thing. I never said I used it sensibly. Also got my $300 credit for travel last year, and will again this year.

I'll probably keep the card long term. The $150/year fee (the $300 will be used easily every year) is not much worse than the $99/year chase card I replaced it with. I already got back ~$250 in price matching through the card as well (though that's not exclusive to high yearly fee cards). Buy item at rock solid reputation store. Produce lower price from online retailer that while legitimate, is also kind of sleazy, and isn't on approved pricematch list for the store you purchased from. Pricematch via CC benefit. Eat away at that yearly fee even more.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Glad I saw this post, was going to wait to get it. I just got the Sapphire Preferred about 9 months ago, right before the Reserve came out.

Since you get $300 back from travel (easy for me, as I fly to see my family 2-3 times a year), the real cost is $150 a year (compared to $100 for the Preferred). Rewards points being worth 20% more easily pays for the rest.

Another great benefit from the Sapphire cards is getting reimbursed on anything you buy if the price drops afterwards. A lot of mid/high end cards have it, but the time period for the Sapphire is pretty generous.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
i wonder if paying someone with paypal would work...
It would, but the recipient will pay a fee if you do it as a seller/buyer, or you will pay the fee if you do friends/family gift payment with credit. (2.9% +.30 cents/transaction).So you can't just send yourself $4k without at least $116 in fees from my understanding.

It's far cheaper to just buy 8 VISA gift cards at $500 a pop, for a total of $55.60 + small shipping fee. I think that method is the easiest, and you'll need less gift cards as long as you put some normal monthly expenses on the card during the 3 months.

Look here for other ideas: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/09/13/manufacturing-spend-still-works-september-2016/

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
You can still get the 100K bonus if you apply at a Chase Bank though March 12... the Jan 12 deadline is for online applications...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Damnit I just applied and got the ...
I thought I'd be automatically accepted since the last one I did I got 32k line of credit and am at an 829 score right now. I should have lowered my line of credit on my last card from 32k down to like 5k or so though, I did that before and heard that can help too. I hope if I get it in the next 7-10 days that I still get the 100k bonus points and not 50k points.

You can still get the 100k bonus if you at a Chase bank location through March 12. the 50k drop is only for online applications...

From the article in the OP:

If that deadline is too soon for you to make the leap, customers can apply for the credit card – in person – at a Chase bank location until March 12.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Just received my card yesterday. Put $1500 on it buying random stuff, then tried to buy a $5000 handgun with it. But the shop owner said he'd give me a discount if I paid in cash, which I couldn't resist. Guess I'll have to keep shopping for other stuff.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
hmm, if i could think of a way to rack up 4$k in 3 months i'd apply

but i don't think i can rack up that kind of spending even if i tried.

Pay for all your utilities, phone, cable, car insurance, car note, dinning (additional 3x points), gas and everything. Ultimately its only $1,333 a month. Stop using your debt card and pay for everything with the CC. Then pay it off each month. It's do able if you have the income, but if you don't, you don't even need to consider applying for the card.

One thing to note is that all those purchases that you are making to get to 4k, you are also generating points on!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Love my CSR, the best credit card in my wallet.

I applied a few months ago and have received my free Priority Pass, 100k points and $300 travel credits for 2016 and 2017.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Love my CSR, the best credit card in my wallet.

I applied a few months ago and have received my free Priority Pass, 100k points and $300 travel credits for 2016 and 2017.

Nice, I went far enough to get the Freedom Unlimited for all other purchases over 4k and dinning, to put on that card for the 1.5. then you can transfer those points and use them for travel at 1.5! So it works out to 2.25 points per dollar. I highly recommend the Global Entry over the TSA pass. The GE includes the TSA pre for the $100 pass. Do note that it is harder to get the Global Entry and requires an interview, but if you travel international, its a no brainer.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I temporary thawed my credit to get this card. I didn't know which credit bureau Chase would pull so I thawed all 3 just to be safe. So this card costed me $9. Now I have to figure out what to do with my Sapphire Preferred card. I don't know if I should cancel CSP or downgrade the card to something else once the Reserve arrive. I already have Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Amazon. I don't see another attractive free card I can downgrade to.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I temporary thawed my credit to get this card. I didn't know which credit bureau Chase would pull so I thawed all 3 just to be safe. So this card costed me $9. Now I have to figure out what to do with my Sapphire Preferred card. I don't know if I should cancel CSP or downgrade the card to something else once the Reserve arrive. I already have Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Amazon. I don't see another attractive free card I can downgrade to.
I must be a noob. I've never heard of thawing a credit card line of credit. I only carry three cards and have had them for years. So I didn't have any problems with the 5/24 rule or credit utilization.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I must be a noob. I've never heard of thawing a credit card line of credit. I only carry three cards and have had them for years. So I didn't have any problems with the 5/24 rule or credit utilization.

I froze my credit file at all 3 credit bureaus for security reason long time ago. So if I want to apply for new credit, I have to temporarily remove the security freeze or else the lenders and banks can't check and pull my credit. Pretty much no one can while the security freeze is active. Since I'm debt free with paid off house, cars, and have all the existing credit cards and lines I need, I rarely apply for new credit. So it takes really special offer for me to go through the hassle of unfreezing my credit to apply for a card. It's the main reason I waited so long to apply for the Reserve card. But this deadline for 100k bonus was enough to get me to go through the hassle of thawing my credit to apply.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
That is awesome. I still have my house and one car that isn't paid off, but I've never heard of, or thought to freeze my credit. I check it pretty regularly though, so I'm not overly concerned. But great job and I hope you enjoy the rewards of the card. That's why I went full out and got the freedom unlimited card to help with my goal. Used wisely, its going to afford the wife and I another mostly free trip to Asia!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Assuming you've had your CSP for at least 1 year, downgrade it to a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, you can have more than one. DO NOT CLOSE IT!

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/sapphire-preferred-with-reserve/

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/4zkm4t/csp_refresh/d6wz58g/

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002