PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Oh, I get it. YMMV because:

Plastiq seems to list these payments as "mortgage/rent", but because the guy that made that original post that you linked was paying a mortgage, but for an AirBnB property, Plastiq included "AirBnB" on the payment information? It seems that CSR coded the "AirBnB" note as travel, as it would do so normally. Others have not been successful with getting 3x travel points on their regular, primary home mortgage payments.

I think this is probably what is happening.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The math works and I'm semi-retarded for dismissing it. My apologies to RossMAN as it's a solid deal. I just have aversion to paying any kind of fees. It took me long time to accept credit cards with annual fees can be worth it.

You have to spend money to make money. For example, I did have to pay $450 fee for CSR and AE Platinum but gain much more from trips to Las Vegas and Asia and other benefits.

As long as you have a net positive, then it is good to go. That's how I go with all of my money/financial decisions.

I am planning to get the new 2.5% cash back credit card soon. More money into my pocket with the same amount of work/spending. Winnar.

Last edited:

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I wonder if they offer it for a refi--can't imagine they wouldn't.

either way...seems like a terrible idea, this idea.

Your comment doesn't make sense from either perspective. They are incentivizing their mortgage products and people who were shopping for a mortgage now have a potentially good reason to use Chase as long as the mortgage is competitive. None of that is a terrible idea.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Bummer, I just refinanced or would at least see if they would match the low rate/no fee I got from another lender.

As a side note, I just spent my 100k UR points for 5 round trip tickets to Cancun this summer. Not bad for a trade of $450 fee for $1600 worth of airfare and will be hitting the airport lounge as well. That qualifies as best deal of the year.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Your comment doesn't make sense from either perspective. They are incentivizing their mortgage products and people who were shopping for a mortgage now have a potentially good reason to use Chase as long as the mortgage is competitive. None of that is a terrible idea.

Yes, if the mortgage is competitive, I get that. But I wonder how many rewards points hounds will overweight the rewards points here as an option on a Chase mortgage if the rates aren't going to be as good as competitors. I assume that people who are heavily invested in points are a bit more savvy, but something like a mortgage is a serious life decision where rewards points bonuses ($1600 in travel here, while a great thing, is imo not really worth deciding vs cost of interest points to reduce mortgage rates or whatever). Yeah, it all depends on the situation for each person and it is nice to have a little option like this, but it strikes me as a bit of a trap.

The other thing is that millenials that stack travel points and obsessively shuffle rewards cards tend to have a different outlook on life and ownership: many of them do this because they aren't interested in having roots. Maybe this will encourage them, and I know that is what Chase is claiming, but I think they understatement the commitment that their target market has to living differently.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Bummer, I just refinanced or would at least see if they would match the low rate/no fee I got from another lender.

As a side note, I just spent my 100k UR points for 5 round trip tickets to Cancun this summer. Not bad for a trade of $450 fee for $1600 worth of airfare and will be hitting the airport lounge as well. That qualifies as best deal of the year.
Just FYI you have to pay to bring other people into the lounge with you, unless they also have the lounge pass.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Yes, if the mortgage is competitive, I get that. But I wonder how many rewards points hounds will overweight the rewards points here as an option on a Chase mortgage if the rates aren't going to be as good as competitors. I assume that people who are heavily invested in points are a bit more savvy, but something like a mortgage is a serious life decision where rewards points bonuses ($1600 in travel here, while a great thing, is imo not really worth deciding vs cost of interest points to reduce mortgage rates or whatever). Yeah, it all depends on the situation for each person and it is nice to have a little option like this, but it strikes me as a bit of a trap.

The other thing is that millenials that stack travel points and obsessively shuffle rewards cards tend to have a different outlook on life and ownership: many of them do this because they aren't interested in having roots. Maybe this will encourage them, and I know that is what Chase is claiming, but I think they understatement the commitment that their target market has to living differently.

It's not more of a trap than any other incentive. Dumb people will be dumb and there's nothing anyone can do about that. Chase obviously did the math and realized paying a few dollars in rewards points will earn them untold millions in interest, so I doubt their mortgages will be any more or less competitive than they already were. I've had four mortgages through Chase and I would gladly use them again if it made sense, but not specifically because of the points. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same way. It's not like they laid a landmine out for unsuspecting people. I understand what you're saying and we're probably on the same page, but I took exception to calling this a terrible idea because it's not really good or bad in the long run. It's just an incentive.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's not more of a trap than any other incentive. Dumb people will be dumb and there's nothing anyone can do about that. Chase obviously did the math and realized paying a few dollars in rewards points will earn them untold millions in interest, so I doubt their mortgages will be any more or less competitive than they already were. I've had four mortgages through Chase and I would gladly use them again if it made sense, but not specifically because of the points. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same way. It's not like they laid a landmine out for unsuspecting people. I understand what you're saying and we're probably on the same page, but I took exception to calling this a terrible idea because it's not really good or bad in the long run. It's just an incentive.

Right, my first response was low on details. I think we are on the same page but I guess I felt the need to be short in verbiage with that first post of mine, if not reflective of my thinking. :D

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

From the article, Chase's rate is competitive. If I want a mortgage right now, I would look around and then ask Chase to match the rate/term of the best mortgage. If Chase can do it, great, if not, I won't use them.

Well, technically, you "only" pay $150 or less because of the annual $300 travel credit plus $100 Global Entry and other goodies from the CSR card.

The CSR card paid for my trip to Las Vegas (round trip air plus hotel) and another trans-Pacific round trip (round trip air only), and I still have about 11K UR points left (could have another extra 10K UR points since cost of the trip out of the country dropped recently). Not too shabby.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The lounge pass is good for everyone in the party.
Not when I used it at the lounge in Aruba. It even says on their website that guests have to pay.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/member-support/faq

You're welcome to take guests with you into the lounge. You'll be charged a per-person, per-visit fee for guests. The number of accompanying guests allowed varies between lounges, so please check before your visit, using our website prioritypass.com/lounges or the Priority Pass app.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Not when I used it at the lounge in Aruba. It even says on their website that guests have to pay.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/member-support/faq
I used it in Aruba as well. Everyone in my party got in for free. Priority pass select has different terms and conditions for different cards. American Express Platinum is only good for the cardmember and additional guest have to pay $27 each. Chase Sapphire Reserve is free for everyone in the party and does not charge extra for additional guest. I read the terms and conditions.

You can google it and plenty of sources will confirm additional guests are free on the Reserve. Here's Chase confirming it on Twitter. https://mobile.twitter.com/ChaseSupport/status/768884287261245440

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Oooh, I like that detail on Reserve vs Platinum. I got the card in January with the 100k points and I've already gone past the $450 debt with the benefits. Will probably have a gangbuster year in benefits. I hope it all works out in future years too.

I was able to dump my United card after getting this one. Now just down to the Reserve and Amazon Prime. I don't need any other cards.

As for millennials and mortgages, you really have to have a spreadsheet on this one to see all the long term costs. The rate may be nearly equitable with other companies but while you get points, they really don't cost the bank that much either. They'd rather give you 100k in their points if someone would take a point in the mortgage loan. Which over 30 years, is a hell of a lot more money.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Oooh, I like that detail on Reserve vs Platinum. I got the card in January with the 100k points and I've already gone past the $450 debt with the benefits. Will probably have a gangbuster year in benefits. I hope it all works out in future years too.

I was able to dump my United card after getting this one. Now just down to the Reserve and Amazon Prime. I don't need any other cards.

As for millennials and mortgages, you really have to have a spreadsheet on this one to see all the long term costs. The rate may be nearly equitable with other companies but while you get points, they really don't cost the bank that much either. They'd rather give you 100k in their points if someone would take a point in the mortgage loan. Which over 30 years, is a hell of a lot more money.

You should add a Freedom Unlimited to the collection. Or if you haven't already done it get a Sapphire Preferred, meet the bonus spend, then convert to regular Sapphire, then to Freedom Unlimited the next day. Effective 2.25% on everything that doesn't fall under a Reserve bonus category when used in conjunction with the Reserve.

But yes, the Reserve + Amazon Prime + Freedom Unlimited pretty well covers everything I need. They are getting nearly 100% of my card spend now.

Viper GTS

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I used it in Aruba as well. Everyone in my party got in for free. Priority pass select has different terms and conditions for different cards. American Express Platinum is only good for the cardmember and additional guest have to pay $27 each. Chase Sapphire Reserve is free for everyone in the party and does not charge extra for additional guest. I read the terms and conditions.

You can google it and plenty of sources will confirm additional guests are free on the Reserve. Here's Chase confirming it on Twitter. https://mobile.twitter.com/ChaseSupport/status/768884287261245440
Well that is interesting because I got mine from the reserve card too...

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Priority Pass lounges are independently owned lounges that have varying rules of entry:

The cardholder accepts that the Priority Pass Group of companies has no control over the lounge operator’s decision whether to admit any cardholder, the number of people allowed in any lounge at any time, facilities offered, the opening/closing times, the length of time which cardholders may spend in the lounge and any charges payable for extended lounge visits or the personnel employed by the lounges.

There have been other reports of some lounges requiring guests to be paid for even for the CSR card or denying guests and even the card holder due to crowds. Its unclear whether that is due to a staff misunderstanding of the less common CSR lounge access options, wrong PP card provided (My free guest and $27 guest cards look identical), deliberate avoidance of the rules or twisting some part of the owner's agreement into a gray area or a mix

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Priority Pass lounges are independently owned lounges that have varying rules of entry:

There have been other reports of some lounges requiring guests to be paid for even for the CSR card or denying guests and even the card holder due to crowds. Its unclear whether that is due to a staff misunderstanding of the less common CSR lounge access options, wrong PP card provided (My free guest and $27 guest cards look identical), deliberate avoidance of the rules or twisting some part of the owner's agreement into a gray area or a mix

I wasn't allowed into a lounge as an arrival because they were too busy.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
The Priority Pass (lounge access) is practically worthless. So many people have credit cards with the pass that the lounges are getting crowded and are denying access to Priority Pass holders. In fact if you read the agreement, they do not guarantee that you can access a single lounge - the individual lounges can deny pass holders.

Alaska airlines is dropping out so you won't have access to their lounges. They already regularly deny Priority Pass at PDX and SEA. That is the only lounge at PDX. Two of the four listed Priority Pass lounges at SEA are Alaska, and the third lounge is denying priority pass holders now as well, leaving only one crappy lounge at the far end if the airport available (the seat cushions were ripped and stuffing coming out).

The only priority pass lounge in Minneapolis is dropping from the program, leaving no alternatives.

At LAX, the only lounge (aside from the Alaska lounge that's dropping the program) is the KAL lounge that is restricting the time of day priority pass holders cam use it.

Denver and Detroit never had priority pass lounges, and I'm confident the list of available US lounges will shrink.

The priority pass isn't what pushed me to get the card, but I thought it would be a nice perk. Now I know it's more of a gimmick. I feel sorry for the people who pay a few hundred dollars a year for the worthless pass.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/03/19/denied-access-to-priority-pass-lounge/

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
The Priority Pass (lounge access) is practically worthless. So many people have credit cards with the pass that the lounges are getting crowded and are denying access to Priority Pass holders. In fact if you read the agreement, they do not guarantee that you can access a single lounge - the individual lounges can deny pass holders.

Alaska airlines is dropping out so you won't have access to their lounges. They already regularly deny Priority Pass at PDX and SEA. That is the only lounge at PDX. Two of the four listed Priority Pass lounges at SEA are Alaska, and the third lounge is denying priority pass holders now as well, leaving only one crappy lounge at the far end if the airport available (the seat cushions were ripped and stuffing coming out).

The only priority pass lounge in Minneapolis is dropping from the program, leaving no alternatives.

At LAX, the only lounge (aside from the Alaska lounge that's dropping the program) is the KAL lounge that is restricting the time of day priority pass holders cam use it.

Denver and Detroit never had priority pass lounges, and I'm confident the list of available US lounges will shrink.

The priority pass isn't what pushed me to get the card, but I thought it would be a nice perk. Now I know it's more of a gimmick. I feel sorry for the people who pay a few hundred dollars a year for the worthless pass.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/03/19/denied-access-to-priority-pass-lounge/

It might suck domestically but there are a lot of good Priority Pass lounges internationally.

And the KAL lounge in LAX let me in outside of their times.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It might suck domestically but there are a lot of good Priority Pass lounges internationally.

Agreed. I've even been pleasantly surprised by some of the ones domestically - at least in relation to their domestic legacy carrier brethren.

I do wish DTW got one though since its my home airport. I have hopes for one as Alaska and Jet Blue have been increasing their flights here and it would make a pretty good connection point for Alaska to its new East Coast network via Virgin.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
I have a 3.5 hour layover in SEA in July. Not too excited about dealing with Priority Pass Issues. I have a Citi Prestige Card and a Chase Reserve. Don't know which one I will keep. Citi Prestige has better rental car memberships and the 3 nights/4th Free benefit. However, it does not have primary rental insurance like Reserve.

I rarely stay in Hotels since Airbnb has taken over. If airbnb was part of Citi it would be a no brainer.

Tough call...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Agreed. Domestic sucks, international is definitely better.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/10-best-international-priority-pass-lounges/

I have a 3.5 hour layover in SEA in July. Not too excited about dealing with Priority Pass Issues. I have a Citi Prestige Card and a Chase Reserve. Don't know which one I will keep. Citi Prestige has better rental car memberships and the 3 nights/4th Free benefit. However, it does not have primary rental insurance like Reserve.

I rarely stay in Hotels since Airbnb has taken over. If airbnb was part of Citi it would be a no brainer.

Tough call...

I don't have a Citi Prestige but love my Chase Sapphire Reserve and think it's the better of the two cards.

Do you also have a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? If you don't, why not? No annual fee and thanks to 5% rotating categories you can easily rack up the UR points:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/03/14/best-credit-card-pairs/

As you pointed out CSR has primary rental car insurance and the $300 annual travel credit is incredibly easy to earn, simple local mass transit bus/train tickets works for my wife and I. This makes our net annual fee only $150 which is a bargain for the benefits, UR earning potential, UR transfer partners, etc.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-reserve-vs-citi-prestige-card/
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017...-citi-prestige-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve.html
https://www.valuepenguin.com/chase-sapphire-reserve-vs-amex-platinum-vs-citi-prestige
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/battle-of-the-premium-travel-rewards-cards/
http://www.johnnyjet.com/comparing-citi-prestige-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve-vs-amex-platinum/

Finally if you're switching from hotels (Citi) to AirBNB (Chase) it codes as travel so you're earning 3x and saving $$$.