PSA -Sapphire Reserve with 100K points bonus, LAST CHANCE is Saturday 3/11 at branch...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
You can't have opened more than 5 cards in the past 24 months or it's an automatic denial.

I used to open a ton of 0% interest cards to temporarily cover tuition while I waited for work to reimburse me after the semester. They're finally getting old enough to get me clear of the rule ...

Makes sense I guess. I want to get this, as I do travel quite a bit ..... but I've never used the chase travel site. I always book directly through the airline in case shit hits the fan - have to cancel, have to change, etc. How does something like that work with Chase? Anyone have experience? I could cancel my Amazon card and get one of these in its place.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
from what i hear, this card is a must have if you travel a lot. Not so good if you don't. Is that true?
It's irrelevant for the first year. Anyone that qualifies for this card should get one, unless you simply don't want a free $1,150+. After that cancel before the anniversary.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Makes sense I guess. I want to get this, as I do travel quite a bit ..... but I've never used the chase travel site. I always book directly through the airline in case shit hits the fan - have to cancel, have to change, etc. How does something like that work with Chase? Anyone have experience? I could cancel my Amazon card and get one of these in its place.

Don't quote me on this but I think you can still book through the airline with your Chase card and then go to ultimate rewards to redeem against the purchase. Travel purchases should have a 20% point discount.

tnt118

Jan 17, 2010
I think I'm going to finally jump on this now.

Question: I assume the $450 annual fee is charged upfront when you get the card. Does that mean you also get the $300 travel reimbursement credit right away as well?

The reimbursement is a 1-to-1 credit as you incur travel expenses. If you don't have $300+ in travel expenses in a year you lose the credit difference.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Don't quote me on this but I think you can still book through the airline with your Chase card and then go to ultimate rewards to redeem against the purchase. Travel purchases should have a 20% point discount.

I'd love to have that confirmed... but the other problem is this:

Airline Program Transfer Ratio
FlyingBlue AirFrance/KLM 1:1
British Airways Executive Club 1:1
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer 1:1
United Airlines MileagePlus 1:1
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards 1:1
Korean Air SKYPASS 1:1
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club 1:1

No Delta? No Jetblue? No American? Those are probably the biggest three I use in a 'normal' year.

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/reviews/chase-sapphire-reserve-card/

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Just get the Reserve, buy a $300 gift card directly from your airline of choice now and Jan 1 2018. Use the points on another airline this year, or just get $1,000 in Amazon gift cards etc. Then close the card on 1/4/2018.

My wife got the AAdvantage card just for the 50k points. She's taking a round trip first class trip to LA in a couple weeks for free, and that card will never be used again. Why not take the free shit CCs hand out?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Some of the best redemption options aren't even the airlines. Hyatt is the real win. My daily driver is the CSP and I've racked up a ton of UR points I'm waiting to burn but adding to the pile is always welcome. I'd really like to get this one while it's 100k bonus but that 5/24 lock for another month is a killer so I may just say screw it and give it a shot tomorrow.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Damn, wife got denied after calling the reconsideration line :(. Too many open accounts or something.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Another benefit is if you have the popular Freedom card, you get the 5% cashback categories. You can then transfer those to your Reserve card, making them worth even more than the 5%.

Yeah that's likely the 5/24 we're talking about.
Possibly. We do our finances separate, but she isn't savvy with this stuff at all. Wanted her to call while I was there, see if maybe she could close existing accounts etc. if needed, but she went ahead and did it on her own and failed.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
hmm, if i could think of a way to rack up 4$k in 3 months i'd apply

but i don't think i can rack up that kind of spending even if i tried.

I used to rack up $4K+ in a single month as a full-time traveling consultant. I think the most I racked up in a week was closer to $3K.

Almost all reimbursable expenses. I uh, had something like 12 credit cards back then. And lots and lots of platinum statuses.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I have somewhere around 800k chase points. Trying to get the family to Hawaii in the summer first class but nothing cheap or reasonable during that time. That one trip would literally eat all 800k points. Not worth it to me.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I have somewhere around 800k chase points. Trying to get the family to Hawaii in the summer first class but nothing cheap or reasonable during that time. That one trip would literally eat all 800k points. Not worth it to me.

You might be able to get in the Andaz Maui for free though.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I applied just now, one day after the 5/24 rule expired for me by knocking off three cards, and was instantly approved! I was hoping they wouldn't deny me and say I have to wait for February or something for the rule to be satisfied. I'm already thinking about where to book these flights, thanks OP

Now to figure out how to spend $4k in 3 months when I'm wanting to spend less ... probably normal expenses plus a handful of prepaid visa or amex cards. Hopefully that will qualify ...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is there anywhere to do a quick check on if you are within the 5/24 limit or not? I am pretty sure I have only opened 3 or 4 in the past 2 years but I'm not positive. I got the 50k bonus points on my United card a month or two ago so it's time for a new card to get in the rotation. I think either way I could open one with my wife though as she hasn't had one open in a while.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Is there anywhere to do a quick check on if you are within the 5/24 limit or not? I am pretty sure I have only opened 3 or 4 in the past 2 years but I'm not positive. I got the 50k bonus points on my United card a month or two ago so it's time for a new card to get in the rotation. I think either way I could open one with my wife though as she hasn't had one open in a while.

I logged into creditkarma and looked at all my accounts ... sort by date and count.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I logged into creditkarma and looked at all my accounts ... sort by date and count.
Ah okay makes sense. I have some free credit report thing with Capital One I can probably do it on there too.

EDIT:

Actually it doesn't show it. I think I have opened 4 in the past 2 years - 2 Southwest cards to get companion pass, Chase Saphire, and the Chase United card.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
from what i hear, this card is a must have if you travel a lot. Not so good if you don't. Is that true?

Even light travel (a couple times a year) probably makes it worthwhile to keep long term. The travel category is so broad most people who don't think they travel will probably be able to fully utilize the $300 annual credit. Then you just need to be able to justify $150/year which $5k annually in restaurant spending will do even if you ignore all the other benefits (primary rental car insurance etc).

Viper GTS

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Damnit I just applied and got the ...

We need to review your application a little longer.

We'll let you know our decision in writing as soon as we can. If we approve your application, you'll receive your card in the mail in 7-10 business days. Please don't resubmit your application.

I thought I'd be automatically accepted since the last one I did I got 32k line of credit and am at an 829 score right now. I should have lowered my line of credit on my last card from 32k down to like 5k or so though, I did that before and heard that can help too. I hope if I get it in the next 7-10 days that I still get the 100k bonus points and not 50k points.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Damnit I just applied and got the ...

I thought I'd be automatically accepted since the last one I did I got 32k line of credit and am at an 829 score right now. I should have lowered my line of credit on my last card from 32k down to like 5k or so though, I did that before and heard that can help too. I hope if I get it in the next 7-10 days that I still get the 100k bonus points and not 50k points.

Is the 32k with Chase? You might try calling and asking about the reason -- I was reading that Chase will only extend so much total credit on their cards to any one individual and the 32k plus this card would potentially put you over. They might want you to shift some credit around, like you were saying, which you could do over the phone.

My other Chase accounts are only a Freedom with $3500 and Amazon.com with I think ~$3000, so the ridiculous credit limit they extended to me with this one went right through.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is the 32k with Chase? You might try calling and asking about the reason -- I was reading that Chase will only extend so much total credit on their cards to any one individual and the 32k plus this card would potentially put you over. They might want you to shift some credit around, like you were saying, which you could do over the phone.

My other Chase accounts are only a Freedom with $3500 and Amazon.com with I think ~$3000, so the ridiculous credit limit they extended to me with this one went right through.
Yeah the other 4 chase cards I have, I was extended 32k credit for all of them. Before I applied for the Saphire reserve I only had 2, and they both had 32k credit on them. I lowered it to 10k each. After I got the Saphire card, I got the United card. I don't think I lowered either of those cards from the 32k I was extended.

I plan on calling after I take my son to the doctors and just see what they say.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Love this card. Fiance and I used the bonus to book our honeymoon trip, can't wait :D.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Don't cash out because you only get $1,000 in cash. Do it by Chase portal and you can get over $1,500 worth of travel ( airfare, hotel, etc.). I was checking around and my 100,000 UR points could cover my round trip from US to Asia and back and then the round trip from southern US to Las Vegas and 1 week of hotel in LV. Don't forget the $100 credit for TSA precheck program, airport lounges around the world, primary car rental insurance, and on and on. My Platinum AE benefits were not as good as this card.

Great if you travel a lot. If not, meh.. not so much based on your post.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I blew my 100k points on a single night stay at a super expensive resort for a stay before a cruise.

Sensible? No.

Funny? Yes.