PSA: Role of the Executive Branch

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
While I was at the gym today, I saw a caption stating, "McCain Aide: He's no CEO" or something to that effect. The "reporter" followed up with, "If he can't run a company, how can he run the largest economy in the world?" I know that this topic has been covered, and I'm not planning on addressing it directly. It just drives me nuts that people really think the president is in charge of the economy.

The president doesn't run the economy. The president doesn't pass budgets. The president doesn't make laws. The president doesn't pass tax cuts. The president doesn't reform Medicare. The president doesn't decide whether we get nationalized healthcare. The president is not responsible for any of these things. The role of the executive branch in domestic affairs is to enforce the laws passed by the legislature.

What's the point of this weak rant? To point out perhaps the reason things suck politically right now: people want a king rather than a republican government. You ascribe all of the powers of the legislature and executive branch to one man. WHY? Are you too intellectually lazy to look at the congressmen and senators that you get to choose from and put some of the burden on them? Or is it that it's just that much easier to lump all of the blame on one guy because it makes for a good talking point? Buck up, take some personal responsibility for the idiots you elected, and understand the role of the various branches of government. There are infinitely many things that you can validly blame Bush/whatever president for - why fabricate new ones?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The CEO issue is nonsense. Dick Cheney is one of the worst people we've ever had in the White House, and he ran a big company (albeit mainly about obtaining government graft).

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The President is the Chief Executive of the United States government. "Enforcing laws" means managing the government.

You're confusing roles between a CEO and say the board of directors. A CEO isn't a dictator either. But the whole point of being leader is taking the blame when things goes wrong, whether they were your fault or not. Just like you would have taken the credit if things went right, your fault or not. If you can't do that, then you were never a good leader.

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000
The problem is the aide's quote was cut short. She said:

FIORINA: Well I don?t think John McCain could run a major corporation. I don?t think Barack Obama could run a major corporation. I don?t think Joe Biden could run a major corporation. But on the other hand, a major corporation is not the same as being the president or vice president of the United States. It is a fallacy to suggest that the country is like a company. So of course, to run a business, you have to have a lifetime of experience in business. But that?s not what Sarah Palin, John McCain, Joe Biden or Barack Obama are doing.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
The President is the Chief Executive of the United States government. "Enforcing laws" means managing the government.

You're confusing roles between a CEO and say the board of directors. A CEO isn't a dictator either. But the whole point of being leader is taking the blame when things goes wrong, whether they were your fault or not. Just like you would have taken the credit if things went right, your fault or not. If you can't do that, then you were never a good leader.
It shouldn't mean managing the government. That is simply more power that we've lumped on top of the true constitutional duties. The president should be one cog in the wheel, not the axle. The problem is that we want to ascribe blame for everything that happens, whether or not it's someone's fault. Not every action needs someone to blame.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Why is anyone even listening to Carly? It's not like she knows how to run a company either, judging from how poorly HP was run.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
What are you talking about? The annual federal budget is crafted by the White House and handed over to Congress. With the GOP in control for most of Bush's two terms, they simply rubber stamped the thing and moved on with other business.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
What are you talking about? The annual federal budget is crafted by the White House and handed over to Congress. With the GOP in control for most of Bush's two terms, they simply rubber stamped the thing and moved on with other business.
There is nothing in the Constitution saying that this is the case. Simply because it's the status quo doesn't mean that it's supposed to be that way. Congress passes the budget, plain and simple. Or not, since we haven't had one for a few years now.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
There is nothing in the Constitution saying that this is the case. Simply because it's the status quo doesn't mean that it's supposed to be that way. Congress passes the budget, plain and simple. Or not, since we haven't had one for a few years now.

But that's the way it works. You're also neglecting the role of the bully pulpit. The President is much more powerful than you think.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
But that's the way it works. You're also neglecting the role of the bully pulpit. The President is much more powerful than you think.
I know how powerful the president is. I just wish people could see that things need not be the way they are now. Try looking at how things should be rather than how they are.