PSA: Redbox raising dvd rental prices ($1.20/day) in near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
E-mail I just got:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Redbox is making an announcement about its prices today, and we want to make sure that you hear it from us first.

Starting on Monday, October 31, the daily rental charge for DVDs will change to $1.20 a day.* The price change is due to rising operating expenses, including new increases in debit card fees. Daily rental charges for Blu-ray™ Discs and video games won't change.** Additional-day charges for DVDs rented before 10/31 won't be affected, either.

In order to make the transition easier, Redbox will discount the first day of all online DVD rentals to $1.00 from 10/31 through 11/30. Additional rental days will be $1.20.***

If you have any questions, please visit redbox.com/pricechange. There, we've provided additional information.

This marks our first price change in more than eight years as we work hard to keep prices low for our customers.

Thank you,

Redbox"
[/FONT]
I have used Blockbuster Express (all of those free promo codes they constantly have out there) and often have had disks scratched so badly that they don't play properly in computer or dvd player.

That problem has rarely occurred with Redbox, at least for me.

It almost seems like Blockbuster Express is just a loss leader designed to hurt Redbox, rather than a legimate attempt to build a real business...

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
E-mail I just got:

I have used Blockbuster Express (all of those free promo codes they constantly have out there) and often have had disks scratched so badly that they don't play properly in computer or dvd player.

That probably has rarely occurred with Redbox.

It almost seems like Blockbuster Express is just a loss leader designed to hurt Redbox, rather than a legimate attempt to build a real business...

Murder is a legitimate strategy.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I get a free code about once a month on my grocery receipt. I'm guessing that 90% of the customers pitch their receipts without looking at them. As far as prices go, it's no big deal. I am not as big a cinema fan as my friends with entire rooms devoted to showing off their electronic hardware.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Not surprised, it won't affect my use of redbox. Their selection is not great but I do still use them at least once/week and have for a long time now. Only once had a disk, maybe twice at the most, that wouldn't play, btw.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
120% of $0 is still $0. Gotta love having those prepaid rebate cards - good for 2 free rentals each :D

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
This marks our first price change in more than eight years as we work hard to keep prices low for our customers.

Unless you live in one of their 8 "test markets" where they went to $1.50 each night. Fortunately that was an epic fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.