PSA: Plants vs Zombies 2 is now released for Android today!

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
News

Direct Google Play link

1370269194-x6-noscale.jpg

Off I go to play!

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The GP store says it's incompatible with my device. Surely it runs on a 2012 Nexus 7, right?

nikto

Jun 30, 2011
When I click install, it says for all of my devices that it is not available in my device's country.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Yeah, I got the incompatible message too. Seems like it might have something to do with location.

nikto

Jun 30, 2011

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Says my HTC One isn't compatible, I'd bring up Android and fragmentation, but I've been assured by numerous Phandroid's that fragmentation's 100% made up when it comes to Android.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Says my HTC One isn't compatible, I'd bring up Android and fragmentation, but I've been assured by numerous Phandroid's that fragmentation's 100% made up when it comes to Android.

It's not made up (but it's also not a huge deal), but this isn't a fragmentation issue. It's the dev explicitly limiting devices. It claims to not be compatible with my 2013 N7.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
OP needs to edit thread title, it has not launched for general release, just to a few countries.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Just curious, what's the reasoning behind not releasing an app worldwide at the same time?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
It's not made up (but it's also not a huge deal), but this isn't a fragmentation issue. It's the dev explicitly limiting devices. It claims to not be compatible with my 2013 N7.

So it only runs on select Android devices, but that's not fragmentation? Mind you I'm not accusing Google here as the problem, but the fact is this app is fragmented, as it won't install on a pretty high number of Android phones and tablets.

And seeing how this is one of the biggest games of the year, I'd say this is a huge deal, weather you consider it due to fragmentation or whatever reason.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It doesn't currently work with a Samsung Galaxy S3 OR a Galaxy Nexus 7?? Those are two of the most popular Android devices around.

EA's release manager must be smoking crack if they think that is acceptable. That would be like releasing a product on iOS does doesn't work with the iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini.

Edit: OK, I see. It's not out in the US yet. Why don't they just say that, instead of putting up this incompatibility BS?

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
So it only runs on select Android devices, but that's not fragmentation? Mind you I'm not accusing Google here as the problem, but the fact is this app is fragmented, as it won't install on a pretty high number of Android phones and tablets.

And seeing how this is one of the biggest games of the year, I'd say this is a huge deal, weather you consider it due to fragmentation or whatever reason.

Well, it turns out it's simply not available in the US right now. Geo-restrictions are not fragmentation.

For what it's worth, I have side-loaded it onto my N7 with no major issues whatsoever.

It can't be helped that certain devs restrict devices (see facebook home). That's not fragmentation in the sense that everyone talks about it. The App store is the same way. Infinity Blade only ran on the newest iPad and iPhone at its release, and the following games were similar.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It doesn't currently work with a Samsung Galaxy S3 OR a Galaxy Nexus 7?? Those are two of the most popular Android devices around.

EA's release manager must be smoking crack if they think that is acceptable. That would be like releasing a product on iOS does doesn't work with the iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini.

Edit: OK, I see. It's not out in the US yet. Why don't they just say that, instead of putting up this incompatibility BS?

If you look closely, it says "This item is not available in your device's country"

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm even mad about this. When I tried the iOS version of this game, the obnoxious ways they used to try to get you to purchase game upgrades were really annoying.

Perhaps the Android version is better about this, but I doubt it.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
When is release for US? Also why is this in PC rather than mobile? Are there PC with android now?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Looks like the US launch was today. Just installed on my 2012 Nexus 7 from the Play store.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Played a few levels. Those gravestones makes the early game dicey. The powers are just a gold sink, not sure if there is something else to do with gold though. Trouble with these games with powerups is either it makes the game easy or too hard without them.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Unless it's something funky with my HTC One, if you're going to play the game you should do it in airplane mode. I got a phone call and when I went back into the game it didn't pick up where I left off. Same thing when I got a text. Either the multitasking's broke, or it just does this on my phone. I was almost at the end of a tough level when a phone call killed all my progress.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm even mad about this. When I tried the iOS version of this game, the obnoxious ways they used to try to get you to purchase game upgrades were really annoying.

Perhaps the Android version is better about this, but I doubt it.

I'm done playing games that encourage a 'pay to win' attitude. I paid for Plants vs Zombies (for the game itself) and had a great time playing it. I won't be downloading this - and it appears that you're right, one of the first reviews complains that the app is free but somehow requires in game purchases to progress - and it's a shame, as I enjoy the gameplay.