PSA: ok, i cant take it anymore...it's LENS, not LENSE

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I see that word misspelled about 100 times a day. Even people who should know better can't seem to spell this word correctly. If you call someone on it they will try to tell you that that's just how English-speaking people in Europe spell it, and to ah heck off. If you call someone from Europe on it they will try to tell you that that's just how people in the USA spell it, and to ah heck off. The truth is that there never was a word "lense" for any kind of optical objective in the English language. Ever. There never was. What's sad is that so many people can't spell this word correctly that "lense" is now actually found in the Scrabble Dictionary (Webster's) as an accepted spelling. It's still not in the real dictionary though (OED).

There is a "lense" in the OED, but it's a verb meaning "to make lean" or "to become lean." There is no noun "lense". None.

The other thread tipped this rant off. I saw that and just couldn't take it anymore. I just had to get this off my chest so I could rest in peace. Thanks.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'm glad you brought this up! I sometimes lose sleep at night knowing there are people wondering around misspelling "lens." Thank you for clearing this up. I can now sleep easier at night. :)

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox
I don't see this often.... you must frequent photography forums.

Yeah, I hit a few of them everyday. I do what I can to mend this great evil. My signature on DPreview is "There's only one 'e' in 'lens'. Thanks."

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
if you are just trying to make fun of me, then screw you. if you are actually making a PSA, then nevermind.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
if you are just trying to make fun of me, then screw you. if you are actually making a PSA, then nevermind.

I'm not poking fun, this really causes me quite a bit of distress because I see it so often. It's like that John Carpenter movie "They Live" with Roddy Piper the wrestler, where they walk around with the glasses on and can see all the aliens, but everyone else is oblivious to them. That's what I feel like because I know the truth.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
I don't need any cookies, I'm eating pancakes:D

well dammit then...put that camera and lense to use and take some pics of those pancakes on a bunny's head!

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
I see that word misspelled about 100 times a day.

i don't think i've seen it spelled either way more than 100 times a month.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

I'm not poking fun, this really causes me quite a bit of distress because I see it so often. It's like that John Carpenter movie "They Live" with Roddy Piper the wrestler, where they walk around with the glasses on and can see all the aliens, but everyone else is oblivious to them. That's what I feel like because I know the truth.

hahahah ok surprised with a Z doesnt stress me out that much :)

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir
I don't need any cookies, I'm eating pancakes:D

well dammit then...put that camera and lense to use and take some pics of those pancakes on a bunny's head!

I would, but I do not have access to a rabbit, and I already ate the pancakes.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: fredtam
Its a variant and therefore acceptable.

One entry found for lens.
Main Entry: 1lens
Variant(s): also lense /'lenz/
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin lent-, lens, from Latin, lentil; from its shape

Get over it.

Yeah, I think I mentioned that it's now listed in the Scrabble Dictionary as accepted because so many people don't know how to spell it, but not in the real dictionary because it's not actually a word. Thanks for playing :p