PSA: Nexus Mod Manager 0.60.8 Not Working

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Public Service Announcement: Nexus Mod Manager 0.60.8 is an entirely different animal from earlier versions. Its authors have attempted to go the virtual build route pioneered by Mod Organizer, but judging from the response they failed woefully. Unfortunately I'm one of the idiots who assumed that the newest version would be safe to load and out of roughly a hundred discrete mods, only a handful actually loaded. Worse, the new version does not tell you that it is a revolutionary rather than evolutionary program update; it warns you of this only after uninstalling the old version, at which time your choices are yes (try to rebuild my mods), no (uninstall all my mods), and cancel (exit with nothing loaded.) I recommend "cancel", which allows you to reload the old NMM and (hopefully) rebuild your game. However, the old program will not be updated from this point forth, so it's either try to make this one work or move to a different mod manager for Fallout 4.

Here's the thread discussing the new version. http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12574/?page=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=3230524&pUp=1

And please, if it borks your installation, don't respond with death threats. This is a free program and the very worst it will do is waste a lot of your time spent loading other free programming and getting them to play nice together. Just think of it as a nice incentive to learn Mod Organizer. http://sourceforge.net/projects/modorganizer/

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for the information. I have used Nexus in the past...it was ok. I wonder if Mod Organizer is better.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Thanks for the information. I have used Nexus in the past...it was ok. I wonder if Mod Organizer is better.
I used NMM in the past because I only used mods from Nexus and that seemed like a logical choice. Granted, some mods don't play well with it and require FOMM or even manual installation, but that's true of any mod manager. Unfortunately I used it so long that I lost my fear of new code and simply assumed it would work properly.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Switched over to MO, and not looking back. Nexus was nice (easier to use than Wyre) but MO's virtual folder makes things 100% easier.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Actually it all started with 60.0

Been playing Skyrim for the last few weeks and 60.0 was the game changer. Switched over from just a managed log of the installs and overwrites to a whole new virtual drive caching system. MASSIVE difference and the performance changes are just UGH. It's really bad once you start getting several big mods installed into a game and decide to back one of those mods out. In some cases I've had to wait over 30 minutes for an uninstall to complete. This is on the system in my signature. On top of that, the disk drive space required is through the roof! You have like 4 copies now of every mod on your system. Which means since I have 20GB worth of mods, mostly the high resolution textures, on my drive I require 80GB of space to actually install them all. Which makes me use like 90GB of space just for skyrim!!!! It's insane!!! You can still manually download the older versions at least. But be prepared to nuke everything you have to roll back unless you want to wait for days to let the manager try to figure out how to roll it all back for you.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually it all started with 60.0

Been playing Skyrim for the last few weeks and 60.0 was the game changer. Switched over from just a managed log of the installs and overwrites to a whole new virtual drive caching system. MASSIVE difference and the performance changes are just UGH. It's really bad once you start getting several big mods installed into a game and decide to back one of those mods out. In some cases I've had to wait over 30 minutes for an uninstall to complete. This is on the system in my signature. On top of that, the disk drive space required is through the roof! You have like 4 copies now of every mod on your system. Which means since I have 20GB worth of mods, mostly the high resolution textures, on my drive I require 80GB of space to actually install them all. Which makes me use like 90GB of space just for skyrim!!!! It's insane!!! You can still manually download the older versions at least. But be prepared to nuke everything you have to roll back unless you want to wait for days to let the manager try to figure out how to roll it all back for you.
I really don't understand why they would release this when it is so not ready. It's now on 0.60.8 and it still works extremely poorly. Granted, it may one day work well - maybe even better than Mod Organizer - but I can't believe there will be many users by the time that happens.