PSA -- Mysterious vaping-related lung illnesses are spreading across the US. Doctors say these are the symptoms to watch out for.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Tobacco owns most of the vaping companies. Reynolds, Altria, Imperial. They are shifting their model and starting over where they did with cigarettes. Problem is they have been far more effective this go around. They have even had school outreach programs. Vaping reps going into schools.

the funny thing is how so many seem to be forgetting, maybe, that the first major lawsuits and publicity, against vaping, came from Big Tobacco, less than 10 years ago, when they didn't have their own product on the market. Of course, they were heavily into developing Juul and related devices and products, and lobbying for absolutely onerous regulation that was specifically designed to put the small independent companies out of business due to cost of licensing and approvals. Of course states started passing this stuff, and of course you started seeing this new marketing and new products moving into territory that was swallowing up those early companies.

I mean, it was out front and open when they were doing it at the time, and here they are. Exactly as planned. And yeah: directly targeting kids again with Juul (which is what--3-4x more addictive than traditional cigarettes?)

All of these fuckers need to be knee-capped, tbh.

Reactions: KMFJD

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
get the everloving fuck out of here with your roundly debunked asinine horseshit, you fucking idiot. Big Tobacco has been the target of endless regulation and litigation for decades. That you claim otherwise is just fucking trollish nonsense, you fucking willfully-stupid troglodyte.

please go cornhole your guns and mail your money to Wayne, somewhere else.

Which Democrat is running on an anti-tobacco platform? How many have gun control ideas? How many have mentioned tobacco at all? Guns? Go throw your tantrum somewhere else.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Which Democrat is running on an anti-tobacco platform? How many have gun control ideas? How many have mentioned tobacco at all? Guns? Go throw your tantrum somewhere else.

It is amazing that the only place I encounter cigarette smoke in the past 10 years is in red states (and overseas) when Democrats apparently don't do anything about tobacco.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I've been vaping and dabbing for years without issue, but only THC/CBD. Here in Oregon our shit is tested by state approved labs and if it ain't good shit it doesn't get approved for sale. I was at the doc day before yesterday (back injury followup) and my O2 level was 99%. The only time I cough is when I take a huge hit, that's it.

It's clear that some people are sucking up some bad shit but that's what you get when all you can do is trust that they aren't poisoning you with that untested/unregulated crap you are buying.

Reactions: KMFJD

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
It's going to be a hoot watching the fur fly when they take the vapes away, and everyone goes back to Marlboros and Newports.

Except for those few of us, that bought our vape pens early. Think I'll go get5 more new batteries today.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
get the everloving fuck out of here with your roundly debunked asinine horseshit, you fucking idiot. Big Tobacco has been the target of endless regulation and litigation for decades. That you claim otherwise is just fucking trollish nonsense, you fucking willfully-stupid troglodyte.

please go cornhole your guns and mail your money to Wayne, somewhere else.
This is his first and most obvious troll. Once you see him continue to claim this absurdity, it's easy to realize he's just a troll/paid shill.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
What I had heard this morning as well was that a large percentage of the people hospitalized had gone directly to ICU and most were put on respirators. The effects from vaping seem to be very quick and very severe.

since vaping has been around for over a decade with none of this happening, what has changed?

Jan 25, 2011
since vaping has been around for over a decade with none of this happening, what has changed?
My guess is time and proliferation happened. I've seen people adopt vaping in the last year or two at en exponential rate anecdotally. A much wider user base and more people with prolonged usage.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
My guess is time and proliferation happened. I've seen people adopt vaping in the last year or two at en exponential rate anecdotally. A much wider user base and more people with prolonged usage.

This doesn't make any sense even if we myopically look at US only. They have happened within weeks of each other and have been rapid onset. Moreover, most have been connected with black market THC products. It's pretty obvious where this is going.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I still think something is extremely fishy with the massive assault on vaping when Cigs that kill MILLIONS are still sold and fully legal. I assume the tobacco companies or someone affiliated to are very upset that people switch from cigs to vapes.
Also, the problem people are having with vaping are people adding unlawful and illegal or at best undetermined junk into their vaping. Vapers can add substances to their vaping that act as Pot on steroids, or give the effect of LSD.
Those are the people getting sick. Not the every day vaping public.
And I think the FDA knows this and congress knows this and the medical society knows this.
So why would the news media take off and run with this nonsense trying to scare people and to engage with stamping out vaping?
Vaping, the only real hope that most cigarette smokers have for quitting the smoking habit.
Cigarettes kill and disable so many people, hundreds, thousands, millions. Yet the urgency is to focus on those that vape?
This is the dark side of capitalism, where money can buy influence and control. Where the guys with the most money win the battle regardless of how that harms the public in general. We see this all the time. Companies polluting the air, the rivers and lakes yet nothing is done about it. They simply buy their way out of any liability. The guys with the larges bank account have the most influence, and paying off a state government or state official or an United States congressman or congresswoman is so very easy when you have the money to win the game. Vaping can't begin to compete with the large tobacco companies.
We all know how this will end. Tobacco will win and more people will then die. Exactly how they want it.....

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So glad, even though I live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal, but not legal to grow, I have yet to buy a single legal product. I watch the plants (now in full bloom) as they grow, I personally know the person who extracts the oil and resin and know the process that they are using is about as clean as you can get. Lungs do take somewhat of a beating, but for the love of Mike, I have no clue what bullshit they are cutting the THC commercially with thank goodness.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Do you have worms in your brain? Is that your problem? Something must be eating all that straw that you are hoarding.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Not good.

The number of cases of lung injury associated with vaping is up from 530 last week to 805 as of today. And 1 more death added today for a total of 12..

"There are now 805 confirmed and probable cases of lung injury associated with e-cigarette use in 46 states and the US Virgin Islands, as of Tuesday, the CDC reported on Thursday."

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Not good.

The number of cases of lung injury associated with vaping is up from 530 last week to 805 as of today. And 1 more death added today for a total of 12..

"There are now 805 confirmed and probable cases of lung injury associated with e-cigarette use in 46 states and the US Virgin Islands, as of Tuesday, the CDC reported on Thursday."

Its kind of amazing they replaced smoking tobacco with something that kills you sooner. FDA is shit.

whats amazing is vaping has like 10x the nicotine of cigs. I mean come on. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Its kind of amazing they replaced smoking tobacco with something that kills you sooner. FDA is shit.

whats amazing is vaping has like 10x the nicotine of cigs. I mean come on. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Nicotine isn't killing them. I doubt PG or VG are responsible either as vaping has been around for awhile in many countries with many users. One obvious culprit is Vitamin E acetate, which probably explains a significant portion of these cases.

There is nothing preventing someone from smoking multiple cigarettes. If pods had less, they would just go through more.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Nicotine isn't killing them. I doubt PG or VG are responsible either as vaping has been around for awhile in many countries with many users. One obvious culprit is Vitamin E acetate, which probably explains a significant portion of these cases.

There is nothing preventing someone from smoking multiple cigarettes. If pods had less, they would just go through more.

nicotine is the addiction. If its 10x more then cigs wtf? I quit cigs and it was fucking hard. This will be even harder. Insane.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
nicotine is the addiction. If its 10x more then cigs wtf? I quit cigs and it was fucking hard. This will be even harder. Insane.

It should be easier to quit, since they don't have MAOIs and some other chemicals responsible for elevating addiction. Nicotine salts are winning out, so the pH change should potentiate the typical vape however.

The health problems of nicotine without all the tobacco crap are night and day difference. Nicotine is like an upgraded caffeine without the crash from my experience, so I can see why someone weighs those positives in favor.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019

dude just stfu already. all you do is post bullshit. i know you are ignorant and put your beliefs before facts but dont you think you should maybe educate yourself before you post really stupid ignorant shit? good grief. grow up.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
dude just stfu already. all you do is post bullshit. i know you are ignorant and put your beliefs before facts but dont you think you should maybe educate yourself before you post really stupid ignorant shit? good grief. grow up.

Relax you little twerp.