PSA: Halik is a U.S. Citizen now !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Martin
Some people tend to have wildly inflated opinions of themselves. If you think second-class citizenship is ok because of vague whinings about culture and tradition than you couldn't be further removed from someone with a "pretty informed moral conscience".

Well then, maybe if you are so bothered by this country's many traditions, cultures, and values, why don't you just leave?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: brencat
Some people tend to have wildly inflated opinions of themselves. If you think second-class citizenship is ok because of vague whinings about culture and tradition than you couldn't be further removed from someone with a "pretty informed moral conscience".

Well then, maybe if you are so bothered by this country's many traditions, cultures, and values, why don't you just leave?

HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE Argument....

so generic

"if you don't like it, then just leave!"

btw, PSA, he is a Canadian

edit:

btw i'd like to see a response to the whole "true American" tidbit

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: magomago
the reality is a "True" american - if we want to define people like that - are going to be those who grew up here and understand the people and culture.
Totally agree. Have no argument with your statement. But where do we draw the line? At 1 yrs old -- like in your case? Or a 3 yr old, or an 8 yr old? Which of these is eligible to be President? I'll stipulate that kids at each of these age groups clearly grow up understanding the people and the culture. But the law says you have to be born here to be President. That's it -- line in the sand drawn. Not a major enough issue for me to want to change it.

And as far as Martin goes...if he's Canadian and not living here either, then I don't have any more time to waste discussing American traditions, as I would never challenge any of his.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
So let me translate: "But congrats Halik. Good for you :thumbsup:... but you'll always be a foreigner :thumbsdown:"

But his kids, if they're born here, will be true Americans. Sorry, but I have no desire to see every tradition and value in this country overturned by you lefties. I firmly believe traditions sometimes have to trump "principle and reason" to preserve culture.
If anything, principal and reason are the driving forces behind preserving such a tradition.

I myself am effected by the law, and could never run for President; but, I still support it all the same. I hope America keeps and follows said law forever, and then some.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
You know, if this were the 60s, you'd be using the exact same argument against the civil rights movement, and if it were the 20s, you'd be telling women they can't vote... cause that's the things have always been, and must therefore always be :roll:

Not necessarily. I'm actually a pretty fair guy with a pretty informed moral conscience so I'll simply say I'm not sure how I would have reacted had I grown up in those times. But thanks anyway for stopping by to threadcrap...

This is what you posted in a thread a couple of years ago regarding the Canadian Queen who is the Head of State of Canada under archaic bloodline & religious requirements:

I don't mind it really. Its kinda like a pet for the whole country, or a minor indulgence. You spend some minor sum, but you preserve some traditions and a link to the past.

In any case, hardly an issue worth debating about.

Good to see that you have changed and entered the 21st century. I don't see many Canadians becoming progressive on the issue.

Oh, nice find. If you dig some more, you'll probably find lots more of these - I was 17 when I started posting here and my opinions on many things have changed, thankfully.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse
So let me translate: "But congrats Halik. Good for you :thumbsup:... but you'll always be a foreigner :thumbsdown:"

But his kids, if they're born here, will be true Americans. Sorry, but I have no desire to see every tradition and value in this country overturned by you lefties. I firmly believe traditions sometimes have to trump "principle and reason" to preserve culture.
If anything, principal and reason are the driving forces behind preserving such a tradition.

I myself am effected by the law, and could never run for President; but, I still support it all the same. I hope America keeps and follows said law forever, and then some.

Ahh, that must be the ever-popular and enduring principle of inequality...

You know, I can understand people being altruistic and sacrificing their self-interest... but when you starting doing this for absolutely no good reason or advantage, you just become a stupid doormat.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Congratulations Halek. Having lived in the U.S. as a permanent resident for two decades and being eligible for U.S. citizenship, I never could get around to doing it. Most of the people around me think that I was pretty dumb not to do so, but for me, it would be like changing mothers. Now I am back in my home country though I travel to and from the U.S. quite often.

But I will always love and admire the United States for what it gave me and what it stands for.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
the reality is a "True" american - if we want to define people like that - are going to be those who grew up here and understand the people and culture.
Totally agree. Have no argument with your statement. But where do we draw the line? At 1 yrs old -- like in your case? Or a 3 yr old, or an 8 yr old? Which of these is eligible to be President? I'll stipulate that kids at each of these age groups clearly grow up understanding the people and the culture. But the law says you have to be born here to be President. That's it -- line in the sand drawn. Not a major enough issue for me to want to change it.

And as far as Martin goes...if he's Canadian and not living here either, then I don't have any more time to waste discussing American traditions, as I would never challenge any of his.

Then if you agree with me, you disagree with your earlier statement that only those born here are true Americans. that is all that I have a real issue with.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001

Then if you agree with me, you disagree with your earlier statement that only those born here are true Americans. that is all that I have a real issue with.

I say that anyone who hopes to be free and is here for that reason has all the makings of an American. I dont care if your 90 if thats when you get around to it.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: halik
Topic Summary: And I'm still against illegal immigration :p

Wrong answer. The correct summary is, "Now which way to the welfare office?"

And congratulations. Make sure you do your due diligence when you vote ;)