PSA: F@H Remote

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
See my last post in this thread for updated information!

Did anyone else get the following email about F@HRemote?

----------------------------------------
Please stop all use of the FahRemote program and delete any traces of it from any and all systems running this program. It is closed beta for testing ONLY to Team 11108 MaximumPC members. It is posted on the bmkfolding website and also stated at the official folding-community forums as such. Also please notify any other AnAndTech users that may be using it or have used it to cease and desist usage immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkfolding.com
I would also like to thank the beta testers:
bmk789, fzaba, HeadWound, Ricksickle, Screwballl, smartcat99s, Thunar, and _r2w_ben
NOTE: FAHremote is currently only available to Team 11108 members.

Further and/or continued use of this program will cause me and the originators of this program to take action.

The letter which is ready to be sent off to your content provider Exetel: "I am from Mike's Computer Services (FL, USA) looking into a matter that pertains to your network. http://ckdpc.com/fahremote/ appears to be illegally using FAHremote software. ckdpc.com brings me to IP: 220.233.173.23, which is in your network according to http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl.

FAHremote is a beta program that has no public access as of now, and any use/owning of said programming is illegal (according to US law) unless authorized by the creators. As they have not given such access/permission in this case this program was obtained illegally and is thus required to be removed from public domain immediately. We are currently working on tracking down the user at this point but need that website shut down.

Thanks for your cooperation."

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

-Mike
------------------------------------------

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
No, I didn't get an email like that... :confused:

But if he's going to have an attitude like that, I'm sure that I could find better substitutes for what he's [not] offering anyway, if I wanted whatever it is that he's so worked up over.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
No email here either. Although I don't use the program.

How does he know? Does the program phone home?

He could have just asked instead of using threats:

I guess I look for another magazine to subscribe to after this one ends. Any suggestions on a good alternate PC mag?

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
He could have just asked instead of using threats

Agreed. On the whole the DC community is usually pretty friendly and cooperative, I don't know why they would use threats like those using the program are hackers or anything. I know any of us would stop using a program if asked. No need for threats at all. :roll:

While it is within the author of the programs choice to use it only for their team, most developers are more than happy to allow the general DC population to use their programs, free of charge. It's sort of like Open Source versus closed source, Linux Vs Microsoft.

I'm not even using the F@HRemote program, so I don't know why in the heck I got the email to begin with. :roll:

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Erm, alright then...
I don't see how the "program was obtained illegally", as when I installed it, it was linked directly on the F@H forums.
When I went through and installed both the client and server, I saw nothing about being in closed beta for team 11108 members either.

I still have no idea why they emailed you Ray, it should have been easy to get my email address from the whois info on my domain and at least ask me to politely stop using it.

I'll stop using it, but how legal would his argument actually be, seeing as it was being advertised on the F@H forums as being in open beta?

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, I know. The forums have been updated to say it's beta and currently for their team only, and the link doesn't work now.

But to say it was obtained illegally is BS.

To threaten the way they did is BS as well.

:|

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I finally cooled down enough to send a reply to the email I received, let them know that the threats were not needed, and invited the sender and the author to pop in and discuss this if they so choose.

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: GLeeM
How does he know? Does the program phone home?

I believe it might, as all of my boxes running the FAHRemote software had stopped updating their stats a couple of weeks prior to this for no reason.

I'm currently writing something quite similar that I can use to monitor my clients anyway, if I get it finished I'll be happy to release it for open use to whoever wants to use it.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Coolkid
I'm currently writing something quite similar that I can use to monitor my clients anyway, if I get it finished I'll be happy to release it for open use to whoever wants to use it.
That sounds great! Will it be for Windows only, or will it also support other platforms? :cool:

Screwballl

Jan 27, 2006
I am not the one that wrote this email but I am THE Screwballl mentioned in that letter. We had a problem sometime back as well with others attemtping to use this program when it did specifically state on the website that it is closed beta for Folding Team 11108 members.
At this time the program status is in limbo as the creator is attempting to get a MPL or other similar type public license for this program introduced as long as its originators are credited on all related pages.
I am sorry to hear of someone with this tone contacting you and the wording could have been presented in a much better way.
Feel free to contact any of the FahRemote indivduals on that list at the MaximumPC forums via PM, most notably smartcat99s

HeadSpin

May 24, 2006
I can't speak for the MPC forum community, but I apologize for any offense taken to the email. Some of the MPC members get a bit protective when it comes to the software we are working on :)

The original version written by me (client side) was meant to be a single computer remote monitoring software. When I introduced it to the MPC forums, they helped a lot with testing / coding etc. and we decided to keep it private till it was done. Since then, I have pretty much dropped out of writing any more code and a new person has taken over writing a much better multi-client version. Also one of our guys has done a very good job with the server side PHP coding for sorting and providing all the data for the team. If you have been to our monitoring site, I think you can see some of the possibilities with this type of program.

The reason I am writing this is multi-fold. First, while we are members of the MPC forums, we are not related / work for the magazine so they do not endorse anything we do. Please do not get mad at the magazine or complain to them about any of this as they are not aware or involved with any of this. Second, our multi-client version will be going public very soon and really is an excellent program for remote monitoring, please do not overlook the possible use of this program to help with your folding monitoring.

Folding for a cure
HeadSpin

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Second, our multi-client version will be going public very soon and really is an excellent program for remote monitoring, please do not overlook the possible use of this program to help with your folding monitoring.

Well, if they are planning on taking it public again, why the heck all the fuss, and rants about acquiring and using it illegally? Sheesh.

Certainly not the kind of attitude that promotes good will among fellow DCrs, nor an approach that will entice those accused into using the program again. I know I won't.

Thanks for popping in with the update though. :)

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Thanks for dropping by guys :)
I can understand why you don't want to release it to the public yet, but I guess it was just the nature of that email that pissed me (and others) off. Especially making claims that it was obtained illegally, when both the client and server side PHP code was clearly posted on BMKfolding.com (looks related to MPC?) along with setup instructions.

Anyway, we'll be looking forward to seeing this new version when it's ready to go public :D

Originally posted by: ProviaFan
That sounds great! Will it be for Windows only, or will it also support other platforms? :cool:

I've used the same idea as FAHRemote with the client/server type setup.

The server part will run on any web server with PHP and MySQL.
I've written a windows client that sends back data using HTTP POST to the PHP side of things, but it should be pretty simple to do the same thing for Linux I would say.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Oops, sorry, I didn't see Screwball's post above. :eek:

Well, I sent a reply back to the originator of that email, but so far haven't heard anything back. Screwball, I'll PM you here the email address of the originating author.

Screwballl

Jan 27, 2006
I would appreciate that, hopefully we can get down to who it is and an apology can be made.

Also as HeadSpin mentioned, the entire Folding@Home project under the MaximumPC magazine name is just that, we fold for the science and there is no official correlation between us other than using the magazine's name for the team. Some employees do fold but not as a team leader in any way.

I hope this situation is resolved soon as the newer public clients will be out in the near future.

smartcat99s

May 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Coolkid
Originally posted by: ProviaFan

I've used the same idea as FAHRemote with the client/server type setup.

The server part will run on any web server with PHP and MySQL.
I've written a windows client that sends back data using HTTP POST to the PHP side of things, but it should be pretty simple to do the same thing for Linux I would say.

I'm smartcat99s, and I'm the person who's developing the said client for public release.

A Linux version will be released at about the same time (it's working, but needs help), and it's written in Python. The Windows client is written in .NET, so thus I developed an alternate client that works under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows (by pywin32all).

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Thanks for taking the time to stop by & clear things up Screwballl, HeadSpin & smartcat99s :thumbsup:

Keep on Folding :)

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hanks for taking the time to stop by & clear things up Screwballl, HeadSpin & smartcat99s

Keep on Folding :)

Agreed. :D

An update: I've been talking with Screwball, and it seems someone pretending to be him sent me the email. Now why they would do that is beyond my comprehension. Don't know if they are doing it for kicks, or to try to cause ill-will between teams, I don't know. :|

One thing I do know, is that I don't think they counted on good people on different teams willing to work through issues, and get to the truth. :)

I appreciate Screwballl, HeadSpin & smartcat99s posting and help clearing things up. I apologize for any harsh words, now that I know that the email was bogus, and not the approach you guys would take.

Good luck with the new F@HRemote, we'll check it out once it goes public. :thumbsup: :)

And if you ever find out who in the heck was pretending to be you Screwball, I'd be more than happy to loan you my cane, so you could give them a few whacks for me. :)

And as Spacehead says, Keep on Folding! :D