PSA: Don't use water in your windshield wiper fluid reservoir

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fbrdphreak, Jun 15, 2010.

1. fbrdphreak

fbrdphreak Lifer

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/15/report-water-as-windshield-wiper-fluid-causes-20-of-legionnair/

I dunno about all the statistics around this causing 20% of Legionnaires' Disease cases in the UK, but still good to know!

2. Gibson486

Gibson486 Lifer

ummm...yeah...water under constant warm temps.....

3. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

A cup of alcohol will fix that. Most washer fluid is just isopropyl or methyl alcohol and blue dye. So tap water plus a little alcohol is all you need.

I mix my own to save time and money. Dump in alcohol and fill rest with water. J

#3 Vette73, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. fbrdphreak

fbrdphreak Lifer

What a waste Marlin - you should be drinkin' that alcohol :D

5. waffleironhead

waffleironhead Diamond Member

better than accidentally putting coolant in there. (My pop did and boy was that a mess to clean out)

6. CraigRT

CraigRT Lifer

Good to know I guess... for the cost of washer fluid and frequency required (only in winter) I don't have a problem spending the $5 per year on proper fluid :p

7. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

My inlaws did this. I went to use the washer fluid and the windshielf got worse, really worse. Opened it up and knew what it was when I smelled it.

Told them what to use and what NOT to use. Next time I came back and now it was making lots of foam. I guess dish washing soap was better then the coolant. :rolleyes:

8. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I just use non-ammonia glass cleaner. Cleans and smells SUPER!

9. speedy2

speedy2 Golden Member

Yeah would never do just plain water. It doesn't really do much for stuck on bugs anyway. When I get oil changes the places around here usually top them off. But, now that I'm starting to do my own changes, I will have to pick up a bottle now.

10. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

lol :D

11. InflatableBuddha

InflatableBuddha Diamond Member

12. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt Supermoderator<br>The Garage<br>Elite member

I'm pretty sure that the bigger issue is that when the temps drop below freezing the washers stop working.

ZV

13. obamanation

obamanation Banned

Well if it makes you guys feel any better, you can get 1 gallon of washer fluid for about $2 at autozone where I live. Also washerfluid = windex/other generic window washing fluid, at costco, 1.3 gallons of windex will cost you $11.50 opposed to the $2 for the washer fluid at autozone. Weird that windex would be more expensive than washer fluid considering how often people fill up their washer fluid.

#13 obamanation, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  14. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Diamond Member

wow op I never even though of that, good to know ill top up my washer fluid then, I wash my car too often to even use it though the fluid in there is over a year old lol.

15. ayabe

ayabe Diamond Member

That's what I thought this was going to be about or perhaps a busted reservoir.

Interesting nonetheless.

16. MJinZ

MJinZ Diamond Member

You guys are too cheap for $3 Rain-X?

17. kornphlake

kornphlake Golden Member

I don't know about where you live, but my tap water is treated with chloramine, it should keep most of the scum and villainy under control, that's what it's for anyway, keeping scum and villainy out of the pipes...

I use the correct fluids regardless, plain water doesn't really wash windows very well.

18. hanoverphist

hanoverphist Diamond Member

not a problem here in az :D

19. PhoKingGuy

PhoKingGuy Diamond Member

This.....its usually on sale for 2 bucks a bottle at walmart

20. marvdmartian

marvdmartian Diamond Member

My sister had a Dodge one time, that in the winter time, you didn't dare turn on the defroster until the engine was warmed up. They put the washer fluid lines going down the wiper arms (out in the open, instead of spraying from the nice warm hood), and if you jumped into the car in the wintertime, and attempted to defrost your windows by turning on the air, while the engine was warming up, it would freeze those lines solid.....and there wasn't a damn thing you could do to thaw them, unless you wanted to start hitting them with a hair dryer, or a bunch of warm water. If you waited, no problems.

The dealer told her that Dodge knew of the problem, but didn't plan on doing anything about it, and she'd just have to live with it. :rolleyes:

21. angry hampster

angry hampster Diamond Member

Saving money? What, $1-2/year? That alcohol and water isn't free. I don't see how you'd be saving timeas you're dealing with 2 bottles instead of one.

For $3/gallon, the Rain-X fluid is really incredible.

22. scott916

scott916 Platinum Member

Woah, I just topped off my res with water just the other day because it ran out and I didn't feel like going to the store. Looks like I'll be adding some alcohol to that, sheesh! :eek:

23. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Most tap water in the US probably won't support bacteria growth due to the sanitizing stuff that's in it from the treatment plant.

24. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Interesting. Why is this, though? What exactly makes it a breeding ground for this specific bacteria? Could you hold a tub of water at ~100 degrees and get the same result?

Nah. Chlorine evaporates out of water rather quickly. It would hinder things for a while, but the bacterium would have no problems gaining a foothold given enough time.

25. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Methanol is toxic low-cost bullshit. I use water and isopropyl alcohol, and that's what everybody should use. It boggles the mind that a substance that causes blindness and is toxic when inhaled is allowed to be used as windshield washer.