PSA: Don't challenge a truck with a bicycle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: MonkeyDriveExpress
The collarbone thing sucks (broke mine before), but it isn't all that bad. When you go for x-rays or an exam, do NOT let them overtighten the brace when you put it back on, it'll give you some of the nastiest sores possible.

The guy at the hostipal said my shoulders need to be "back" some. He put the strap on way too loose. My wife tightened it up some but I'm concerned about not doing it right and having the bone heal back wrong. I took a 2 hour nap earlier and when I woke up it felt like I had been hit by a semi instead of a pick-up. I dread waking up after 8 hours....

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: darkeneddays
Originally posted by: MonkeyDriveExpress
The collarbone thing sucks (broke mine before), but it isn't all that bad. When you go for x-rays or an exam, do NOT let them overtighten the brace when you put it back on, it'll give you some of the nastiest sores possible.

The guy at the hostipal said my shoulders need to be "back" some. He put the strap on way too loose. My wife tightened it up some but I'm concerned about not doing it right and having the bone heal back wrong. I took a 2 hour nap earlier and when I woke up it felt like I had been hit by a semi instead of a pick-up. I dread waking up after 8 hours....

If it feels overly constrictive then loosen it a bit. I remember when the X-ray tech put mine on too tightly, not a good memory. Mine didn't hurt all that much, but I didn't get hit by a truck :p. I was playing football (no pads, I was 8) and my brother tackled me and I landed on just the right spot.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Shenanigans. That's right, I called it. Nobody getis into a bike vs. truck@35mph accident and walks away, much less remembers every single detail of exactly what hit what. I know, I see these things all the time in the ER.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Snatchface
Shenanigans. That's right, I called it. Nobody getis into a bike vs. truck@35mph accident and walks away, much less remembers every single detail of exactly what hit what. I know, I see these things all the time in the ER.

Once again, I hit the passenger side door,not the front grill, or yes, I would be toast. The only 2 moments I recall from the actual hit was:

1) Hitting the damn truck
2) Hitting the damn ground

Had I not been riding the brake down the hill I could have been worse. Luckily, I was riding at a crawl when I decided to gun it across the road so I only got about 2 revolutions on the pedals before I got whacked.

Also the guy that I hit called this morning to see if I was ok. He and his wife are Christians, said they were praying for me and asked if there was anything I needed help with. Once again, lucky. I could have hit some guy that would have been a total d!ck.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Also the guy that I hit called this morning to see if I was ok. He and his wife are Christians, said they were praying for me and asked if there was anything I needed help with. Once again, lucky. I could have hit some guy that would have been a total d!ck.

Christian or not, I can tell you that what they were praying for ... for you not to sue. More likely that you wouldn't if you had no serious injuries and think he's a nice guy.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Wow, talk about a brush with death. falling on the same body parts that hit the car was pretty harsh. glad to hear you came out of it reasonably intact, though. it could have been so much worse. rest that broken bone!