PSA: Don't challenge a truck with a bicycle

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Well I was riding my bike to work today since I'm a total loser and have no car. Went to go across an intersection, thinking it was clear(yes, i looked). Umm, well it wasn't clear. I got nailed by a truck going about 35mph. It was not cool. My face and left shoulder smacked into the truck. Then as I fell off the bike, I landed on my face and left shoulder. Yes, it sucked.
After talking with police,witnesses, and paramedics I finallygot a ride to the E.R.(Not with the ambulance though,I'm not paying $300 for a 5 minute ride) Turns out I snapped my left collarbone in half. Now I have to wear this splint that looks like a backpack...but without the pack.
My bike however is in good condition and suffered nothing more than a torn off brake handle. So glad I took the majority of the impact away from the bike
rolleye.gif

Time to go pick up the script for Tylox. Don't run into moving vehicles people, it hurts. :)

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
LMAO....hahahahahaha, I just made everybody in the computer lab at school look at me. Hahahhahahahha, that was funny. This will be a topic of discussion when my friends and I are drinking tonight.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Atleast you're not dead. :D

edit: It wasn't like the story was "laugh out loud and go nuts" funny.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

I'm sure it wasnt, but it made me laugh ridiculously loud.

This is what made it funny:
1) His face and shoulder was slapped by the passing truck.
2) He then fell.
3) He was on his way to work.
4) Then he describes how his bike is still ok despite a handle bar...

Im still giggling about it.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Spoooon
Atleast you're not dead. :D

Very true, and I'm thankful for that. However, according to the doctor this thing is going to hurt so bad tomorrow, I'm going to be wishing I had died. :(

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Were you at least wearing a helmet?

No. Riding the bike was a last resort option. Our car died a few months back and the truck my father-in-law was letting us use, had to go into the shop. Something else to be thankful for...that my head didn't crack open like an egg.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

I'm sure it wasnt, but it made me laugh ridiculously loud.

This is what made it funny:
1) His face and shoulder was slapped by the passing truck.
2) He then fell.
3) He was on his way to work.
4) Then he describes how his bike is still ok despite a handle bar...

Im still giggling about it.

I'm a comical person, and I'd be laughing too were it not me and if laughing didn't hurt so damn bad right now. Besides, would I honestly put this on Atot and not expect people to have fun with it?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I'm a comical person, and I'd be laughing too were it not me and if laughing didn't hurt so damn bad right now. Besides, would I honestly put this on Atot and not expect people to have fun with it?

Sorry man, it was funny. At least your ok. A couple of years ago, I was on my way to a morning class. I was really tired. It was one of those mornings when your soo tired you don't really realize whats going on. After I parked, I was walking to the building when this white lexus backs up and hits me. I fell down, and everybody standing outside of the building saw. Hahhaha, then the guy gets out and says "You should watch where your going." The jerk.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
dude, glad you're ok at least... could've been much worse thats for sure.

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
so did you run a stop sign or a red light? Was it 100% the truck's fault? If so $$$!

But i'm tired of seeing bike riders who fly right through stop signs and lights like they don't apply to them. It's stupid and dangerous, and someday they'll be tasting bumper plastic for a long time.

-patchy

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Glad you see some humor in it, because I sure didn't. The pitcher for our pony league baseball team was killed on his bicycle in the fall of the same season he won a championship for us. Our team went to the funeral viewing, and it SUCKED! First time I'd ever seen a dead person, and he was only 15 years old...

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ApacheXMD
so did you run a stop sign or a red light? Was it 100% the truck's fault? If so $$$!

I smell money. :D

But i'm tired of seeing bike riders who fly right through stop signs and lights like they don't apply to them. It's stupid and dangerous, and someday they'll be tasting bumper plastic for a long time.

-patchy

Actually, once the spinal column snaps, there's only a few seconds of consciousness before the bumper eater croaks. :p

Glad to hear you're alive and fairly well though.

Remember - When in America, SUE!

- M4H

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Good to hear you are okay...it's a dangerous world out there when your transportation is a bike.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Glad you see some humor in it, because I sure didn't. The pitcher for our pony league baseball team was killed on his bicycle in the fall of the same season he won a championship for us. Our team went to the funeral viewing, and it SUCKED! First time I'd ever seen a dead person, and he was only 15 years old...

If he died, it would be a different story.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I didn't think that was funny at all. Glad you didn't get more seriously hurt. Enjoy your drugs!

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
35 MPH my ass. You'd be dead if it were that fast. 10 or 15 MPH sure, but not 35.
Either way, glad your ok. I about got killed by a truck while walking across a crosswalk one time. Stepped out without looking (Its a HIGH traffic area for people with marked crosswalks) heard a screech of brakes, looked over and see a grill witht he word MAC on it. I was like...Whoa....

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
OK...the guy was doing at least 35, but I didn't get hit head on. I hit the passenger side door.

It wasn't his fault. It was an intersection on a hill. At the intersection there is a road that veers to the side. I was going down tha road, riding the brake because I didn't want to go too fast and get hit by a car(haha). Anyways, I looked over my shoulder and the right lane was clear, but because it was on a hill, I could only see to the top of the hill, and not further down the road. After I saw the right lane clear, I looked in the far lane for about 5 seconds. There was traffic but it was slow, so I figured I'd gun it and get across. At this point I should have looked back at the right lane, but I didn't. Smack.

Even if I had looked I'd have probably still got hit because of the way the hill was angled. If I had got 2 seconds earlier and been hit from the front, yes, I think I'd be dead.

So even though it wasn't really my fault(thanks to the hill) it certainly wasn't his fault. I'm man enough to admit when I've fvcked up. The guy who drove the truck was really cool though. He gave me a ride to the store I work at and explained to my manager what happened(Although my bloody body would have probably been enough to convince him I was in an accident). He even gave me his business card and said to call him if I needed any help.

So while the entire incident sucked much ass, it really could have been much much worse.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Hopefully you didn't damage his truck. If so there apparently are insurance companies that will sue you for the repairs on the truck. :(

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
OH! I had read it was you sucked bumper. Ok, hititn the door I can see gettin off fairly well even if he was doin 35 MPH. But the bumper? That'd leave a mark....

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Freejack2
Hopefully you didn't damage his truck. If so there apparently are insurance companies that will sue you for the repairs on the truck. :(

Actually the guy was pretty cool about the whole thing. The truck was a work truck for a lawn-care company he works for. It didn't leave a bad mark(mainly because my body absorbed most of the impact). I don't think he's gonna bother though.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The collarbone thing sucks (broke mine before), but it isn't all that bad. When you go for x-rays or an exam, do NOT let them overtighten the brace when you put it back on, it'll give you some of the nastiest sores possible.