PSA: cook your food, several people sick in canada

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
There is no real debate here, cooking your food all the way through kills any pathogens in the meat. That is a scientific proven fact.
Counterexample: prions.
Thus, it is not true that it is a scientific proven fact.

that's how you eat a fucking steak...
If I cut a raw steak, blood doesn't run out. After cooking, it does "run out" for some people. When I cook a t-bone, porterhouse, NY strip, delmonico (rib eye), or filet, at medium rare (rare for filet), blood doesn't "run out."

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
and raw oysters are delicious. had some from connecticut the other day.

edit: the red juice that comes out of steak is myoglobin and water. it is not blood.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Nope, that is why we have an immune system.

Where would we be today if our ancestors gave up 1/2 cooked meat? Could you imagine the cook time for a slab of mastodon?

Bingo!!! We're making progress! For the trivial amount of risk cooking a steak to medium rare, your immune system will generally alleviate any problems. Our ancestors knew that well done doesn't taste as good and has a worse texture.

Now, YOU cook your meat to well done, and apparently think your immune system will take care of the rest. Wrong. The things that survive to that temperature are not taken care of by your immune system. Toxins left in the meat is one example, prions are another. Cooking your steaks to well done provides only a negligible amount of additional protection. Yet, you eat raw vegetables.

The logic you're employing here is the equivalent of being afraid to get wet at all, so you carry an umbrella over your head 24/7 just in case a shower might quickly move in on a rainy day. Meanwhile (while afraid to get wet), you're walking across a tight rope suspended just above the ocean. You have something like a 1 in 50 chance of eventually getting sick from vegetables ("but, I'm willing to take that chance!") while repeatedly saying that something like a 1 in 20 million chance of getting sick from steak "is too big of a risk to take."

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Bingo!!! We're making progress! For the trivial amount of risk cooking a steak to medium rare, your immune system will generally alleviate any problems. Our ancestors knew that well done doesn't taste as good and has a worse texture.

Couple of days ago I cleaned my chickens waterer, forgot to wash my hands, ate some grapes maybe 30 minutes later.

Next day I had the good ole hershey squirts.

Today I feel fine.

Cooking my meat all the way through is a choice that I make.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
No wonder Hindus worship cattle, they are resistant to all know diseases.

If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never known that beef was pure and clean from any kind of infection.

Maybe scientist can find a cure for HIV from cow blood?

If someone with HIV eats enough raw steak, will the magical cow blood cure the infections?

Next time I get a cut, I am going to rub magical cow blood into the wound. Maybe I should keep a steak in my first aid kit?

Yes, you've followed the conversation well, we think cows are magic. Thank you for your insights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZuktUfF0nE

Have you taken any first aid courses?

What did the instructor teach you about blood? That all blood should be treated as if it were contaminated?

But for some reason, uncooked steaks from a cow have zero chance of being contaminated?

The last time I looked, fruits and veggies do not have blood.

Now that's awesome. I literally laughed out loud.