PSA: come to a full stop behind the first white line

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Yea, those people are great too for when I'm on my bike and have to cross an intersection. I sometimes have to weave all the way behind their bigass SUV or whatever it is.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Kaieye
Do you mean a California stop?

Why do Californians make up names for all bad traffic maneuvers that imply they are somehow related to California? :confused:

I agree with the OP, those people are idiots. The line is there for a reason. If you stick out farther, the people who are turning left have to slow down and turn at a different angle. You impede traffic by sticking out farther.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I hate it when you're going through an intersection on green and some guy is creeping to make a right at about 5MPH and you wonder if he's even going to wait for you.

I always watch their faces. If they're looking at me, they're not going to turn. If they turn away I proceed with more caution. I'm glad NJ does now allow front side window tint, because with tint I have no idea what these idiots are thinking.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: astroidea
Does anyone ever intentionally stop that far past the line? I've only seen it on accidents where drivers were unable to stop on time before the line.

I don't think there are too many cases where you can actually blame someone for stopping past the line.

I've seen people stop with their entire car past the line, and it was not due to being unable to stop in time. It boggles the mind.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
I have a similar problem with the first major turn I make on the way to work. I am turning left onto a major diagonal street, heading southeast from north. I'm in the left turn lane and a creeper will block my view of traffic on the right. I already have to creep past the line (and the crosswalk) to see past parked cars on my left. What's worse is sometimes the creeper will turn left and cut in front of me. What the hell! http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/sm8000/corner.gif

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

Why do Californians make up names for all bad traffic maneuvers that imply they are somehow related to California? :confused:

I agree with the OP, those people are idiots. The line is there for a reason. If you stick out farther, the people who are turning left have to slow down and turn at a different angle. You impede traffic by sticking out farther.

well there really is such a thing as a "Michigan Left" so why not a "California Stop" or "California Roll"

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
Originally posted by: mugs

well there really is such a thing as a "Michigan Left" so why not a "California Stop" or "California Roll"

Hehe, California Roll