PSA: Buy haircare products from small, independent barber shops

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
On my way home, I remembered I needed some gel so I stopped at the first barber shop I saw. Walked out with a 15oz bottle of American Crew gel for $9. I paid $17 for an 8oz bottle the last time I bought this at a chain salon in a mall.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
better yet, check out a beauty supply store for african american products. big tubs of gel are really cheap.

it's all the same stuff anyways.

i got a 5 pound tub for $4. and it doesn't flake like the more expensive stuff seeems to do.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: iamme
better yet, check out a beauty supply store for african american products. big tubs of gel are really cheap.

i got a 5 pound tub for $4. and it doesn't flake like the more expensive stuff seeems to do.

American Crew doesn't smell like rotting ass like those tubs of other stuff do.

I'll stick with my A.C. Fiber, thank you.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I will buy my shampoo and conditioner from whichever store has the lowest price.

That store charges $15 for the 15oz bottle of American Crew hair gel + shipping. The barber shop I went to had Crew shampoo, which probably smells better than that stuff and is most likely cheaper. So :p

iamme: 5 POUNDS?!?!?! :Q That'd last me for years.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac

well, read the label and steer clear of the "rotting ass" scented gel and you're fine :)

the unscented gel smells like normal hair gel to me.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: KingNothing
I will buy my shampoo and conditioner from whichever store has the lowest price.

That store charges $15 for the 15oz bottle of American Crew hair gel + shipping. The barber shop I went to had Crew shampoo, which probably smells better than that stuff and is most likely cheaper. So :p

The links to drugstore.com are only for reference as most cheap ass AT'ers would rather use Pert Plus, Suave, Head and Shoulders or Big Lots 99 cent special strawberry shampoo (you know who you are).

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac

well, read the label and steer clear of the "rotting ass" scented gel and you're fine :)

the unscented gel smells like normal hair gel to me.

so I'm extremely bored and decided to google "ass smell hair gel" and came up with this:

Poop Report

Dude, my ass used to stink, but no more. I know this sounds gay but I put underarm deodorant between my ass crack and it never stinks now. Go get some deodorant or anti-perspirant, the kind that is like a gel. Wipe some on your finger and between your ass crack, and your ass will never stink.

:confused:

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Yzzim

so I'm extremely bored and decided to google "ass smell hair gel" and came up with this:

every post that starts with that sentence is sig-worthy :p:beer:

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

The links to drugstore.com are only for reference as most cheap ass AT'ers would rather use Pert Plus, Suave, Head and Shoulders or Big Lots 99 cent special strawberry shampoo (you know who you are).
Damn you metrosexual!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever

Damn you metrosexual!

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm only half metrosexual. If I weren't such a lazy bastard I could be a full fledged member but only 50% of me is metrosexual. I'm working on the other 50% though, give it 10 or so years :)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Stop baggin on the Suave. That stuff works great, I get complimented on my hair by stylists all the time. Suave, no blowdrying, no gel.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
Walmart probably had it cheaper yet.

KK

probably not.

i normally buy a gallon jug for 15 bucks and a 5 dollar pump and refill my bottle :)

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA

Stop baggin on the Suave. That stuff works great, I get complimented on my hair by stylists all the time. Suave, no blowdrying, no gel.

Amen. Suave is where it's at.

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000
do you guys use blue magic? or is black magic? its like gooooood gel...but ive been using three flowers lately

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Hubris

WTF is wrong with you people?

American Crew > *

Jan 31, 2002

American Crew > *

That crap can't even dream of handling my mop. Ice Spiker or bust.

- M4H

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

American Crew > *

- M4H

What kind of Canadian crap is that?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I buy cheap gel in bulk from walmart, target, etc. and it lasts for over a year. Mrsskoorb cuts my head with $9 clippers.

Jan 31, 2002

American Crew > *

- M4H

You've never heard of it? :Q

It's a "hair glue" with a hold so strong you could form your locks into a spike and s-t-word someone with it.

- M4H

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

American Crew > *

- M4H

You've never heard of it? :Q

It's a "hair glue" with a hold so strong you could form your locks into a spike and s-t-word someone with it.

- M4H

Nope, nevar.