PSA: Bioshock Remastered released on 09/15/2016

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I wonder if the old savegames will still work?
Tried it myself, and all it does is crash.

What a sloppy, sloppy port this was.
The original's options menu had lots more things, now, it is barren.

Highly disappointed, and I would have been PO'ed if I paid for this.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I fired it up and am at the place where you are forced to fight the first big daddy. Got my ass handed to me because I'm still not familiar with the controls, but the game looks great, runs great, and I've not noticed any oddities or other weird things. It's fun going back in and playing and reliving nostalgia from years ago. I'm playing the remastered version.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I am not having any issues with the remaster. Mouse works fine for me. Playing from the start, just passed Fort Frolic.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'm waiting for some patches to drop.

I imagine Skyrim will be similar. Good thing I have other games in the meantime.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

I imagine Skyrim will be similar. Good thing I have other games in the meantime.

Yup. I'm doing the same. Happy they gave me remastered versions for free. Happy they're addressing issues.

Reactions: sweenish

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Update on getting Bioshock 1 remastered without receipt. I got a steam key today. They ask you to write your steam email address on a paper and take a picture of the game box and the DVD. That's it. I gave them the front and back with the UPC along with the disc.

Reactions: Painman

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Update on getting Bioshock 1 remastered without receipt. I got a steam key today. They ask you to write your steam email address on a paper and take a picture of the game box and the DVD. That's it. I gave them the front and back with the UPC along with the disc.

Good to know, thanks.

Haven't played the game in years, but it always irked me a little that my BS2 key worked on Steam but not BS1.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Good news! It seems like they will fix issues soon.

I haven't found a single issue with Bioshock 1 remastered. Plays exactly like the first did. No crashes, no poor performance, no sound or video glitches... It's just a fun, well rounded game.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
that's interesting since the first one was known for being plagued with audio issues (hence why i've yet to play it). Let's just remember not everyones experiences are the same...

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I finished it, saw only one or 2 graphic glitches, no other issues for me. First time playing it, was fun. I did play on survivor, but didn't get the achievement for finishing on the hardest difficulty. /shrug

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny the existence of the extra Little Sister glitch? I have an archived thread at GameFAQs that details how to get them to spawn in certain areas if anyone is interested in testing this out. I'm still waiting for a reply from 2K for my copy since I own the physical copies.

The only extra Little Sister I could never get to spawn was in Arcadia. Another user who was assisting me was able to replicate the glitch, but I tried for weeks and could never get it to work. I'd be interested to see if the glitch is still in place. It was always amusing getting 24 Little Sisters for a total of 8 gifts and being able to harvest some for extra ADAM while still being able to get the good ending.

Last edited:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I honestly don't get it, the remastered version would have been a great opportunity to fix mouse acceleration, fix FOV and all the other typical console port issues that the PC faced, yet they mess that up and somehow get the visuals looking worse in places? Makes you wonder just what the hell they're doing...a remaster with some care taken could have made the game look and play amazing on a modern 4k ready rig, and they fluff it up...I just don't get it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I honestly don't get it, the remastered version would have been a great opportunity to fix mouse acceleration, fix FOV and all the other typical console port issues that the PC faced, yet they mess that up and somehow get the visuals looking worse in places? Makes you wonder just what the hell they're doing...a remaster with some care taken could have made the game look and play amazing on a modern 4k ready rig, and they fluff it up...I just don't get it.

They wanted an easy buck, and "Remastered" seems to work pretty well for that agenda.
Luckily most of us did not actually pay good money for it.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
As mentioned earlier, half of these "official remasters" are all about 'bumping' the price tag of 9 year old games back up. They're designed to benefit the publisher, not the gamer.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
while I am waiting to get my steam key for Bioshock 1, I decided to play Bioshock 2 Remastered.

So far no crashes or video glitches. Every thing seems to work ok. The differences are noticeable but nothing awesome.

Still is a lot of fun. I love Bioshock 2.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny the existence of the extra Little Sister glitch? I have an archived thread at GameFAQs that details how to get them to spawn in certain areas if anyone is interested in testing this out. I'm still waiting for a reply from 2K for my copy since I own the physical copies.

The only extra Little Sister I could never get to spawn was in Arcadia. Another user who was assisting me was able to replicate the glitch, but I tried for weeks and could never get it to work. I'd be interested to see if the glitch is still in place. It was always amusing getting 24 Little Sisters for a total of 8 gifts and being able to harvest some for extra ADAM while still being able to get the good ending.
I have personally seen that glitch in my retail copy when I replayed it 6 months ago. For me it was at Point Prometheus in the Little Wonders Educational Facility.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Well, finished up bioshock1. No crashes, no graphical or audio anomolies, it just plain worked and ran great. Installed and started bioshock 2 and its running fine so far as well.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I got my steam key today for the entire Remastered collection.

Now for some gaming fun!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Well, finished up bioshock1. No crashes, no graphical or audio anomolies, it just plain worked and ran great. Installed and started bioshock 2 and its running fine so far as well.

I started Bioshock1 remastered last night. I'm playing on an Xbox360 controller. They fixed the controller mappings (and by "fixed" I mean they added them) which was my main hope for the remastered versions. I now know what button to press to do something.

The graphics do look a bit sharper to me. But I did notice one new bug: after you search a container/object (i.e. leadhead splicer, ashtray, etc.) its text should turn grey. But it doesn't. It still stays white. Hope they fix that via patch, but it's minor.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I have personally seen that glitch in my retail copy when I replayed it 6 months ago. For me it was at Point Prometheus in the Little Wonders Educational Facility.

I'm curious is the glitch pertains to just the retail copy. I'd be really interested to find out if it still works on the remastered version. Neptune's Bounty is the first time you can get this glitch to work so it doesn't take very long to reach that point for testing. There was also another glitch that allowed the player to harvest twice the ADAM from one Little Sister using the changing plasmids after consuming the first Lot 192. I found that one by accident, but with a bit of practice and good timing, I was able to replicate the double ADAM on every Little Sister available. Needless to say, I had so much extra ADAM midway through the game, it was on-par with godmode.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
It crashed for me at the elevator scene. Not going to bother with it. Sad that it's just a console cash grab and they did such a poor job of actually updating it to be compatible for modern PC/operating systems by patching some of the bugs. Getting it to output 5.1 channels of sound using HDMI out with my GTX 970 is the one thing I can't seem to do with the original version of the game. The sound vanishes.

I could move the sound card back in there and use optical out to my receiver while plugging something into the microphone slot of I was that desperate to play it again but I'm not that desperate. Doing the microphone slot trick always seemed to work.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I discovered a bug in Bioshock 2 when you go into the research camera section to see your research levels. Hitting close to exit that screen doesn't work.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Patch released this afternoon fixing quite a lot.

BioShock 1
  • Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
  • 21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
  • Resolved several graphical issues on NVidia hardware
  • New Graphics options available for lower-end machines
  • Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed
  • Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
  • Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
  • Settings will no longer automatically reset on improperly shutting down BioShock
  • Speaker Mode should now be selectable from the Audio Options Menu
  • Fixed an initialization bug with Audio System.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

BioShock 2
  • Field-Of-View is now adjustable from 75 to 130 in the Graphics Options Menu.
  • 21:9 Resolutions are now available. UI supports 2 modes (Stretch or Centered) at these resolutions.
  • Mouse Button 4 and 5 assignments fixed.
  • Mouse Icon Size is now adjustable and will scale with resolution.
  • Several improvements have been made to Mouse Sensitivity, Threshold, and Buffering
  • DirectX 11 Performance improvements
  • Fixed several graphical issues with Occlusion Culling.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Now, why didn't they do this in the first place, instead of rushing it out?