PSA: Better quality cheese is worth the $$

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
In my ever-continuing quest to balance quality and value in my grocery budget, I decided to splurge on more expensive cheese this week. I bought a small block of Bothwell's marbled cheddar for about $7. A store-brand brick of cheddar (about double the size) goes for only $5.

Not only does this cheese taste better (stronger flavour), it is also higher quality - it doesn't crumble to pieces when I use a slicer to cut off a few slices.

It is well known that store brand products for many foods (e.g. beans, tuna, frozen fruits and veggies, etc.) are of comparable quality and nutrition to the more expensive brands, while costing far less.

But now I know that it's not worth it to skimp on cheese. I look forward to trying other varieties of high-quality fromage in the weeks ahead :).

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
There are people who didn't know this?
Cheap cheese is alright for putting in something.
"Expensive" cheese is better for eating where you want the flavour of the cheese to come through. That being said, it doesn't always need to be expensive to be nice(r).
Cheap cheese as part of a pizza topping or similar, more expensive cheese in a sandwich.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Lonyo
"Expensive" cheese is better for eating where you want the flavour of the cheese to come through. That being said, it doesn't always need to be expensive to be nice(r).
Cheap cheese as part of a pizza topping or similar, more expensive cheese in a sandwich.

Well, I don't usually eat a lot of cheese, but I wanted some good stuff for sandwiches and on crackers, and this Bothwell's seems really good.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo

exactly. cheap cheese is good for putting in or on something.

Good cheese is good for eating or as the main flavor.

Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha
Well, I don't usually eat a lot of cheese, but I wanted some good stuff for sandwiches and on crackers, and this Bothwell's seems really good.

find a place that has a lot of cheese adn try them all. We have a meat market near us. It has a huge cheese and olive selection. they will le tyou try them all.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
While walking around our new neighborhood the other day, my wife and I stumbled upon a cheese store. While the cheese is very good (they're liberal with samples), I try to limit how often we visit. The cheese is $20/lb and up, and I'm sure a cheese habit can get much more expensive.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: waggy

find a place that has a lot of cheese adn try them all. We have a meat market near us. It has a huge cheese and olive selection. they will le tyou try them all.

There is a pretty good selection in my supermarket and also at a local meat market, so I will do some sampling.

Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Bongard's Sharp Cheddar for me. Try it out sometime.

Thanks for the recommendation.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I ended up getting a wedge of cheddar from Costco still covered in cheesecloth and wax. I'm not a huge fan of cheddar, but this stuff by far exceeded the store bricks by a mile and then some. Best part - it was maybe $1/lb more expensive at best.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Much of the cheap sandwich cheese is really processed oil and food coloring; not true cheese.

Read the labels.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Dude, you are officially roped into a cheese eating thingamajig at my place. There's a cheese shop nearby. We shall consume cheese (THAT's gonna end up in a sig).

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Much of the cheap sandwich cheese is really processed oil and food coloring; not true cheese.

Read the labels.

Well, I've always stayed away from Kraft Singles and other processed "cheeses", but I always thought store brand was at least real cheese.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
No doubt Buddha, I love a good cheese and you defnitely get what you pay for. Les Amis is actually not all that expensive and they have a tonne of great fromage!

KT

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Read the labels.

Well, I've always stayed away from Kraft Singles and other processed "cheeses", but I always thought store brand was at least real cheese.

Kraft singles has its place. it makes great grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids!

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: silverpig
Dude, you are officially roped into a cheese eating thingamajig at my place. There's a cheese shop nearby. We shall consume cheese (THAT's gonna end up in a sig).

:thumbsup: Awesome. I'm so there.

And of course we need some good wines too :wine::).

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
truffle infused pecorino

I had a truffled gouda from D&D in Napa a couple of years back that was amazing! I've never been able to find anything comparable up here. :(

KT

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
No doubt Buddha, I love a good cheese and you defnitely get what you pay for. Les Amis is actually not all that expensive and they have a tonne of great fromage!

KT

*Checks the website and salivates profusely*

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Heh, I guess we'll have to invite KT to come too, if his yaletown ego will allow him to come visit the lowly people of Kerrisdale :)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Heh, I guess we'll have to invite KT to come too, if his yaletown ego will allow him to come visit the lowly people of Kerrisdale :)

No worries, I'll go buy some jorts and Birkenstocks so I can fit in. :p

KT

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007

Um, if Kerrisdale is "lowly", does that make Burnaby a freaking ghetto? :(