Info [PSA] Amazon's new game reportedly causing GPUs to brick

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
yeah but i heard its minimum 2 weeks without a card... and sometimes even longer.
Jay says his contacts told him they are doing these immediately, some are even being cross shipped. EVGA is in full damage control mode, and going to salvage as much good will as possible?

Reactions: Leeea

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Maybe this game pushes the 400-500W AIB cards to the limit, beyond the reference or FE cards.

The most intensive games I've played are Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus with RT. The latter runs at noticeably lower clocks than anything else, probably because it hits the power limit. RT games in general are more power hungry than anything non RT.
It's the menu screen which had an uncapped frame rate before they fixed it. So running those menus at several thousand fps obviously was pushing some part of the hardware too hard.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Guys heres my experience...

Its definitely the rear VRAM.

Here is Temps my @ Intro Screen:
New World - Intro.gif

Notice Hot Spot and Memory Temp.... its nice and chill @ 46C.

Here is my Game Settings:
New World Settings.PNG

Here is where stuff hits the fan..
While playing.gif

Note i have active cooling on my rear ram sinks.
The game pushes your rear VRAM as hard as mining if not more, as i have even seen that sucker spike to 76C which made me re think my rear heat sink.

I can see that rear ram giving out after a couple of hours, and if there is no safty on it, once that dies, the card i believe dies.
Anyhow i am working on Rev. 2 on how to keep that backplate in check while i play this game.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lmao you guys do not want to see what it took to keep that plate in check.... :X
I think i have more cooling on that backplate then OEM's like Dell / HP has on CPU.
This is Rev.2

20210723_135433.jpg

oh boy... ok i may need to take back my comment on Idiots...

Even i am having problems keeping this backplate in check on this game longer then 2 hours on my original sinks.... this badboy i'll let u guys know..
That is a dell 1U server heatsink i put thermal paste on the copper part, and thermal tape on the side. Single heat pipe....
The other is a thermalright mosfet heatpipe sink i had from way long ago... i finally get to use it.. :D

I am estimating that package over there should be roughly 200W of good cooling..
I may just want to buy a much beefier backplate like the one from optimus tho if i can't keep this in check.

now other problems... if it takes this much mass in sinks... well, i hope you have a card saver, because i can see the card bowing and later on developing GPU sag from that much weight.

Luckily my build is a horizontal build, so the cards sit in a neutral position.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It seems the FE card would be even worse than most AIB ones because the backplate is not connected to anything else and has no fan coverage. It may actually explain why the GPU temp on it is cooler than many AIB cards. I wonder if it's possible to undervolt the memory in the same way as the GPU and reduce the heat.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Can the frame rate limit on the main menu still be uncapped using Fast Sync in the Nvidia Control Panel?

I'm not gonna buy the game, but I would love to see this tested one day again. This is a game as a service though, so we won't be able to just download an offline version of New Worlds with an uncapped frame limit.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Can the frame rate limit on the main menu still be uncapped using Fast Sync in the Nvidia Control Panel?

I'm not gonna buy the game, but I would love to see this tested one day again. This is a game as a service though, so we won't be able to just download an offline version of New Worlds with an uncapped frame limit.

yea currently there is 2 ways to cap frame rate..

but i didn't buy a 3090 + Gsync Ultimate Monitor to play with Vsync and 60fps cap'd

:\

Feb 4, 2009
Interesting take.

I don't agree with it, of course.

If a person could do anything they wanted to hardware and still get it warranted, things like heavily overclocking CPUs with dry ice and plotting chia on SSDs would also be covered. You'd hate to own the company that had to cover these kind of losses (kind of like the old "lifetime" electronic rent-a-center abuse Costco dealt with before changing it to 90 days)

You would be modifying it in this scenario and I do believe a heavily modified piece of equipment should have its warranty voided.
I agree with @Hitman928 if the card is rated to run at whatever speed and nothing has changed it should run at that speed.
If EVGA wants fewer claims they shouldn’t run it on the bleeding edge.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
useless unrelated personal antidote:
While playing mwo last night I noticed that my system would cap out at exactly 4000 fps in some of the loading screens. I wonder if that is an AMD limit or a game limit? I suspect AMD limit, because the game normally limits itself to 60 fps in the menus.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
cpu limit.

Not when it is an exact limit. Cpu limits would not be an even number like that, and would oscillate around. When the FPS counter sits at exactly 4000, it is some sort of software limit somewhere. It is either the game (knowing mwo code quality, unlikely) or amd's driver.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't have this game (and am not interested in it) but see GPU-Z memory temprature go to 90C in Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus. I have a Corsair case sensor on the backplate that goes to 80C, so the thermal interface seems ok but the backplate is not dissipating enough heat. This heatsink seems to be the right size, I'll try it out and see if it improves things.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh still having some issues keeping the thing under 70 even with that sink.

I know 70 is perfectly safe..... but i really like keeping things very cold, hence why most of my video cards i pass down, last a very long time.

I am going to have to do some more digging, maybe find a better backplate.
I think Optimus PC has a very thick one for my card.

Anyhow... this one wins... lol.

RZSr1GW.jpeg

LOLz....
The more and more i dig... the funnier and funnier these things get.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
70 is more than fine if you're running it full out, unless it's not actually pulling heat off of the components. Maybe you can get it lower with some exotic solutions, but I don't think it's really buying you anything unless you're going to try to push the card even farther and the cooling doesn't hold up in those scenarios.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Happened to SonOfATech / BlindRun while streaming on twitch. EVGA FTW3 liquid-cooled.

I dont really feel bad for this dude, as im sure he has 50 more mining away.
And he should know better.
He mines, so he should know EXACTLY where the weak back is.

My card is still chugging strong with heatsink mod on rear without having to resort to frame limiting.
Steam says i have 12.8 hours logged in.

Reactions: Muadib and Leeea

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Anyhow... this one wins... lol.

RZSr1GW.jpeg

LOLz....
The more and more i dig... the funnier and funnier these things get.
I guess that's desktop orientation only too?
And I though it was those extra heavy air coolers which mandated horizontal motherboards.
I know it's heresy, but will no watercoolers ever consider pointing one or more fans at the backplate/ back heatsink?
Or at least taking an old waterblock and cementing it to that heatsink? Might look awful, but would it not be effective?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Interesting speculation:

I find it hard to believe the fan control would cause this issue. But I find it easy to believe the fan speed sensor, which detects pulses from the fan rotation, could be spoofed by graphics card wide voltage noise caused unusual load from a different part of the card.